Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check Out My DIY Pendant Light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check Out My DIY Pendant Light
    Posted: July 20 2016 at 12:42am
I also posted about this on my 65 Gallon Build Thread, but figured I'd display my creativity here as well

Over the past few days, I have picked up rock from several members to add to my 20g "curing" tank. I say "curing" because the rock is either cured and full of life, or pretty much dead and starting over. The purpose of this tank is to get my rock nice and full of bugs before I actually start setting up my 65 gal.

This evening, I picked up some rock from a member who's parting out and it had a few nice frags stuck to it. I was going to put it in my nano, but couldn't get it to fit. So, it was DIY time!

Here is my DIY pendant light build from scraps in the garage:

And here it is, lighting the tank in all it's glory!

It may not be pretty, but hey, if it keeps those frags alive until the real tank is ready, it has served its purpose well!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 2:55pm
Nice!! I thought about building a pendent like that but with 30-50 watt LED.
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 3:12pm
It works. Smile
Without a reflector behind that PC a lot of light is lost. I have a bunch of loose ones if you'd like one

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2016 at 4:11pm
Do you have a piece of glass on the metal halide light?
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 10:31am
Mark, I would love a reflector! I wanted to add one, I just have didn't have anything shiny in my garage. I'm actually thinking of building a "real" pendant using the MH from this one and 2 PC bulbs. I just need to go to Home Depot and pick up the wood this weekend so that I can start construction.

Arthuriv, I do have a piece of glass over the MH... I took it off to clean it which is why you don't see it in the first picture.
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2016 at 1:33pm
Cool.
I have single and double reflectors. Also may have some mirrored aluminum sheet, reflector material that I have used for a ton of custom reflectors over the years. See below.
Aloha,
Mark  Hug

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic