Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diy led refugium light

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
VdubReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diy led refugium light
    Posted: March 18 2016 at 10:25pm
Hey guys ,, I know it's been discussed but right now I'm just confused !! So I have 50 1w epistar LEDs kickin around,, and would like to wire up a refugium light with maybe 10 or 15 of those LEDs,, what driver could I use and power supply ?? Or driver with internal power supply??
1w led 15,000k
3.2 forward volts
350 mA
Pretty sure that should be sufficient information,, no I don't want to hear Crees are better all that jazz I just want to know what is a simple driver I can use ?!? Thanks fellas !!!
"He who is one with the sea"
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2016 at 11:34pm
15 1 watt leds at 3.2Vf = 48 Vf total. When choosing a driver you always need to add some extra voltage for overhead for the driver circuit, so you should judge accordingly.

3.2 Vf X 350 mA = 1.12 watts per led x 15 = 16.8 watts of power.It's good to add a 20% cushion to the watt requirement so add an additional 3.4 watts to make the driver requiring 20.2 watts total.

Given that a lot of power supplies and drivers are available at around 48 VDC, you might want to consider paring down the number to 13 leds and come in around at around 42 Vf.

Next question is are you going to dim them and, if so, how? Meanwell ELN 60-48 is a dimming driver that will produce 48 VDC and can be adjusted down from a maximum of 1300 mA to the 350 mA you need. Dimming can be controlled with a pot and a 10 volt power supply.

If you are dimming with a controller that puts out PWM signals you can go with a meanwell LDD driver of the correct amps (350 mA), or wire the leds into two series sets with a parallel input to drop the current from 700 mA to the 350 mA you need. The LDD driver requires a digital input PWM to dim correctly, something like a storm or typhon.

Does that give you the information you need?

Edited by Fatman - March 18 2016 at 11:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 8:28am
Awesome !! Thank you very much !!! I might do some dimming so I would need to buy a separate power supply,, I'll probably use that mean well eln 60-48 ,, what power supply would I need for that ?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 8:40am
The ELN is a great choice. Limit it to 13 LEDs and it will work great. It is a self contained power supply/driver. You will need a 10v 500mA wall wart type power supply to turn it on as well as to use with a 10k ohm pot to dim the driver. Should be a ton of light for a sump light.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 8:53am
The LDD driver requires a separate power supply of the correct voltage to power the LED. The ELN has the power supply inside the driver. Krazie recommends a 10 volt wall wart, but they are hard to find. I've used 9 volt wall warts connected to a 10k ohm pot without any problem.

Fat
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 9:34am
9 volt will work you just can't ever get a true 100% on using 9v. You get 10%-90% which is more than good enough for a sump light.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 10:44am
What Krazie said! And I'd spend the extra two dollars and get a switching wall wart. Keeps the controlling input voltage stable.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2016 at 11:54am
What fatman said but it's getting really hard to find non switching ones anymore. I don't think it's even $2 more for switching. More like .50
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 9:10pm
Thanks you guys so much !! Maybe I'll round up my supplies and kinda do a build thread maybe ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2016 at 9:26pm
Wait another question guys ! So the forward voltage of these LEDs are 350mA,, so in order to use a HDD driver of 700mA I would need to do two strings of LEDs so one of six and one of 7 ,, on that same driver ?? Or am I missing some thing ?
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 12:30am
Run 6 in series on one string and 7 in series on another. Connect the two sting in parallel. That divides the current (amps) (I) in 2. I'd put a standard (not slow blow) fuse in the circuit in case one string goes out, that way it won't fry all of them.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 8:44am
Looks like a fun project. If I had that stuff laying around I too would choose it over the economical "Home Depot Special" I usually use for the Refugium light.

Have fun and Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 3:42pm
Ok thanks guys !! I'm also thinkin of another project,, it would be more for shimmer,, I getting upset my led fixtures doesn't shimmer like the radions (cuz they aren't radions I know I know) however I'm wondering if I layout my LEDs like the radion pucks are laid out maybe I'll get more shimmer ,, instead of being in straight lines 11 across by 5 tall,, ya no ?? Anyone have any knowledge of this ?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 4:10pm
Yes, keeping them closer together will produce more shimmer than if they are spread out then each one produces a different shadow. Those shadows cast in a different locations and cause a larger shadow area which cancels out the skimmer. Single source light (I.E. hallides) produce the most shimmer as every ripple on the water surface produces a matching shadow that moves on the sand without any other shadow interfering with it.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 8:21pm

The Hamilton fixture over this tank, a straight line of 3W LED's, each about 1" apart, produces this shimmer. http://www.hamiltontechnology.com/item/3-Watt-Kona-Sun-Extreme-Bright-LED-Lights-2239

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VdubReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 8:32pm
Yeah that's one row of LEDs !! Mine is 5 rows of 22 LEDs !!! Lol disco Bally not so nice shimmer
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2016 at 8:47pm

Hmmm, that is probably why Kessil, AI, Radion and others have bunched 3W LED's together in Pucks.

Aloha,

Mark  Hug

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic