Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anemones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anemones
    Posted: July 13 2004 at 12:19pm
I didn't think I would ever want another anemone but I'm thinking of trying one again so I can learn a little about them first hand.  Is there an anemone that will do really well under 4-65w PC in a 55g??
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 12:44pm

Possibly something in the BTA family?

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 12:47pm

Aptasia

I agree with Carl, I think the BTAs are nice looking and might do well in that tank.  Is there someplace up high where he can sit and not sting others?  The problem with a LTA is they like the sand and would be that much farther from the light.

[edit:  4 65w PC... in that case I think an LTA would probably do ok too]

Edited by jfinch
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 1:00pm
I had a tube in similar lighting and he did great.  He is neon orange white a neon yellow center. I would highly recommend one... That is if you dont plan on having your clowns hosting.. He does not play well with others...
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 1:13pm

If you dont care about any clowns hosting, try a Condylactis - IME they have been darn near bullet-proof.

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 2:11pm

Carl, I like the RBTA... I seen one on another board that created this interest.

Jon, no thanks on the aptasia .  The spot I have picked out would be at the bottom of the rocks on the sand bed...  providing it likes that spot as much as I do.

Connie, tubes seem to be very aggressive from what I read.  Have you ever had any problems??

Shane, the Condylactis seems like a good choice other than they can get 6"-12" ...

I do have a clown but he is already hosting a torch coral so hosting isn't on issue.  Thanks for the replies everyone...  I new this wasn't going to be easy.

Edited by Travis
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 2:22pm

The spot I have picked out would be at the bottom of the rocks on the sand bed... 

Then I would pick out a nice looking LTA.  I have one that is vibrant green.  Beautiful.  There's a thread somewhere here about him.  I put him up in the top part of the tank originally.  He stayed for about a month then moved down into the sand.

Also, have you read this article about tube anemones?:  http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/invert.htm  Toonen is of the opinion that they are not nearly as bad as everyone says and he has references and arguments to back it up.

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 2:47pm
Connies tube anemone has some crazy colors in it. If I wasnt already anemoned-out that would be the next kind I'd get.
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 2:50pm

Thanks for the article Jon...  it did bring up some other issues.  My sand bed is only about 1"-2" thick so a artificial home would need to be provided and it seems they are nocturnal... which is ok but not what I'm looking for.

I have seen some nice LTA...  do they need a DSB?

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 2:53pm
Shane, I haven't seen Connie's but looking around on the web... there are some nice looking ones out there!!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 2:56pm
I've seen Connie's and it is stunning and it was open when I saw it (during the day).  Connie, does it close up much?
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 3:09pm

Here's a pic of my RBTA which has done very well in my 55G with only 3-65W PC

He's as happy as can be.  However the will pick their own spot and it won't be where you want it to. 

He liked my cleaner shrimp a little to much.

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 3:09pm
Also Connie, how and what do you feed yours??  I'm guessing if it was out during the day it could catch food when feeding the fish??
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 3:11pm
Nice jglover, how long have you had him??
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 4:14pm
Mine is out all the time... He gets much larger at night but I have only seen him eat a crab and I think he might have gotten two purple fire fish that swam a little to close... I have had mine for over 3 years. He eats when the fish eat and then I also hand feed him small amounts of meat maybe two times a week.. He has never stung me.....You are more then welcome to come by & take a look at him. I also have two rock and unfortunately several manjo..... The manjo are free to a good home by the way. I do have a great pic of my guy I will try to get it on tonight... Thanks for the article. I have always thought they were getting a bad rap... 

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 4:25pm

Three years is quite impressive...  thanks for the info and I would love to see a picture!!

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 4:40pm
You have no idea..... He was one of the first animals I ever bought... He has made it when around 500.00 of others did not... The learning curve was not a pretty thing at my house... Keep looking for a pic. I promise it will come and be worth the wait.... 

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 5:32pm
The learning curve has been bad for ritteri anemones at our house.  Our clownfish are currently making themselves happy in a big fuzzy mushroom.  Not sure if the mushroom minds, but it seems like we should get the clowns a better home.
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 6:15pm
Calling all computer geeks...... I need someone to save me from myself... I have the digital. I have the lap top & desk top but how in the sam &(*& do I get the picture out of my computer and on the board??? I tried the little camera ???

Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2004 at 6:33pm

geek yes,,,, computer geek NONONONO.. Lets try this

http://www.msnusers.com/MyWebDocuments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic