Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new bamboo shark hasn't ate yet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new bamboo shark hasn't ate yet
    Posted: January 04 2015 at 6:12pm
I just bought a bamboo shark egg last week. he hatched the very next day. I've tried to spot feed him krill, but every time my other fish are all over it almost instantly. I've tried holding the feeder in front of shark with one hand and batting away the other fish with tongs. But doesn't work very well. I have had a  better chance last night, when the other fish were sleeping, I wiggled a piece of krill in front of him, but ignored it. any advice?
125g Aggressive tank
SWC-Xtreme cone prtein skimmer
40g Sump
------------------------------
16g Innovative Marine Reef
AI led 75W
aporter360 View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aporter360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 6:21pm
ive heard about live ghost shrimp bringing out a natural feeding instinct.. could try that.
54 gallon rimless mixed
EA sump
1 year running
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 9:30pm
yes, I've been reading that as well. I cant find any LFS that have them. and all the online stores say that are out, and they are seasonal. :(
DRack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2015 at 9:39pm
Have you tried these guys? http://livebrineshrimp.com/
A Reef Oasis View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Reef Oasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 1:10am
We have live Grass Shrimp.
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 9:04am
I don't have any experience with sharks, but I would think you would want to entice him with something more meaty.  I can't picture and shark going after a ghost shrimp.  But like I said, I have no experience, so I could be wrong :) 

Edited by love2skiutah - January 05 2015 at 9:04am
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 10:50am
I agree,I wonder if it's simply because they are live, and are mostly on the sand bed low for the sharks to get them. I did have success late last night, I tried squad instead. but he would only eat it if it was wiggled right in front of his face. if there were pieces laying right next to him he would not eat it. maybe his predator instincts tell him he needs life food?
A Reef Oasis View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Reef Oasis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 12:35pm
Live Grass shrimp will almost always entice any of the predators to eat (Sharks, Sting Rays, Eels, Lionfish, Sea horses, Cuttlefish, ect). The key is just get them to eat (so they dont starve), and then train them on to Frozen foods. Not only will they eat ghost shrimp, but they will eat cleaner shrimp, fire shrimp, peppermint shrimp, ect. 
Yes, their instinct is to eat live foods. There are feeder sticks you can buy just for training these fish to eat frozen. Or you can make your own. All you need is a piece of clear 3/16" ridge tubing, cut one end on an angle so you can impale food and just wiggle lightly in front of the fish. that way your fingers are not in his face.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 1:09pm
Glad you got him to eat. My sharks have always loved squid. That is what I primarily feed my current shark, a coral cat shark. That and clownfish
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 4:47pm

he is now eating like a champ! but I still have to wiggle it in front of him and he'll get it instantly. But even if there is a piece laying on the sand right under his nose he wont get it. hopefully that will just come with time. Not that I mind spot feeding him though, its pretty fun haha.

I may buy some marine shrimp form livebrineshrimp.com if anybody want to go in on it. they are only $13 for 50  but shipping is $25. which makes them $.80 ea.  so i'll probably do 100. and sell for $.65 ea. or if anyone just want to buy half. just split cost. so about $27 for 50 shrimp :)

DRack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DRack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 5:33pm
I'll get in on that with you.
herrera View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herrera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2015 at 7:13pm
awesome! i'll place order thenSmile I'll PM when they get here

Edited by herrera - January 05 2015 at 7:14pm
Spooooooner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spooooooner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2015 at 10:50am
I had the exact same problem mine would not eat any fish or shrimp so I went down and bought squid patties from albertsons sliced it up in smaller peices and then it went nuts for it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic