Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tips for healthy elegance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tips for healthy elegance
    Posted: September 05 2016 at 3:22am
Anybody have some tips to share to keep an elegance coral healthy?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 9:22am
Cool. Pics please.
My opinion is not to strip the water too clean.

It's my understanding that these animals come from the shallow flats, 5-20 feet deep, where sea grasses are found. These are areas constantly awash in detritus and flotsam with moderate water movement. 

The hobbyists I've known that had long lived Elegance were not clean freaks with manicured, over-skimmed tanks. For example, have you seen the huge old Elegance at Fish-4-U? 

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 4:16pm
thanks Mark, that's been the consensus... Anybody have any experience feeding these?
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 4:31pm
Have you seen the giant one at Aquatic Dreams? It's basketball sized and their tank is pretty clean. I have one that's doing good. I don't really do anything special for it though.
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2016 at 4:43pm
I would personally treat it like any other coral; make sure your tank levels are consistent, feed it, and keep it in medium flow and medium lighting.

Be sure to keep it on the floor of your tank, like you would a fungia.

I used to bring them in often, however, our Aussie vendor does not have any in stock at the moment. I purchased one from Indo, and it did not do well. The Aussie ones seem better and have a flat bottom (they might be cut that way or harvested, I just have not researched this further) and the Indo ones have a cone shaped bottom. I'd stay away from the cone shaped. My guess is you will find the least success with them, however, you may be the one that has a ton of success with it. 

RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2016 at 2:41am
Interesting article explaining a possible cause of the non-survival of these in tanks. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-01/eb/index.php
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2016 at 2:19am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic