Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How much macroalgae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Shad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How much macroalgae
    Posted: April 20 2011 at 5:58pm
So my question of the week..  How much macroalgae is enough?

As you can see in the photo above, I have both caulerpa and chaetomorpha on the left side of my 10gallon nano.  They've both grown considerably since I set up the tank.  Last week, I purchased an additional powerhead to get a little more flow.  I really like most of the effect it's had.  Corals seem to be happier, no more cyano on the sand etc.  The one downside of this new powerhead is that it has pretty much taken the chaeto and beat it up.  It won't stay put, even in it's little ring I bought.  It gets blown all over creation, gets caught in the impeller, and now there's chaeto pieces all over the tank.  I'd rather just take it out at this point, let the caulerpa take over and reclaim that portion of the water column.  What say you?
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 7:07pm
with that much hassle sounds good to me. one thing you could try is putting the Chaeto in a HOB power filter that way it will stay put and you will add flow to the tank. If you go the other way and let the caulerpa take over you probably will need to cut back the chaeto not remove it all at once other wise the cyno might come back.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 8:16pm
When you're ready to cut that feather caulerpa let me know! I'd gladly take some off your hands, I could even throw in a frag.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
jaschall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaschall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2011 at 11:52pm
Capnmorgan my feather caulerpa grows like a weed I could hook you up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic