Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what to feed clownfish fry

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what to feed clownfish fry
    Posted: February 18 2014 at 11:34am
I have 2 day old black ice clownfish fry and am feeding them rotifers right now. I am wondering how long you feed rotifers? What do you feed them after rotifers and at what age?

Edited by Snowwhire - February 18 2014 at 1:18pm
Marie
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 9:39am
There is tons of info on the www today.
Not so when I raised my first clownfish in 1999.  All I knew then was that they ate Rotifers and to grow rotifers I had to grow phtoplankton(which is a PITA).
One very helpful book is the one by Joyce Wilkerson. Clownfishes: A Guide to....
They will eat rotifers for 6 months or more, but after they Metamorphose at around 7-14 days they increase in size so they can also eat larger food like pulverized frozen meaty foods and Brine Shrimp Nauplii. This helps because as they grow, Rotifers will not be enough, or in other words, it becomes hard to grow enough Rotifers. Wink

BTW, at this stage prior to metamorphosis, they are called Larvae.

Here are two threads about other locals raising clownfish. You may find the details here quite interesting and helpful.
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=48272
http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=51285
I assume you have spoken to Shawn at A Reef Oasis about his success in raising clownfish, right?

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Pics of one of my first surviving Clownfish, it's dad and the tank it came from:

The parents were also raised locally at Bonneville SeaBase out west of Grantsville, UT

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 3:46pm

Edited by wickedsnowman - February 19 2014 at 3:47pm
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 9:49pm
Rotifers day 1 to day 14-24
NHBB day 10-12 to day 30++
Day 14-16 dry and frozen
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 10:18am
Love those yummy NHBB's.
I just acquired about 4 lbs of BSE's in sealed cans that I can't use. Anyone?

Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 11:54am
What is NHBB's? Sorry for my ignorance :)

Thanks for the response Sabeypet and Mark. I actually picked up some premium brine shrimp cysts last night and started a hatchery. I was planning on adding the brine shrimp along with rotifers starting tomorrow day 5.
Marie
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 6:53pm
NHBB = Newly Hatched Baby Brine, also known as Brine Shrimp Nauplii.

Image below courtesy of BSD(Brine Shrimp Direct) in Ogden. BSD is awesome for Tahitian Blend Algae Paste for feeding Rotifers. They also have the best fish foods, like Golden Pearls, Cyclops, frozen Cyclops and awesome frozen Spirulina enriched BS.

These are native GSL BS, the kind we collect and freeze for our fish from May to October.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Snowwhire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowwhire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 7:23pm
Those are cool pics. I have actually been using BSD's algae paste. Works great for me so far.
Marie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic