Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brass fittings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
e.fishman.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e.fishman.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brass fittings
    Posted: April 25 2009 at 3:04pm
Will brass fittings affect the chemistry of my tank?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 3:31pm
Yes, it will affect it negatively. Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc.

Mike

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 9:42pm
Brass will leach coper into your system and unless you have a fish only tank and only plan on having a fish only tank I would look for a plastic counterpart.

Check with http://www.mcmaster.com/ , they usually have a every fitting known to man.

What kind of part are you looking for?

Sculpin
chk4tix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chk4tix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 10:13pm
Brass is bad. From my personal experience, I had a float valve that was used with my auto topoff.  For the longest time I couldn't figure out why my corals never seemed to "take-off".  Then I happened upon a posting on another forum stating about the same problem I was having and they were advised to remove their brass fitting asap.   I did the same.  It was only a matter of weeks before my corals started looking great and I could tell a that there was a major improvement in my tanks health.  I only wish I would have changed that valve out sooner.
Original Crappy Reef Club Member #2

e.fishman.com View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote e.fishman.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2009 at 10:24pm
Thanks for the info guys, I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what has been going on with my tank. Then i remembered that I had used a brass barb fitting that I had planed to change when i found its plastic counterpart but forgot about it. I also used some quick set epoxy to put together my sump and I think it may be bad also.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic