Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DT Phytoplankton question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DT Phytoplankton question
    Posted: August 23 2003 at 1:50pm

How much do you feed?  The bottle states 1 oz per 100gal. every other day.  Do you all follow that guideline?

TIA

Bill Talbot

utahtaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote utahtaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2003 at 5:35pm
I only dose once a week.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2003 at 6:03pm
Thanks...I've been doing that too as per someone's advice, but wondered if it was not enough.
scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2003 at 7:51pm
I probably dose depending on what it is every 2 days I use dts - magnisium - turbo calcium - strontium and molybdenum and Iodine.
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2003 at 8:17pm
Thanks, Ryan!  I just started using Seachem's Reef Complete, Reef Calcium & Reef Plus to see how that works per Sally Jo's (garf) recipe.  It seems like it may get pretty expensive though.
scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2003 at 1:27am
you know me I will take care of you
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2003 at 9:14am

You da man, Ryan!

Thanks!

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 9:37am
The amount of any food or supplement is best dosed per the need of the organisms in the tank. A young clam will eat an entire bottle of greenwater in a day.
Try looking at the use of additives and food from the standpoint of how much the organisms need and can eat, rather than an arbitrary figure supplied by the manufacturer to cover the "average" tank!

To follow utahtapers one-liner, for myself, I feed 2 cups of phytoplankton per day and I add the additional information that this is for a 10 gallon tank. You may want to ask, what organisms and how many, am I feeding!
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 9:56am
I dose about 2 cups of green water per day in my 20 gallon tank. It takes about 15-20 minutes to clear. Mark, do you think that's typical (the 20 minutes) or do you think I'm underfeeding? My very small clam seems to like 2 cups per day better then one and I'm wondering if he might like three more then two .
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2003 at 10:48am
I don't know how much is too much!
Your water is clearing pretty fast. It takes(took) mine a couple hours to clear but I have discovered that my clam was sick when I bought it (See the Knopp clam book, the large opening was gaping open) and it died a month ago so when my culture crashed, I stopped feeding. Here is a pic of it in full sunlight!

Is there significant feeding by more than the clam?
If you can grow enough phyto, why not try it
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sjlopez39 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjlopez39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2003 at 9:53am
I've been feeding about a quart and a half or so every other day in my 72 gallon with lot's of animals. Also another consideration may be how dense the algae is that is being fed to the tank.
Keep your hands and arms inside the tank and enjoy the ride!

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic