Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

somethings wrong with my caulastrea

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: somethings wrong with my caulastrea
    Posted: August 11 2006 at 6:17pm
Hi,
I fed my tank some cyclopeeze this morning. Everything was and is doing fine since then, except a group of candy heads (4 heads in the colony). As you can see, 3 of the heads appear to be ripped apart and the 4th lower head is expelling something. Here are some pictures:

The below picture shows an adjacent colony which is unharmed (I picked this up from marine-aquatics for a very low price since it wasnt doing well and look at it now! thanks marine aquatics!!)

My suspect is the peppermint shrimp. He always troubles this colony after a feeding trying to take out the mysis shrimp I target feed with. Today I wasnt watching and left for school soon after the feeding, so I am assuming the candy collected some cycloppeze and the shrimp tied to get them out.
What do you guys think? And what can I do at this stage? Remove the colony and place it in another tank? Or just let it be?
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2006 at 3:49pm
I would say leave it and see how it does. I don't know what you can do for it anyways, and anything you try might make it worse.   I have stabbed my canycanes (on accident) and they have recovered ok. I don't know if the peppermint shrimp would cause a lot of damage but I don't really know. (My peppermint eventually died and I never got another because I couldn't feed my corals).
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2006 at 6:59pm
I just let them be and they are looking as good as new now.
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 12:33am
they could have been expelling waste because it ate some cyclopeeze.
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2006 at 12:42am
Originally posted by sshm sshm wrote:

I just let them be and they are looking as good as new now.

Glad to hear it

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic