Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Marine Biologists on here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Marine Biologists on here?
    Posted: August 22 2013 at 7:08pm
Im wanting to use my GI Bill to go back to school and i am seriously considering going for Marine Biology. Looking around on "the internets" kind of gave me lots of conflicting information. Several sources have made it sound like you either will not get a job or will not be taken seriously with just the BS level degree? Im also reading that the career field is very competitive and even with a MS degree the jobs are few. I have seen some schools offering a BS in marine biology (or a biology degree with an emphasis in marine biology) but i hear that most people will get a basic biology or oceanography BS and then go for marine bio at the MS level. Im not overly concerned with the salary so thats not a huge factor.

If anyone has any experience in the field or can help me get in contact with someone that would be great. Im just sort of looking at what options i have and what is the general recommendation for education level, what the job opportunities actually look like, etc...

Thanks in advance,
Geoff
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 8:14pm
Happy to help, call me 801.809.2326
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
djknauss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djknauss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 9:21pm
There is one professor at the U that was trying to start a marine biology class (can't remember his name sry) I'm sure a quick email to the department would get you on the right track. He might be involved w/ evolutionary biology...idk

If you plan on going past a BSc, doing a general BSc degree and then getting more specific afterwards (masters or PhD) is typical of any science related career path. You can even jump around after you complete your bachelor's if you decide to change your mind - its still very broad at that point...if its hard to get a job w/ a bachelor's degree in the field, its probably harder to get a job w/ a masters or PhD, as you then demand a higher paycheck (somewhat) and more importantly you have specialized into a niche in the career field - less options.

As far as being taken seriously w/ a BSc - you probably wont be in charge of much and won't publish your own papers and receive all the glory, but rather, will assist someone w/ a PhD to do so...so i wouldn't worry too much about that if that's not a big concern of yours.

Also, just to be long winded here, ppl who graduate w/ a BSc of any of the general core sciences (biology, chemistry, etc.) will have a hard time finding a job just due to the high numbers of similar ppl applying, but most of the ppl i know do eventually find jobs, it just takes effort.

- btw I have 1 year left to complete my BSc in biomedical engineering - then med school? anyways im just relating what i've seen.

Edited by djknauss - August 22 2013 at 9:26pm
55 gallons of impulsive additions and subtractions.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by djknauss djknauss wrote:

There is one professor at the U that was trying to start a marine biology class (can't remember his name sry) I'm sure a quick email to the department would get you on the right track.
Unless I'm mistaken, Adam teaches marine biology, among other things, at the U. He is a great resource. I would call Adam right away.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 9:51pm
It is somewhat of a crap shoot when just starting a career path that requires many years of education -- because the employment field as it looks now may be very different several years from now. I always suggest a career path that can also lead to a fallback position, just in case. I know nothing about marine biology but familiar with people relying on current data re a career path that may take years to achieve and not properly preparing themselves for a fallback career.
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2013 at 9:50am
I've got 10 years experience of aircraft heavy maintenance and overhaul to fall back on in the event that my future plans dont work out. As with almost anything else in life i dont expect it to be handed to me and i will work hard to find what roads will meet my path.

A quick glance the UofU website looks like they currently only offer....
 - Biochemistry (BS)
 - Cell and Molecular Biology (BS)
 - Environmental and Organismal Biology (BS)
I will call adam tonight when i get home from work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic