Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hermit Crabs???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jeffstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hermit Crabs???
    Posted: March 21 2003 at 8:50am

Hi all:

Researching hermit crabs.....Scarlet or Blue Leg...Which is best for reef tank?

Thanks,

Jeff

John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 10:22am

IMO, Blue legs are ok, but I have read that it might be better not to have them in a reef tank.  I personally have them in my tank.

John Fletcher "ReefAquarist" 

WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 11:46am

I had a bunch in my 75 gallon tank at one time.  Probably over 50.  Now that is somewhere around 12 or so.  The density that is usually recommend is due to excess algae growth in a tank and they are used as a controlling mechanism.  IMO if you don't have a lot of algae growth (green hair algae) then it does not make sense to have them in your tank.  Also if you have tangs and other herbivours in your tank then it also does not make sense to have them in the tank, unless you like them...then go for it.  The only thing to watch out for is your snails as they will attack and kill them as they look for a new home.

I have found that they are something that people like to watch in tanks as they appear as walking rocks.

----------------

Richard

Former 47G Column Reef, Magna
20" x 18" x 31"H
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 12:54pm
I have both blue and scarlet (many more blue then red).  I don't know if it really matters or not, a crab is a crab... I've lost a handful of snail to hermits.  It's hard to point the finger at which one did it if you don't see it happening.  I wouldn't think of not having a tank without some type of hermit.  They're fun to watch in the least.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 1:08pm
I kind of figure a lost snail here or there is part of the deal in a reef tank.  They are great scavengers in my tank and keep algae in control.   I will Occasionally throw in spare shells for the hermits to move aroud from there present shell. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2003 at 9:10pm

One must understand that most of the time when any kind of hermit crabs start going after snails it's because they are hungry. The same thing with coralline algae. Hermit crabs will eat it if softer, tastier algae is not available. if your tank is new and doesn't have an algae problem, don't get so many (or give them some algae pellets.)

rfoote has a good point. Many times hermit crabs placed in a new home, immediately look for a new "home". Ask the LFS for some empty shells when buying hermit crabs for a new tank.

jeffstone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffstone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2003 at 7:25am

So then…out of 100 possible points…..Scarlets score 51 and Blue Legs score 49. My rocks are being smothered by algae…about 5 different types of calurpa and I think crabs are my next answer. I will be sure to get extra shells.

Thanks,

Jeff

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2003 at 8:13pm
Which is better you ask?  Simply answered.......which ever looks most pleasing to you.  Throw in a few different ones.
Danny Lueck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Lueck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2003 at 10:13pm

Extra Shells .......ALL A DOLLAR

I bought about 15 perfect sized shells for my hermits

boiled them in hot water

all for 1$

At all a dollar they have them in little pre-made baskets for your bathroom decoration.

"Ask not what your REEF TANK can do for you!!"

[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic