Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

candy cane coral

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: candy cane coral
    Posted: August 22 2013 at 11:00am
So my candies are constantly out feeding day and night. I feed them oyster feast every other day. Is this normal? Are they just opportunistic?
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 1:35pm
I have soem that do that (the feeding thing) all the time and some that hardly ever do it.

I would say it is normal.
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 1:42pm
It's the best!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2013 at 3:13pm
alright then, normal it is!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 5:01pm
I have a question on candy cane corals i have one doing awsome the other one is 3-4 inches away from it and not looking so good any ideas.

Edited by shipdawg - April 01 2014 at 5:04pm
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 9:02pm
Is there possibly a stream of territorial chemicals from another coral flowing toward the distressed Candy Cane but is missing the happy one?
OR
Were they from different colonies? If so, that is an example just how different each individual is within a single species.
OR
Was the stressed coral from another tank with slightly different parameters/conditions or where it may have been hit with territorial(allelopathic) chemicals?

Aloha,
Mark Hug
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 10:23pm
The stressed collony is diffrent and from a diffrent tank it was doing awsome for a couple of weeks it was full and feeding during the day. Then it stopped and did not inflating and has stated not looking good at all.

Edited by shipdawg - April 02 2014 at 4:51am
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 9:46am
The first thought that comes to mind is that a fish has been nipping at it, though a stream of allelopathic chemicals could have had a cumulative effect that the coral has finally given in to. You didn't say whether it is directly downstream from another coral, perhaps even the other Caulestrea? Have you moved it since the trouble began?

What fish are in this tank, may we see a pic of the tank and maybe a close-up of the two Candy Canes?
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 4:43pm
I tried to upload pictures but it said i allready did. I did do a 40 percent water change last night and it looks a lot better today.
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 2:58pm
The system cannot accept a pic that has the same file name as one already uploaded. Change the file name by just one character and it will probably work.

Again I ask, Is it directly downstream from another coral, perhaps even the other Caulestrea? Have you moved it since the trouble began? What fish are in this tank?

Shocked Why a 40% water change? That's pretty drastic. What is your usual water change amount and schedule? Seems like a lot of effort to do water changes like that, just to keep one coral looking better.

You probably notice that I take the resolving of problems for reef hobbyists pretty seriously. I don't just make a few comments and walk away to let you fend for yourself. Embarrassed

Mark Hug
shipdawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shipdawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 5:38am
Thanks Mark the fish i have are a blue hippo tang, yellow eyed tang, maroon clown, lawn mower blenny, yellow wrasp, chromis. I have not moved it yet but will try a new location it has been looking better. I have been doing a 10-15 persent water change every other week.

Edited by shipdawg - April 09 2014 at 5:41am
Eagle Mountain

120 reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2014 at 10:40am
Most likely it is being nipped at by one or more of the fish. Several reasons for this:
- tasty slime coating, different than coral already in the tank
- algae or other tasty growth on the skeleton, the tank has almost no grazing algae for the 2 & 1/2 major grazers
- a fish(maroon clown) does not like it's placement and wants it moved, fish know that coral can be moved, they see it done Smile

Come by and get some edible Macroalgae from me.

Aloha Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic