FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Black Algae on Live Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Algae on Live Rock
    Posted: February 07 2007 at 6:34pm

I have this black algae growing on my live rock.  It doesn't grow on any of the other rocks or the sand and it doesn't look like any algae I've seen before.  It can be vaccuumed off easily, but it comes back in a day.  Here's a picture.

The tank is a 12 gallon nano that I got about 4 months ago from someone else.  I kept the live sand from them the original owner.  I put 100% live water in it and 2 live rocks with the rest being Utah rock.  I just recently added the damsel, the pom poms, a few hermits and snails.  I put a peppermint shrimp in about a month ago, but he died in 4 days.

Ammonia 0
Phosphates 0

I'm not sure what else to check because there's nothing else in the tank to deplete calc, alk or magnesium.  I'm not sure I've check ph .. hmmm.

Heat may be an issue, the room it is in can get pretty warm, but the tank seems to stay around 80.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 8:03pm
It's cyano bacteria.
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 8:41pm
how do you get rid of this slime?
Rhine Lenhart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhine Lenhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 9:01pm
I was leaning more towards black sponge...

55 Gal Reef.
30 Gal Fuge.

957-9197
2007 presidency
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 9:13pm
I agree. Cyano.

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 10:14pm
Amie,

I have the same cyano in my display. It grows only in one spot and returns almost as quickly as I blow it off!

It will disappear after I change my MH bulbs. It does every year! Then, the late this year it will come back until I replace the bulbs in 2008.

Drives me crazy. But it is a good reminder of when to change bulbs each year.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 1:24am
Okay, so general consensus is that it's cyano.  Thanks guys.  So what is the brownish red stuff that gets all over, flows back and forth in the current and you can't pull it off the rock.  I thought THAT was cyano. 

jfinch, I've never heard of it being a light issue.  I thought that the three things that you did to get rid of cyano was reduce feeding and lighting, and increase circulation.  Am I totally confused and thinking of something else? 

Why would it only be growing on the live rock, is there die-off happening on the rock?  I guess I need to read up on cyano bacteria a little bit more. 

Thanks for all the help.  I hate setting up new tanks because I always get a new problem that I  didn't have the last time I set one up.  Give me a year old tank any day!

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 9:13am
The growth of cyano can certainly be influenced by light, nutrients, water movement, etc.

Often times just increasing the flow to a certain area will dissuade cyano from growing.

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2007 at 8:33am
We still can't get rid of ours any suggestions?   We've tried the increased water flow, we don't have mh and we've decreased our feedings.

Edited by frednwilma1999 - February 10 2007 at 9:44am
Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 12:05am
bumpBig%20smile
Wade View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 11:00am
Can't it also be a result of alkalinity being out of range? Have you tested your calcium and alkalinity to see if they're OK?
lil' man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lil' man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 9:32pm
What is your light cycle? If your tank gets to much light it will help the growth. Try a shorter light cycle, more water flow, and as Shane said it could be old bulbs. It can also happen with power compact lighting as far as I know. I also get this problem when my pc bulbs get old.
How big is the problem rock? I would suggest removing the rock if it is not needed.

Edited by lil' man - February 12 2007 at 9:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic