Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Macros and Star Polyps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Macros and Star Polyps
    Posted: July 20 2003 at 10:15am
I've got a rock covered in Bali Green Star Polyps.  It was very thickly covered a month ago.  At that time I placed a piece of "brown grape calerpa" (what it actually is, I don't know... it's brownish/yellow but looks like grape calerpa)  near the rock.  The macro tripled in size seriously encroaching on the star polyp rock.  I removed the macro from that area a couple days ago after noticing a decline in the star polyp "fullness".  Now the rock looks like it's in serious need of "Rogaine for star polyps"... it's very thin between polyps.  I'm sure it will recover ok, but just wondering if thats happened to anyone else and whether it was due to reduced lighting from all the macro overgrowth or an interaction between the macro and coral?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 11:52am

Plants give off their own chemicals to secure their territory. My guess is that the reduction of light was the minor contributing factor.

That algae may be new to me, unless it is the brown sargassum that has some "grapes", but mostly leaves.

Can you post a pic?

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 12:08pm

I have some brown sea mat that has been slow to open lately.  I wonder if the change in temperature has affected anything.  My tank has risen a couple degrees warmer in the last couple weeks.

I also have taken out, then added again different macros in my refugia.  Maybe that was affecting them.  I didn't worry about it too much.  I just figured that was part of nature.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 12:15pm

I'm sure I got the algae from you (mark) and after looking around on the interent it probably is sargassum.  This particular piece produced lots of "grapes".

I'll post a pic later...

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2003 at 4:31pm

My tank is running hotter then normal too, but I don't think that's it.  I've got two patches of this and the other is fine.  Here's pics.

This is the piece that was overcome by the macro algae (it's looked like this for about 3 days):

Here's another patch of the same stuff on the other side of the tank:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic