Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sick toadstool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sick toadstool
    Posted: May 26 2003 at 4:27pm
 I have a toadstool coral that I have had for about 5 months. It has done well under the wimpy 18w pc I have had it under until a couple days ago. It looks like the base of the coral is rotting and the feelers or whatever you call them are not extending. I have kept up with water changes and had no sudden changes in the tank. Any ideas. Maybe the light but it was doing fine for quit a while.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2003 at 10:26pm

I'm not sure about the rotting part.   But the feeler extension part I can tell you that it is typical that the feelers may not extend for up to several days.  My leathers have done this but have always extended back out.

Going back to the rotting part.  The bases of the my leathers are a different color than the rest of the themselves and have a different look about them on the part where they are attached to the rock and or glass of the tank including the upper side that is not touching the rock or glass.  It could be that they are not really rotting. 

On the light part of it.  The 18 watts certainly isn't very much light but I have a leather or three in a tank that has about the same lighting.  They are doing well and have pretty good feeler extension.  They don't grow very fast but look healthy.  You could place the leather higher in the tank if you are concerned.   I hope this helps.

Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 9:36am

If the leather coral is rotting away then I would recommend cutting the rotting section away, or your coral will most likely rot until it is gone.  Many people take this opportunity to cut the entire coral into cuttings instead of watching their coral waste away.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Nigel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 2:30pm
I agree with Jake. When I got my first toadstool, after a couple of days the base started to rot away, first I though something was eating it, but then my dealer told me that I had to turn it around for the first little while ( why I'm not sure) Anyways I had to cut off the rotting areas, and I cut about 4 pieces. Although 2 died the other 2 grew really nice. You could also try giving them a dip in a coral medication.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 7:16pm
 The coral looks a little better today but still weak. If it keeps improving I dont think I want to frag it. However if it gets worse what is the best way to cut it? ie cut the head off  cut it in half . I have never fraged one of these before.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2003 at 10:16pm

Cut from the perimeter of the head of the leather coral. 

If you think your leather is not gonna live.   I would just cut around the entire head of the coral.  This will get you the most amount of cuttings from it. 

If you think your leather is not going to die.  Then cut a chunk off, then you will have the cutting and mabey still have the original also.

You can cut your cuttings into more pieces if you want to.   Place each cutting over a crevice on a rock "feeler side away from the crevice" and attach it with a rubberband or by stitching or whatever your preference of attaching corals is.   I like to stitch leathers.  Each cutting will then grow a new stock and become a mini version of the coral that it was cut from. 

If the leather is large it is recommended to do the cuttings  outside of the tank because of summm thiinnggg that they can release.    I have cut from my small pancake size leathers inside of my 72 gal. tank without any problems.

Steve
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2003 at 9:16am
When I get Sarcophytons that are not looking good I will cut the entire head off and cut it into 10-20 pizza shaped slices.  I then mount the cuttings to rock using bridal veil netting.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2003 at 9:48pm
I remember Jake demonstrating this techinque at a meeting.  He secures the cutting to the rock by twisting the bridal veil so as not to cover the whole cutting.  Then secures the bridal veil with a rubberband on the under side.

Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2003 at 6:16pm
 Ok so I took a chance and put the toadstool in my new 125 with much better lighting and 1 day into it the coral has improved! It is back to extending its feelers and everthing. I am wondering if it got sick of the light situation.

bullitt4932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt4932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 1:21pm
Leathers or sarcofyton(sp) corals Shed. when the grow they sluff off there outer layer- that may be why only the base/stalk looked like it was rotting. If it has a real glossy look to it then it was just shedding.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2003 at 6:33pm
The coral is much better now. It looks heathly. I think it was a lack of light and possibly it was shedding.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic