Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Puffer vs. Coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rob Lemmon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Lemmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Puffer vs. Coral
    Posted: July 25 2003 at 3:04pm

I currently have a 45 gal. FOWLR, and am dying to start collecting coral.  I have 75 gal. I'm working on for a reef only tank, but it is months away still.  Does any one know of any corals I could house with a porcupine puffer?  I've heard they love to eat most of them, and don't feel like paying 30-50 bucks for one meal!

Thanks,

Rob Lemmon
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2003 at 9:35pm

I do not know about eating the coral itself, but he will eat any inverts like shrimp or crabs or small fish.  I wouldn't do it.  I saw a porcupine puffer try to eat a frogfish.

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2003 at 9:31pm
You could always try some cheap frags. That way you will find out from first hand experance and it wont cost you to much. Many people will sell small frags for 5 - 10 dollars. You said you have 2 tanks. I would put the puffer in the 75 and make the 45 a reef.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2003 at 7:03am
You can have some of our stuff ,after the tour.(there's this curse thing)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Lemmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2003 at 11:48am
Thanks Suzy, what kind of frags might you have available? After the tour of course.

P- You know that's a good idea. I'll have to think about it for a while. I've already invested a couple of bucks on making the 75 a reef, but all that equipment would make for a really nice FOWLR tank.
Rob Lemmon
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2003 at 12:14pm
Hi, Rob! We got some polyps, some 'shrooms, some encrusting gorgonian,ect. Maybe some of the less tastier stuff. (Although I have not a clue what a puffer would think tasty!)
utahtaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahtaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2003 at 9:57pm
You can have some of my Zenia. I have Yellow polyps as well. They both need to be cut back as they are taking over.
Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 2:07pm
If you want something that has the appearance of having coral in your tank, you could always go with a Condylactis Anemone, or another stinging type Anemone. I had a couple of anemones in my FOWLR tank a couple of years back. The puffer never bothered them.
My advice though, is this #1- find a good home for your puffer, like Seabase or your LFS for credit and get into doing a full on reef because you'll do it eventually anyway or #2- Use the 45 as your reef and keep your FOWLR, because Puffers are really cool.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob Lemmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2003 at 2:44pm
Thanks for the advice Ryan. I am going to go with the 75 FOWLR, and 45 reef. When he gets too big, I'll donate it to seabase.
Rob Lemmon
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2003 at 5:06pm
Excellent idea to donate to SeaBase, Rob. Many WMAS members have done just that.

The coral I would try with your Puffer is Woods Polyps. It grows like a weed,
stings the hec out of most everything else,
doesn't crash like Xenia,
and looks great with long tentacles flowing in the current. (it can be seen in my gallery pics and TOTM pics)

I think you could get some free if you ask on this board to catch the next time someone is cutting their weeds!

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic