Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glass Hole Saw

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
amorgenegg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgenegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glass Hole Saw
    Posted: March 14 2006 at 10:39pm
After reading of other deals people have found on diamond bits and hole saws I decided to look for one today on ebay.  Well I found a 45 mm (just a tiny bit bigger than 1 3/4") diamond coated hole saw for drilling glass. It was $5.50 + $4 shipping, so $9.50 total.  I haven't gotten it yet, but if it works well this is quite a deal.  If anyone is interested I will post again once I have received it and tried it out.  The link is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=82663 30188&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

If it works well and anyone is interested I would probably be willing to rent it out for like a buck to drill a hole.
Andrew Morgenegg
bstanley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstanley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 1:06am
Yeah I would like to know how that type turns out. I have run across some diamond bits and they haven't worked for me at all. I'm not sure of the brand names I used but if this one works out, like you said, just let us know.
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 6:02am
at that price I might give it a try

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgenegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 8:31am
I'll definitely let people know.  As soon as I get them I will be drilling (at least attempting) two holes, one in 1/8" and one in 1/4" glass.  I'm hoping it will work great because it is super cheap.
Andrew Morgenegg
Kyle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 4:29pm
i`ve had customers use these before and seem to work very well if you
only cutting a few holes.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgenegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 9:00pm
Cool.  I need to cut two holes, so if it works for that it is a good deal.  I like the idea of being able to do another thing by myself.  DIY is so fun, the satisfaction of doing it is worth it to me, even if noone else cares if I did it.
Andrew Morgenegg
kruzr69 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kruzr69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 9:36pm
I will be interested to see how this turns out. Are these the same bits people on reef central are using? I have only read good things about them if they are. I used the dremel bits i got off ebay and it worked awesome. I am sure it took a little more time than a hole saw but I am not limited to what size holes I can cut now.
Tony
Tony Canto
Spanish Fork
In-wall 75 Gallon mega-flow, 50 Gallon sump/refugium. 2X400w MH, Mag 9.5 return, mag 9.5 closed loop with 2 sqwd's & 4 returns. Euro-Reef skimmer.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2006 at 11:43pm
That looks just like my hole saw and mine has worked just fine for me.  Just remember to keep the bit wet at all times.  Awesome price too!
Redrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 10:48pm

Andrew, This thread started a little over a month ago and I am curious if anyone has bought and used one of these glass drill bits yet.

And I totally agree with you that the DIY part is such a huge amount of fun that it is the main reason I am in this hobby today.

Keep us posted on the glass drilling please.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgenegg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 7:37am
I drilled two holes with the hole saw about 1 month ago.  It was pretty easy, and I had no problems.  It was fun to be able to drill my own holes.
Andrew Morgenegg
Redrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2006 at 10:37am
Thanks for the info, I appreciate the reply and I am sure others will find this helpful as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic