Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is there a shrimp obgyn in the house?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Yindar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is there a shrimp obgyn in the house?
    Posted: March 13 2009 at 1:29am

It would seem I have a "pregnant" cleaner shrimp.  Big smile

I have two cleaner shrimps.  One I bought from an LFS and one that came with a tank I had bought off a person on KSL who was quitting.  I just noticed today that one of them is holding eggs underneath it's tail.   I once saw a documentary somewhere at some time on tv and remember very little about their reproduction process.  One thing I have noticed and remember hearing about it was they keep "fanning" the eggs for some reason.  Oxygen I think it was?  I have noticed this happening but have no clue what's going to happen next.  I don't remember if they are a-sexual or not.  But the two of them sure hang-out together a lot now.  Just the one is showing signs of eggs. 

I'm afraid that moving them to another tank is out of the question for me atm.  I just tore down my quarantine tank due to an outbreak of flatworms I so luckily inherited from a friend while helping him move a tank.  I treated the tank and left it (having nothing in it but live rock anyway).  Instead of taking a chance on any toxins being left over, I decided to tear it down and restart.  I was planning on having it drilled for a float anyway.  Besides trying to catch it or them in my 210 is not what I even want to try doing.  Ouch  If you have seen my tank you would understand.

So my question(s) is this....What can I expect when they "hatch".  Can anyone tell me the details of this process?  I'm guessing that none would live anyhow.  I have fish in the tank as well.  A Bunch of fat and happy tangs.  I know, I know.  Do some research.  Well.. I just don't have the time.  I'm posting this note just before I head to bed for the night even.  I figured you guru's would be able to tell me faster.  If there is anyone that knows?
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 8:56am
I have about 20 shrimp in my one system. Peppermint, Cleaners and now some marsh. Sunday night I believe they ALL gave birth at the same time. We had baby shrimp everywhere. Will they survive? No. Make good fish and coral food? YES.

Most of mine give birth every 14-20 days. Natural food for your tank. Cleaners are virtually impossible to be raised in a home environment. Peppermint can be with a ton of work and Patience.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 10:06am
As I understand it, the mated shrimp will also change "sex" everytime they molt.  So, the shrimp you see carrying the eggs today, will likely not be the same shrimp you see carrying the eggs next time.

As Dion says, you won't need to worry about what do do with the shrimplings. They will make great food for your fish and maybe even coral.  Unless you are majorly dedicated and prepared with all the right equipment, raising the shrimp will be impossible.

I take it as a reasonable sign that all is well in your aquarium!  Congrats!

Edited by Shane H - March 13 2009 at 10:08am
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 10:07am
Dion - BTW, how are the marsh shrimp doing in your tank?  I've noticed several of mine carrying eggs now.  Its kinda fun watching 50 shrimp go crazy over a piece of squid!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 10:24am
Pretty good. I think there is about 8 left spread through out the nursery. At least one was giving birth with the others on Sunday. Several have made there way into the botello's side and he hasn't touched them. They are fun to watch.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Yindar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yindar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 11:40am

Thats what I figured as well.  I mean, I wasn't hopeful on keeping them or raising them at all.  If any happen to live I will get a trap and try and sell/trade them off.  Already have enough shrimp in my tank as it is.  

Thank you for the input all!  Clap

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic