Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calcium High

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calcium High
    Posted: February 29 2012 at 3:53pm
Has anyone around here delt recently with calcium being too high? I have been testing my nuvo and i'm in the 800 neighborhood on my new redsea test kit.. my alk is sitting in the low 12's and is consistent.. and my mag is around 1400.. a little high on the mag prob.. I stopped dosing calcium about 8-10 days ago.. I have a medium load of coral.. mostly lps... been doing a w/c with red sea salt every week..

thoughts? the corals look good btw..

salinity runs a little high like 1.026 - .028
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 11:09am
I had mine not quite that high, but it was reading around 600. Basically I did a water change, made sure that my ALK was within range and just waited it out for the calcium to go back to normal levels. During that time do not add any more calcium. Your mag is not that high, but usually people try to keep it a little lower. Also I would recommend getting your salinity back to a more normal range too.

With the calcium reading so high I would suggest getting the calcium and such tested by someone else. The reason it to make sure your test kit is reading correctly.

Found an article that might help. According to the article they recommend doing a water change to get it closer to normal parameters.
Chemistry And The Aquarium: Solving Calcium And Alkalinity Problems

Edited by WhiteReef - March 01 2012 at 11:15am
----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
dmanshep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmanshep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2012 at 11:42am
well i've been in the block for a while and really only dealt with this back when I was tweaking reactors on other systems (comercial) .. as for the kit I tested the water fresh mix with red sea salt and it was right on the money according to the bucket of salt.. So I trust the test kit.. good suggestion tho.. thanks for the link i'll read it over.. never hurts for a refresher..

thanks for taking the time to reply

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic