Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best water chemistry?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best water chemistry?
    Posted: October 11 2011 at 3:02pm
What should the "perfect" water chemistry be at to maintain a mixed reef with mainly SPS?
Alk:
Calcium:
Ph:
Magnesium:

Edited by Trevor40 - October 11 2011 at 3:03pm
Call or Text (801)834-3119
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 9:10pm
Alk- 8-10 dkh
Cal- 400-450
ph- 8.0-8.3 not really too important
mag- 1250 +
Sps like really clean water and good params so IMO a good skimmer is the only way. Lps and softies tend to like the water a little "dirty". I love sps and I love zoas and palys and those three things usually, for me anyways, are hard to keep together in one tank.
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 9:21pm
I keep a very mixed reef and I run things the same as laynframe said expect my mag is higher than that.
I found that its most important to make the sps happy, and everything else will adapt to whatever makes the sps happy as long as you keep it constant.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 9:51pm
Thats some good info. I agree that Mag needs to be over 1300 from what I've heard. My sps seem to color up more when I add Ions (magnesium supplement) to my tank. 
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2011 at 10:01pm
I agree with Tony, and Laird.

Chalices tend to like higher mag levels so, I shoot for around 1500 in my tank, and have noticed better color and growth in the last few weeks.

The key to ph and alk are not so much about the numbers, although you want to stay in the ranges Tony posted, it's all about stability. That's why I'm glad I went with a Ca reactor on this tank, cuz once it's dialed in they stay very stable and I get to enjoy happy corals.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic