Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amphipods?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amphipods?
    Posted: December 06 2005 at 3:39pm

I have recently been watching as little critter that crawl over the glass on my new fish only tank have mutliplied like crazy.  I can only guess they are Amphipods.  I wish I could get a good pic, but they are only about 1mm in length and even with my little loop I can't get a shot that can be seen.

Back Story for those who are interested:

A few months ago I set up a 130 gallon tank to be a fish only.  It had about 100lbs of Utah Oolitic sand and about 150 lbs of LBTR.  This was supplemented with about 25 lbs of live rock from my reef and 20 lbs of live sand from my reef refugium.

Anyway the whole thing was a bomb the first time around.  I lost all my fish and in trying to help them took out all the rock and sand so I could effectively Copper the tank.  I have now had an empty tank for about a month.  No fish, no sand, no rock

I haven't worried too much about cleaning the glass or anything else, but just recently I noticed a bunch of little critters on the glass.  Literally thousands of them mostly gathered around the spots of algae.  They have multiplied very quickly with nothing in the tank to eat them.  Under the loop they sort of look like little shrimp , but are still so tiny I can't get a really good look at them.

Are these likely amphipods or something else?

pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 3:48pm
I'm cure they're something like that.
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 4:03pm
I beleive they are copepods if they are on the glass. If their bodies are shaped like a C then they are amphipods. I have thousands of the copepods in my tank from leaving it up (although stagnant) after upgrading to a larger tank.

amphipod:

copepod:

Jeff Rasmussen

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 4:24pm
I'll bet amphopods!

You could strain them for me? I know somebody who would love them!
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 10:17pm

Originally posted by Suzy Suzy wrote:

You could strain them for me? I know somebody who would love them!

Me too.  My Mandarine Dragonette. 

Thanks for the pics Jeff.  They are copepods then.  What I can see of them under my loop is very similar to pic #2.  I just can't believe there are so many in a tank with nothing but water in it.  I've got the lights on so there is also Algae and they seem to congregate around it.  The tank looks really gross because I don't want to disturb them by cleaning the glass.

jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 10:25pm
I did the same thing. My 55g looks like crap because I don't want to kill them by cleaning the glass. I have noticed that I have a few amphipods now also after adding some macro to the tank. Let me know if you figure out a good way to get them out. I tried scraping and trying to catch them but it didn't work.
Jeff Rasmussen

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 11:07pm

With a small hose strapped to the end of a stick, siphon them out of the tank and through a coffee filter or something even more fine, then rinse the filter in the tank with the Mandarin.

If the filter paper is not fine enough simply do a water change with the copepod water. 

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2005 at 11:13pm
Good Idea! I will give it a try and let you know how it works.

Thanks Mark!
Jeff Rasmussen

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic