Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lighting for a 210 Gal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lighting for a 210 Gal
    Posted: May 20 2011 at 12:01pm
Im sure lots of you seen the post from Danny selling his 210 (220?). Well, I will be buying this, but want to change a few things. He has 5 400w metal halides in the canopy, but I want to sell these and go with t5's. I have a 6x80w ATI over my 125 right now and really like it. Im pretty sure the 6 bulb wouldnt be able to give me everything I want for this tank. Correct me if im wrong (save me moneyLOL). If I could use that fixture and maybe add some kind of supplements to it I would be open to ideas. But my initial thought was to go with a TEK 8 bulb fixture and use the fans that are already in the canopy for the halides. So basically im asking what would you do? Lets hear your ideas and opinions!
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 12:11pm
Heres a link to his pictures of the tank

Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 12:35pm
6 Bulb ATI = 8 Bulb Tek.....

I would add a couple Reefbrite LED strips to your ATI and you'd be set to house anything you want in the tank.

Reefbrite Led strips provide the same amount of light output as two t5 ATI blue pluses....plus the added shimmer would be a great setup.

Or the other option....

Sell the 6 bulb and get an 8 bulb ATI....but I think you would be very happy with your current light with some added Reefbrites or strong led supplementation (crees, etc.)

I currently run a 6 bulb T5 LET retro, with a DIY LED strip lit with 22 CREE 3 watt leds, the lighting and shimmer is awesome!

P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 3:38pm
I like the idea of supplementing with LED's, but I just checked the price of those reefbrites and they are pretty spendy... How many would I really need?

Other ideas?
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:01pm
I've thought about supplementing with LED's too... Fosters and Smith Aquatics and Marine Depot have the 12.5" 'ecoxotic' strips for ~$50 each... Not sure how that compares with the reefbrites.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21598

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_12.5_Inch_Stunner_6_watt_LED_Strip_Linkable_LED_Light_Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX08010-FILTFILDLK-vi.html

I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:15pm
Same thing, or better yet, do DIY, epoxy on some Cree Royal blues and blues, solder together, connect to a dimming circuit and Tah Dah, you now have blue supplementation and new moon lights.
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by philhender philhender wrote:

I've thought about supplementing with LED's too... Fosters and Smith Aquatics and Marine Depot have the 12.5" 'ecoxotic' strips for ~$50 each... Not sure how that compares with the reefbrites.

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=21598

http://www.marinedepot.com/Ecoxotic_12.5_Inch_Stunner_6_watt_LED_Strip_Linkable_LED_Light_Fixtures-Ecoxotic-XX08010-FILTFILDLK-vi.html

Thanks for the links Phil. 
Do the ecoxotic's put out very much PAR? My biggest concern is that the 210, with its 6" increased depth over my 125 and however much taller it is, wont get as much light as I want it to so that I can place SPS corals where I want them
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by Josh95 Josh95 wrote:

Same thing, or better yet, do DIY, epoxy on some Cree Royal blues and blues, solder together, connect to a dimming circuit and Tah Dah, you now have blue supplementation and new moon lights.

Thanks Josh. I thought about going the DIY route, but I dont know if my OCD will let me do it. Looking at the exposed wires would drive me crazy. LOL I like the look of the reefbrites cause they are very sleek looking like my ati, but I dont know if I can swing the money it would cost to put them in there.... 

If I did do the LED supplements, do you guys think I would need to put some strips in the front and back of my ati fixture?
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:57pm
Stunner Strips won't do it for ya.....I've spoken with fellow reefers that said that they really don't even notice they are on with their t5s on.  PAR is quite low on those as well...I believe, they would only add 50-100 PAR to your tank, but mostly are used as glorified moonlights that add excellent color for night viewing....I have seen 4-6 strips used to light small biocubes...... for your size tank, current light setup, etc....it is best to fork out the cash for Reefbrites or make a DIY 3 watt LED strip or strips.....My led strip puts out roughly 60 watts or so of LED power and I did it for under $150 bucks....fun project too
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 4:59pm
For your other question....I would do one strip in front and one in back, and then angle them inward.....this is easily done of the reefbrite brackets and is also easy to do DIY led strips.  Keep in mind, if you want greater "shimmer" effect you need to include some "white" leds of so sort in the setup....
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

For your other question....I would do one strip in front and one in back, and then angle them inward.....this is easily done of the reefbrite brackets and is also easy to do DIY led strips.  Keep in mind, if you want greater "shimmer" effect you need to include some "white" leds of so sort in the setup....

I was thinking front and back would be necessary too. The other part that discourages me from doing the DIY thing is the time. Im not home very often, and already have a hard time keeping up with just my normal house stuff. Laziness might have a part in that...Confused
Do you think I could get some thin heat sinks and maybe do like 6 18"ers, three on front and three on the back, and mount them to my ati?
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 11:25pm
You could go that route, but heat sinks are highly overrated when it comes to Leds.....don't get me wrong, you need them, but larger heat sinks are unnecessary.  What I would do, and what I did Wink, is really easy and looks nice and clean.  Just get a 4 foot or however long your tank is U or L channel at home depot (aluminum 1 1/4 inch or so).  Mount the leds about 2-4 inches in between, and run them at the recommended current and you'll be set.  If you want to max them out you can add a couple small CPU fans, but it isn't necessary.  The aluminum channel I have houses 20 LEDs just fine and the heat sink stays plenty cool.  I also used "solderless" connectors to connect everything because they are simple and I am not very handy, nor did I want to get a solder gun.  This made the DIY setup very easy....you could always start cheap, maybe 12-14 leds, then add more as you deem it necessary....
BnK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BnK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2011 at 11:49pm
hey bur01014 about how much did it cost you to do this?
Brett and Kristine | Layton, UT | Brett's e-mail: [email protected] | Kristine's e-mail: [email protected]
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 4:38am
im more of a visual person, could you post a picture of your lights? Also, where did you get the solderless LED's?
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2011 at 12:19pm
This is an old cell phone pic, I have since cleaned it up some, but you kinda get the idea.  I have the strip just plain aluminum and used some L brackets from Home Depot to mount it to my fixture and rotated it in at an angle some.  I also added two 9 watt royal blue LED pucks as you can see, these run last by themselves and have a great moonlight/true actinic look....great pop!  I also chose to stagger them with a middle gap, since I have a two rock island scape...but may add 2 or 4 more leds soon to fill in the middle some. 

Did this particular strip for under $150 I believe and got everything (including solderless connectors) at reefledlights.com or rapidled.com has the same stuff as well and same prices.....all Leds are either Royal Blue, Cool White, or Neutral White, Cree Leds.

P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 11:57am
Thanks for the picture. That really helps me see what I can do. I think im going to do this. I have so many little questions though... If I want to have the LED strips to put out what looks like a 20k look, maybe even a little bit more blue, what kind of color combo would I want to do? How many LED's can i run on one driver?
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 12:19pm
Well there is so many options.....perhaps you could be more specific on what you want colorwise with the t5s included....

for example, you could strictly run all Royal Blue leds for excellent pop if you plan on having "white" or "daylight" t5 bulbs (ATI Aquablues)

if you want more shimmer, add some cool white or neutral white leds....

I personally did 70/30 Royal Blues & Neutral Whites.....the whites give me the shimmer and having more blues keep the tank from looking too white...BUT, I do not run any "white" T5 bulbs, because the white leds give me all that I need.....I like a very blue and rich color look...

So I would probably recommend 2 Royal Blues to every 1 white....as a standard setup, then you can get a couple drivers that are dimmable or standard....but you can dim them as you please to get the right color....I don't think dimming is necessary when using leds only as a supplemental setup to a T5 fixture.....but it is important to be able to run only the blues or only the whites depending on your dawn and dusk look (hence perhaps two separate drivers for each color)....there is just so many options...think about what you really want from your fixture and it will be easy to setup and get the right setup going....

Btw- a meanwell driver typically can run 8-12 leds.....however, there have been some DIY drivers out there for like 5 bucks in cost, but I tend to pay a little more and keep it simple since I am not really good with electronics and what not.
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 3:37pm
The bulbs I have in my fixture now are 3 blue plus, 1 kz fiji purple, 1 ati actinic,  and 1 aquablue. When all 6 are on its a little too white for me. I can easily swap out the actinic bulb or the aquablue to get the color I want, so if I get the t5's to the color I want, which is also a nice blue color, would I be good to do 2 blue LED's for every 1 white? 

I did a little sketch in paint to kinda show what im thinking about doing. Forgive the low quality, but it gets the point accross...

I was thinking of doing 15 on the front and 9 on the back. That way I can still get away with only having to use two drivers. Sorry for all the rookie questions, but what would the color look like, and would this be enough light for sps to grow a little under the half way mark on the tank? Thanks again for all the help
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2011 at 5:08pm
Plenty of light for your tank with this setup. 

I run 3 blue plus, 2 purple plus, and 1 ati actinic.....hence, hardly no white in the tank, but with the white leds, it creates a nice contrast...so an aquablue would just make my tank too white. 

I think your setup is just about right for YOUR preference....but, one other thing.  Swap out two white leds for two "blue" leds.....these aren't the typical royal blues, just the normal blues.  I think this will get you to the look you want.  (20k, and those normal blues pop other colors the royal blues don't...but only keep it to two because too many can cause the windex look...put them on the front strip...)

After the strips are done, you may want to swap the aquablue for another color t5 bulb, because I think your white leds will provide you with plenty of bright white light.  Perhaps another purple or blue plus would be nice.  However, I am true actinic fan...yes they have low PAR, but look brillant and with the supplemental leds I am able to take a hit and have actinic bulbs Wink

One last note:  Typically, when T5/LED hybrid setups, people usually don't run optics on their leds.  Some reasons: fixture is only 4-6 inches above tank, optics will cause spotlighting and reduce spread, also too much par in a concentrated area with the fixture that low can fry corals......Now this depends on how high your fixture is, but if it sits in the normal t5 range (4-6 inches) no optics will be necessary.....

Good luck, can't wait to see this beast in action.....one thing to remember, don't worry to much, you can always get a couple different leds, try optics, etc...that is the beauty of a DIY led supplemental strip, once you get it going, it is fairly cheap to change a few things to your liking....
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2011 at 1:48pm
Ive been checking out rapidled.com and reefledlights, and now Im wondering if Ill have enought penetration without optics... Will it be a lot of wasted light if they arent aimed somewhere? Anybody else using optics on a deep tank?
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic