Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lairds 180 gallon upgrade

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
fdc_guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fdc_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 9:59am
That is amazing! One day....My wife will hate me for a week but one day I hope to get to this point in the hobby.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2012 at 11:29am
Looking good bro. Can't wait to stop by sometime soon.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2012 at 12:25am
WOW! is all I can say . Looks amazing so far what a great build with tons of pre planning . Would love to see this monster in person .
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 5:55pm
Making progress.

Shelves in

I'll have my Apex outlets for most but for the few things that don't fit I bought this power strip that lets you turn off each outlet individual. I also mounted it right by the door so turning things on and off will be easy. The apex components will mount to that black baron the side of the stand.   

And another one high and in the middle. When you are looking under the stand it strip is almost invisible.

Edited by Laird - September 09 2012 at 5:57pm
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 6:02pm
Getting exciting since its almost done.

Got that monster UV installed. Found some cool plastic mounts to set that UV on and then hard plumbed it in off my manifold. Unions on both ends, as well as a gate valve so I can fine tune how much water I want going through the UV. The drain is the hard plumbed into the sump. I put a hammer in the photo to show how huge the UV is.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
1973Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1973Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 6:54pm
Where did you get that power strip from? Looking really good.
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2012 at 7:33pm
Are you bringing your returns over the top of your tank?
AquaMedic 250 Watt XM 20k
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 12:10am
Josh, I got them off amazon.

dionysus, Yes i'm brining my returns up over the back. That way I can use all for holes from drains so I can bring a lot more flow into the tank. I also like the idea of the of the return lines pushing water toward the overflows instead of away.

The white PVC on the top going into the tank will be SCH 80 in the end to look better. I just put the white in to show what it will kind of look like.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 10:42am
Pushing water at the overflows? So your going to run the returns to the front of the tank? And push water to the back wall?
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 10:52am
Originally posted by dionysus dionysus wrote:

Pushing water at the overflows? So your going to run the returns to the front of the tank? And push water to the back wall?

No, still the back. There will be 4 points where water is returning to the tank. Two will be on the back on the surface pointed toward each overflow, one point almost straight down, and 1 more pusing into the middle of the tank.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Dionysus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dionysus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2012 at 5:28pm
Alright it makes sense =) In a couple of pictures it looks like the tank isn't in its final spot, how do you plan on moving everything? Or is there just that much space behind it?
2 420s Vhos
29 DT SPS Dominant
20 G Long Frag

My Tank Progress =)
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 3:05pm
Nope, Bill and I just pushed it back into place. Wasnt too hard.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 3:08pm
So have my live sand, and new rock in there cycling. I put in my new custom rock. Not put together like the final product will be but just to give an idea of the overall feel that its going to be I just tossed it all in there. I'm actually going to be taking a piece or two out because I don't like how crowded it already is. Plus I'm going to be bringing a few big pieces over from my current tank.   

I'm going to rearrange things a bit, and not make the tall spots so tall. I also have a big tonga branch coming from my current tank that will feel in the gap on the right side a bit. As you can see its going to leave lots of swim space for my fish while still giving me a lot of nice spots to put my SPS colonies.

Top Down

Then like I said i'm bringing a few big pieces from my 90 gallon over.
This big branch thats right in the front.

This branching piece. Its in the shape of hand with 5 fingers.

Then this shelf piece that the majority of those colonies are grown on.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 3:11pm
You were right the rest of the rock looks really good.  I am really excited to see your tank all set up.  Have you picked the lights that you will be using yet? 
P.S.
Everything that we got the other night is doing great.  Thanks again.
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 3:18pm
Thanks man, I'm really excited about this rock, haha.

I'm going to build 3 new DIY fixtures.   

I'm glad everything is doing great, you pick up some awesome pieces that I think your really going to enjoy. It was fun meeting you dad, its cool to see people getting excited about coral.

50 Gallon rimless cube.
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 3:21pm
yeah he has been so excited about the corals.  He reminds me of a kid in a candy store.  I loves everything.  lol
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2012 at 4:23pm
wow this is looking really good. When I get my own house I plan on doing a similar build. Looks great
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 10:02am
Looking awesome! I've never seen a large reef tank with that rock. It will be awesome to watch it grow in!
Call or Text (801)834-3119
Nails12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nails12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 1:41pm
Looking good, I am truely jealous!! Love the rock! Its quite the set up.
This is more than a hobby; its a lifestyle.
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2012 at 11:58pm
Beautiful tank, Love the setup, gives me some ideas for my 180, you have some sweet sps's in there, any chance you would sell a few frags (help finance your project) , or I could offer some help in exchange if your interested.  I am building a LED rig right now should be done in like a week.  Love the build though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic