Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Leather Splitting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leather Splitting
    Posted: April 30 2003 at 2:12pm

I have a Royal Crown/Frilly Leather Coral and it has been a great coral in my tank.  A few months ago it started to do something really odd.  It is pulling the crown apart and is forming multiple stocks - at least that is what it appears to be.  Is this normal behavior for leather corals?

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2003 at 1:18pm

That is not typical.

If the flesh where it is splitting is normal looking then congratulations! If it is not normal looking then I offer my condolences! There are some things you can do for a sick Sarcophyton.

How many stalks are there now? Of course cutting each one off would be a way to propagate, but it would be neat to see an image, if you can post or email it.

jenjardu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenjardu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2003 at 12:33pm
I picked up a leather from the last coral cutting seminar that may be doing the same.  There are no deffinately deffined stalks but when it "blooms" (not sure about correct terminology)  there are 3 noticeable segments where it folds every time.  Not sure if this helps but thought I'd let ya know.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2003 at 7:23am

Mark,

Well, I belive that the flesh where it is separating is normal looking.  Currently I have about 3 main stems on it.  Also I have about 2 or so smaller stems on it.  I just cut one of the smaller ones off as it was only being held on by a thread.  What it does in some of the locations is form a hole in the crown and then slowly separate that piece away from the main colony.  In the other locations it just slowly split the crown and stem apart.

I would love to take a picture of it, but every time I try to take pictures with my auto-focus 35m camera I waste tons of film for nothing.  I'll see if I can round up a digital camera and post the pictures.

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic