Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Foxface Disappeared

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foxface Disappeared
    Posted: January 11 2011 at 10:48pm
My foxface that I got around a month disappeared today.  He looked great and was a big eater.  What could've caused this?  He's the biggest fish in my tank so I don't think another fish did it.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 10:43am
Have you checked your overflow box? A foxface is a big fish to disappear. I've had several fish disappear and were likely consumed by the CUC before I ever saw the remains but unless the Foxface is very small I doubt it would completely disappear in one day. I read a post recently about a blue tang that had been in the overflow for several months before he was found and survived.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 11:21am
have you looked on the rocks? overflow is a possibility. Have you check around your tank? 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 11:38am
They hide really well and have good camouflage. If it's not on the floor or in the overflow and it doesn't turn up in a few days, it probably died Unhappy and got eaten overnight by the cleanup crew of Crabs and Bristleworms. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 12:16pm
If you start poking around the rocks and such looking for the Foxface, remember to do so carefully so you don't get poked (by the venemous spines, that is)! Ouch
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

They hide really well and have good camouflage. If it's not on the floor or in the overflow and it doesn't turn up in a few days, it probably died Unhappy and got eaten overnight by the cleanup crew of Crabs and Bristleworms. Smile

They do have good camouflage. When mine gets scared it turn from bright yellow to a mottled gray color and is nearly impossible to spot back in the rock-work.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 1:01pm
yea I would check around your tank too...do you have a top on your tank? They aren't usually jumpers, but who knows. And if they do jump out, they can certainly flop a few feet away.

poor guy.
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
kethomps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kethomps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 1:15pm
I had the same thing happen to my helfrichi goby.  Swimming, eating, fat, gone.  So, frustrating.
210g sw fish
West Jordan
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 1:19pm
how long does it take for the fish to fully decompose withing an aquarium? 
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 1:29pm
I had a yellow tang disappear one day after seeing him in the morning. That evening I pulled out some rocks to find him and he was gone and covered in hermits. I pulled out his body and he was literally just scales and bones at that point. Barely recognizable as a fish let alone a tang. It was probably about 8 hours to reach that point.

Guess it depends on the CUC as well. I have a much more diverse/larger cuc nowadays, so don't expect to find bodies at all now.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Fish Mama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fish Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2011 at 6:53pm
I had a very large anenome eat a tang, foxface, and diamond goby, No more LTAs foe me.
jw3571 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jw3571 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 1:28pm
Found him today, dead, sucked up on a powerhead.  He must've been dying behind the rocks.
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 6:25pm
sorry dude, those are pretty fish.
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 6:30pm
bummer Cry
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

kethomps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kethomps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2011 at 10:01pm
Sorry to hear.   At least you know now.
210g sw fish
West Jordan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic