Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New frag, came early

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New frag, came early
    Posted: November 23 2015 at 8:31pm
So I figured I would post here, since a lot of you guys are my friends. Some of you don't know me, but hopefully at some point you will.

On Thursday 11/12/2015,my wife and I had our first child. He came early, 29weeks gestation. So needless to say he has been and will be in the NICU till around the end of January if all goes well. He was 11 1/2" long and 1 pound 10.9 ounces.

We found out from the doctor during the middle of the c-section that my wife has 1/2 of a uteris, so 1 ovary, 1 fallopian tube. So he is a little miracle that he was even conseved. But these are also the reasons he is only the size of a 24week old.

On Friday 11/13 he was life flight from IMC in Murray (really close to our house) to primary childrens for emergency surgery. He had a perforation in his intestins/bouls.

They surgery went as well as it could. And everything has been going pretty well since then. He hasnt gained any weight yet but, they are hoping soon.

tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 8:44pm
Our prayers and thoughts are with you and Tiffany, Chad.
I have been following you guys on FB.  Hoping for nothing but the best, and if Vickie and I can do anything to help. please let us know.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 9:09pm
Honestly if there is anything I can do please let me know. You and your family will be in our prayers.

Text or call for anything. 4358906626 Dennis
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 9:53pm
Thanks to Tiffany I too have been following along. Best wishes to you.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 9:59pm
Hopefully everything goes well buddy, ur family it's gonna be in my prayers too.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 10:09pm
Thanks guys.

Brad and Adam, I knew you 2 have been following along. We were trying to keep some stuff on the down-low till now cause my brother was in Indonesia for work, and emergency flights back were 4k-6k.

Dennis, we were the couple sitting behind you at the Jon Finch meeting a few weeks ago.
jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 10:22pm
Congrats! Fantastic outlook. Glad to hear things are getting better.
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2015 at 11:40pm
Congrats Chad!! Best wishes to you.

Keep us posted.

Duy
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2015 at 11:50pm
Congrats on the new little one. My thoughts are with you guys and yes please let us know if you need anything. And keep us posted:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 8:42am
I figured I would update this for everyone:

On Monday, they wanted him to make a stool. Since he hasn't since birth. And he did! Bad part, he stooled, 5 or six times in a day to where they cut back on his feedings. I didn't put last time, he has a ostomy bag on him because of the surgery, so part of his intestine is outside his body in the ostomy bag.

On Wednesday, night he started to have brady-cardia spells. Where his heartbeat would drop into the low 40-70 bpm. His blood has also been de-saturating (loosing oxygen). They put him back on a noose cannula for oxygen.

The part that worries the DR's is he was off oxygen for 7 days, and now needs to be back on it. They have ran a bunch of tests to see if there is infection, but everything is coming back ok, which means they don't know why it's happening.

He is a little low on red-blood cells, but they are hoping he makes them on his own, so he does not require a blood transfusion.

Reefer4Ever View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefer4Ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2015 at 9:05am
Prayers hopes and wishes are being sent your way. Thank you for the update we have been wondering how things are going.
90 gal reef w/refugium
24 gal softie tank
11 gal nano anemone tank
5 gal fresh water
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 7:59am
Update:

Wednesday-Wednesday was a ruff week, he had 2 blood transfusions, put back on antibiotics, had to get fluid taken from around his spine 3 times to check for meningitis. Had a lot of brady-cardia and de-saturations. Plus had to have Infectious Disease team come in and do ultrasounds and blood work.

Infections Disease team told them to take him off antibiotics because he didn't have anything wrong, and all other tests (meningitis, UTI, pneumonia etc) came back negative.

The blood transfusions helped alot and his brady-desats are less and less. If they do happen, the DR's and nurses don't have to intervene much anymore.

Since about Thursday, he has been doing slowly better, putting on a little weight, he is at 1010 grams (2 lbs 3ounces).

My wife wants me to mention, she has got to hold him a few times also. usually they were short times cause he wasn't responding well, but Friday night she go to hold him for 2 hours.

Every parent at the NICU says, it's a roller coaster with ups and downs. So hold on to the good days

jdinchak View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdinchak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 10:01am
You have had an amazing outlook and positivity through this. Reading the description of your week sounded horrible and I was not even involved. Hoping for a great week!
180G Mixed Reef Tank

170G Dart Frog Tank
Baghtal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baghtal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2015 at 10:35am
Best of luck for everything. 

Those Dr's at PCMC are amazing and are some of the most competent and compassionate people in the industry. You're in good hands.

Please keep up with the updates. I hope all ends well 
I like to think that the moon is there, even when I'm not looking at it.
~Albert Einstein
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 6:51pm
Update:

The past week has been ok, he has still been having his brady-desats, but they have been mostly self resolving.

They are still thinking they may need to do another blood transfusion, but are waiting. Or at least the last I heard they are waiting, maybe I should ask my wife.

He had an ultrasound done on his head yesterday and the results are he still has a level 1 brain bleed/ hemorrhage or a premi brain, they can't tell a difference in an ultrasound. So they will do a cat scan in the next while.

He has been putting on weight, and growing lately so that's a good sign.

It will still be along road, but it's baby steps (no pun intended). I am thankful he is healthier than other babies there. He is still the smallest baby up there also.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2015 at 7:41pm
Sorry you are having these struggles. Best to you and your wife and prayers for your baby.

badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 12:17pm
UPDATE:

its been awhile since i have updated, so i wanted to give an update.

The day after i last posted, he had to have 2 more blood transfusions. They determined that since he was born so little that his body was not making his blood at the rate it should.

Last night we got told they are starting to measure his head, every day instead of once a week. Why? I dont know, brain swelling? brain bleeds? maybe its cause his head is growing 3 centimeters more than it should. But hey my wife and i both have big heads so i am not too concerned. My wife just told me in the past week it has grown normally, so the doctors believe that one nurse miss-read the measurement

But in between those two days, things have been going upwards and well enough. As of today he weighs 4lbs 4 ounces, he was moved into a crib and out of the isolate. He is still on high-flow oxygen, and occasionally has desats.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2016 at 10:16pm
Great news! Thanks for the update.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 9:15pm
UPDATE:

Last few days, haven't been the best. I dont know it seams like everything went backwards. They tell us he may have a large heart. They tell us he had to go back on cpap.They tell us he had a rough day.

Most days have always been up and up, then since 2 days ago it has been down. I try to see the best in all this but January 28th is rapidly approaching(his proper due date) and it's all going backwards.

Sometimes I write on this so I read it, and see what has happened since I don't have Facebook or a blog.

To end on a positive note, he is not critical or anything just having issues. I hope they all stay here when we leave with him... my wife hopes by valentine's I am hoping by the end of March now. He still has 1 more surgery to repair his intestines. And then heal
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2016 at 10:00pm
I'm so sorry it has to be heartbreaking to watch and feel. I hope things start to look up for your little family.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic