Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floaties

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Floaties
    Posted: August 01 2011 at 11:20am
My new tank's water clarity is great, but I have quite a bit of floaties in the water column. Not really worried about it, have just viewed other tanks without it. I do run a filter sock that I change out every 3 days. I have very good water movement, that may just be kicking it up. Thoughts? Thanks!
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2011 at 11:27am
I don't know what you're using for flow but if you're using power heads like I do, try making sure that one of the stronger ones pushes water directly at the overflow from across the top of the tank. This increases the amount of "floaty" that leaves the tank. Hope this helps.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2011 at 11:34am
I have a single MP40 on the back of the tank. Being the overflow is directly in the back, don't really want a powerhead in the front of the tank... I think I'm misunderstanding?
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2011 at 12:35pm
I was recently in your situation. I had 2 MP10's, one on either side of the overflow in the back center of my 50 cube. I just traded away one of my MP10's and got a Tunze 6045. I have that one back lower part of the tank, aimed up, a little forward, and towards the side of the tank. I'm getting bank shot action that is churning the surface nicely now and pushing more "floaties" towards the overflow.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2011 at 10:48am
Floaties are actually a good thing. There is a lot of food floating around in the ocean. If it's in suspension then it's not accumulating somewhere in the tank to cause problems later.
How about placing the powerheads at the bottom back corners pointing diagonally up to boil the surface water. This helps stuff on the bottom go up to the overflow and is also provides the best gas exchange for proper pH to keep everything as healthy as possible.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2011 at 11:49am
Originally posted by rfoote rfoote wrote:

My new tank's water clarity is great, but I have quite a bit of floaties in the water column. Not really worried about it, have just viewed other tanks without it. I do run a filter sock that I change out every 3 days. I have very good water movement, that may just be kicking it up. Thoughts? Thanks!

Get a small powerhead to put on the top to get a little more surface agitation. I have an MP40 too and I have a little evolution in the opposite corner that is aiming up to give some surface agitation and help push "floaters" to the overflow. I don't have it running all the time, just a couple hours here and there. I have crystal clear water and I don't even run a filter sock. Do you have a good skimmer?   
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic