Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Discolored Mushrooms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rodney Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodney Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Discolored Mushrooms
    Posted: July 14 2003 at 9:12am
I had an infestation recently of flatworms and all my mushrooms went white.  The flatworms have been gone for a couple of weeks but the color has not returned.  Does anyone have any ideas on this?
Rodney Peterson
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 9:40am
How did you get rid of the flatworms?  Did you use any chimicals?
John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodney Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 12:02pm
I used Greenex, but they went white long before the treatment
Rodney Peterson
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 2:15pm
The second thing then is, what kind of lighting are you using type and Wattage?  Why I ask is because, my mushrooms that are not in a lot of light have no color or white.   Move them into more light or your lights could be old and need to be replaced.
John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 2:27pm

Why corals bleach, from what I gather, is not fully understood.  Some of the more likely causes are high water temperature, drastic change in lighting intensity and bacteria infection.  There's not a whole lot you can do other then wait it out... either the xoo will return or it won't.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 3:03pm
Didn't some people have a problem with corals bleaching when they used that Crystal Seas salt?  Did you use that? 
RTaylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTaylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 8:47pm

My story on the subject:

I have two 175w MH 10000K Hamiltons over my 90gal. On one side I have a brand new bulb from Bird World on the other side I have a old bulb (bought used w/ setup) The old bulb is noticeable dimmer. I have placed a Favities, a Fungia, a Sarcophyton (sp?), a fuzzy shroom rock, and a brown/green shroom rock all on the new bulb side and everyone of them has bleached out except the B/G shrooms. I have saved the Fungia by moving it to the other side, The sarco is doing better on the other side, I am losing the battle with the Favities, and the fuzzy shroom is now under the shadow of the overflow and I'm awaiting results. I only have the MH's on 6 hrs a day, but am wondering what I'm going to do when I need to replace the other bulb?

RT
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 10:12pm
Do not assume that a coral that has bleached will die.  That is a natural defense for the coral.  Treat them as you would any other "healthy" coral and they may very well get their algae back.  I believe it was Kirk that posted about "how to acclimate new corals" and I responded with slowly increasing the light.  I'll bet that is why your coral "bleached" but just give them time and they may come back.  It would be very hard for us, as hobbyists, to accurately recreate the sun's effect in our aquariums so I do not believe that you are hurting these corals.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodney Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 6:23am

I will need to check on the brand of salt.  I did replace the lights (I use one Acintic blue and one regular white compact flourecents), but that was after they had bleached out.  I got some sand from Asad yesterday, I'll see what that does.

Thanks!

Rodney Peterson
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2003 at 6:51am

You might try feeding a bleached coral more and more often then a normal healthy one.  Although I don't know how much a mushroom eats.  It can take months to get the coloration (zooxanthela) back and the additional food just might allow it to survive that extra month or so.

Rodney, if you need to check to see what brand salt you're using it most likely is not Crystal Seas.  I don't think there's a local distributor for this salt which means you have to really want it and go out of your way to find it.

bullitt4932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt4932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 1:15pm
RTaylor-- you might want to run your lights more than 6 hours a day. The sun shines more than 6 hours a day, corals are just like a regular plant and have a photo period. Naybe they are stressing becasue there photo period is being unnaturally shortened.
Just my thoughts
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2003 at 3:07pm
RTaylor,
Looks like no one answered you so here is my opinion:

Coral behave just like humans...they don't like being placed out in the bright light without some conditioning. - SUNBURN - STRESS - ILLNESS - SOMETIMES DEATH. I agree with Marcus, most seemingly "dead" coral can recover if given proper conditions and time. Sometimes only a spot recovers but it's satisfying to see even a spot recover and grow larger month by month.

It is pretty much a "must" that newly acquired coral be placed in lower light and gradually brought into the bright light of a new bulb, being careful not to over-illuminate them. It's my opinion that if you had placed your coral under the old light first and then moved them over gradually or increased the photoperiod gradually over about 2-3 weeks, you may not have bleached any of them.
When replacing bulbs, simply reduce the photoperiod by about half to start with then increase it gradually!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rodney Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 10:48am
Well slowly but surely the color is comming back. It first started to come back when I put in the two camelback clownfish that I won at the meeting. They swam around in them like they would in a anenome. I also added a sump with new sand to my setup. I wonder if the clownfish gave them a spark of life?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2003 at 11:42pm
That's great to hear, Rod.
My Acro, Blastimosa and Green Stars have finally recovered color lost because of the ill-fated Salifert Flatworm Exit treatment.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic