Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oklahoma Rose Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oklahoma Rose Rock
    Posted: November 07 2010 at 6:53pm
My wife has a beautiful piece of Oklahoma Rose Rock and I was wondering if it would be safe to put into my tank. Here's a photo of a piece:

Here's a link to a wikipedia article that has some information about the mineral content and how it's formed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_rock It's really similar to the red stone we have in southern Utah, but was formed when an inland sea retreated.

It consists of barium sulfate (barite) and quartz sand that contains iron.

What do you all think? Could I put a small piece of this in my tank without negative effects?

Edited by smacky - November 07 2010 at 11:10pm
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 8:23pm
Barite is a sulfate which I have no idea of the effect it has in a reef. The reason that the rock is red is due to the oxidation of iron. So it's basically rust. Don't think I'd want a rusty rock in my tank, but I'm sure others will differ.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 10:24pm
It will work just fine.
It's not the same as rusted metal because the oxidized Iron is bonded within the crystal structure the same as red sandstone.
But are you sure you want a pretty crystallization like that to get all covered and discolored with algae and bacteria?
My wife and I picked up a lot of cool looking So. Utah rock. Feel free to contact me and come see if you would like to take some home.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 11:08pm
The piece has been sitting in a box for over five years and I don't think that it would fit into my wife's decorative scheme in any place but the tank. I think that I'm going to wait a bit to do it, though, until the coraline starts getting more established and it will be able to purple up a little quicker.

Speaking of which, Mark, I'm going to need to have you come over one of these days so you can take a look at the tank and help me figure out why the coraline is taking so long to grow, and so I can make you some of the chili I was telling you about at the mixer.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 8:13am
Just give a call when the Chili is ready. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic