Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LPS problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
El Vato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Vato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LPS problems
    Posted: March 02 2006 at 10:37am
Hi all,
I am having difficulty with a candy cane coral. I have had this coral for about
4 months and it has started to lose heads. Everything else in the tank looks
great. I have several SPS, softies, and LPS (great polyp extentsion and
vibrant colors). Tank specs seem to be in order (i.e. Ph= 8.0, CA=440,
Alkalinity=4.34, temp=80, Salinity=1.025, Ammonia=0, Nitrate=0,
Nitrite=2, Magnesium=1300). Suggestions?
Trey

Edited by El Vato
Logan, UT
Imafishfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imafishfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 11:25pm

Not quite sure if water parameters are good, maybe try a water change. could it be your lights are to strong for them, they don't usually like intense lighting. maybe their not getting enough food or something. maybe to much current?

that's my two cents. I have two different type's that are doing well. they are among my favorite coral types

I swear dear, I didnt buy any more corals, they just multiplied!

235g. acrylic reef tank
Danny
syracuse, Ut.
El Vato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El Vato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 7:51am
Danny,
Thanks for your feedback. I will do a water change however, what parameter
is off? Do you have any other ideas? The coral is near the bottom of the
tank. The lights are (2) 250 watt 15K bulbs and 2 VHOs. I don't think that
they are starving for food however, I have not target fed in the past. Any
other suggestions?
Logan, UT
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 9:39am
El Vato ~ perhaps we should form some sort of support group. I too have some candy canes that are not doing well, while everything else is. Haven't lost any heads yet, but they have been closed up for about 2 weeks now. The last few nights I have noticed more and more feeder tentacles extending. The only advice I've got, from my LFS, is to try to spot feed. Got my SeaSquirt in the mail yesterday so I'm gonna give it a try. Good luck.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
aquablue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aquablue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 9:39am

is that 4.34 your dKH value for your alk? also you may want to check your bio filtration if your reading nitrite, something isn't exactly right if your reading nitrite, the conversion to non toxic nitrate isn't happening properly, how much liverock do you have in your system? maybe knock the salinity down to 1.023-1.024, 1.025 is on the high end seeing as it's not suggested to go over 1.026, I havent seen many people go over 1.024 without some coral acting funny, also the higher temperature the lower salinity should be technically, your tank running around 80 i'd definately try a little less salt concentration, I keep my tank around 1.023 to 1.024, also try to keep your alk around 8 to 12 dKH, (if the 4.34 was a dKH value) I run around 11 dKH personally, just thought i'd throw in my suggestions, if you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

-Bryce

Edited by aquablue
29G Rimless BioCube | DIY LED
12G Nano Cube | DIY LED

Member of GCFB
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic