Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cal/alk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cal/alk
    Posted: November 23 2011 at 9:17pm
Just checking my interpretation of supplementing these 2 chemicals.  I was talking to another hobbyist tonight.  He is new.  He was telling me that he was instructed to dose his cal and then no more than 8-10 mins dose his alk.  I was told  that you must give plenty of time between dosing these 2 chemicals because they counter each other if dosed to close to each other.  I forget the correct term used to describe this.   My params seem to be doing fine, but he said his were also.  Can I get some confirmation on this?
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2011 at 9:20am
I've never heard one way or the other. I purchased a dosing pump that doses every three hours cal, alk and mag five minutes apart. So every three hours it will dose cal, wait 5 minutes dose alk, wait 5 minutes and dose mag. I've been doing this for about 6 months and have had no problems.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2011 at 5:42am
Dosing your calcium and alkalinity too closely together can cause the calcium to precipitate out of solution causing what looks like snow in the water column. This rarely happens if the correct amount of the supplement is used and they aren't dosed right on top of each other.

It is best to dose Alkalinity slowly to prevent a rapid change in PH. A dosing pump works well for this but others have created a drip system where the dose is slowly dripped into the tank through tubing similar to that used in an IV. Personally I just put my daily dose into the filter sock in the sump where it is then diluted by water from the overflow and further mixed in the skimmer section and eventually makes its way back to the tank.

It's not as critical to dose Calcium slowly as it doesn't have a huge affect on the PH. Use of a dosing pump for calcium is more for convenience than to prevent issues when dosing.

I believe no matter how you dose your Calcium, Alk and Mag the important thing is to keep your levels as constant as possible so that you don't have large shifts in the PH which can shock the system and irritate your livestock.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2011 at 11:00am
My 2 cents. Smile
I have found that I can slowly pour in a dose of Alk solution in a high flow spot and by the time it takes me to close that container and open the container of Ca solution, I can pour in as many cups of Ca as needed to replenish the levels. I don't wait any time at all. It's only when the undiluted solutions combine that precipitation occurs. Also, if it does accidentally happen, the precipitate is not harmful to the tank.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic