Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

disapearing polyps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: disapearing polyps
    Posted: December 30 2006 at 11:47pm
can anybody give me an idea what could be happening to my yellow poyps?  I have had about half of them just seem to disapear.  Do they have any enemies?   We have been removing what we are told are a bad worm, a red fire worm?  We also have some little guys that look like some kind of nutebranc (sp?).  All the rest of the tank looks fine but the polyps have disapeared
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 10:03am
I've got a colony that has slowly been losing polyps while I have other colonies that are just fine myself. I haven't noticed any nudibranches, but while doing some research I came across this on the zoa eating nudibranch: http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=18140                                                                                                              
                                                                                                                                       Oh and if you do have one of these guys in your tank, DON'T squish it. Siphon them out..... http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183580

And lastly, a great article on the "bad" nudibranches.... http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-05/rs/index.php

Edited by Snowsrfr - December 31 2006 at 10:05am
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 5:09pm
Peppermints!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 7:29pm
Hermit crabs will eat them also.  I had one that seemed to develope a taste for them so I sent it to the sump and have since not lost any.  The reason I know it was eating them was because I caught it in the act!
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2006 at 11:50pm
Thanks Dion, you answered it.  They started disapearing about the time we got a peppermint shrimp.  Now how do I catch him?

Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2007 at 12:33pm
Put your hand in the tank and when the shrimp comes to clean it (mine always did) net him from behind.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic