Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bright Yellow Zoa

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
justchillinuno View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justchillinuno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bright Yellow Zoa
    Posted: June 10 2013 at 11:47am
Hello all... just want to know what to call these! I love how bright they are and want more!! 

Please help identify!!

55g - RIP - Moved to 90g
36g Bow holding tank
90g Reef Tank
Dreams of many more!
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2013 at 12:31pm
They may be a Parazoanthus species...hard to tell (and it's hard to tell all zoanthid species apart in general.)
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 7:52am
Aloha,

That's exactly what I was thinking. Commonly known simply as "yellow polyps". Sort of like the dreaded Majano they may spread quickly over rocks. Their powerful sting helps them expand their territory. Most often we see them in a drab yellow-brown color but every once in a while these bright yellow morphs show up, ...until they brown out again. Unhappy

Curious where you acquired them and were there moreQuestion

BTW, I would be careful not to let them attach to a rock you want to keep. Give them their own rock. I've got Utah Rock of all sizes. I'd be happy to give you a free piece for these to colonize.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime to come visit and "talk reef"

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 11 2013 at 7:57am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
seamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2013 at 3:41pm
Justin. Mark's right they are just the yellow polyps. they were more yellow brown when i got them. didnt like the way it looks so i threw it in the sump with less light that's why they are brighter yellow. If you want more i got about 5 polyps left in my sump you're welcome to have them.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic