Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anne's 65g RSM Reef

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 6:23pm
Phosphates are almost back to normal and almost everything is back to normal. Unfortunately I lost one of my moorish idols today because he was beaten up by the other one.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2013 at 6:30pm
I'm glad to hear everything is pretty much back to normal. Sorry to hear about the Moorish Idol though.

Please share this link with your dad. http://www.nightsea.com/  It was a real pleasure meeting and talking with him today.

Mike

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 11:50pm
I think it's about time for an update here...

These are some progress shots of different corals/fish in the tank.

Emperor Angel:
July 2013
November 2013

Yellow Montipora Digitata:
January 2013
November 2013

Red Monti Cap:
May 2013
November 2013

Tyree Mystic Sunset Monti:
June 2013
November 2013

Tyree Jedi Mind Trick Monti:
January 2013
November 2013

Blueberry Special:
May 2013
November 2013

ORA Red Planet:
May 2012
September 2012
October 2012
April 2013
November 2013 (after fragging the entire colony over the summer)

Full Tank Shots:
February 2012
December 2012
January 2013
March 2013
July 2013
November 2013

And just some other shots…

Tyree IceFire Echinata (November 2013):

Longnose Hawkfish (November 2013):

Tyree Red Dragon (November 2013):

Cali Tort (November 2013):

ORA Pearlberry (November 2013):

Edited by Ann_A - November 28 2013 at 11:52pm
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2013 at 11:58pm
Lookin good! I'm interested in seeing how that icefire turns out
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 12:42am
Thanks! I got it a short time ago from Cole (spike) and it's been doing great!

I also threw the optics back in my AIs so I wouldn't have to run them at such high power because they were overheating. Now I'm slowly bringing them back up to 75% peak intensity. I dropped it down to 25% (from 90% which is what they were overheating at) but have them in the acclimation mode which is supposed to end in January. Flow was recently increased with the addition of a Jebao WP25, which has been a great addition although I'm wishing I'd gotten the WP40 instead. I already have about 70x turnover an hour so I don't think more flow is necessary but I'd like it (borderline insane?).

The biopellets have been working wonderfully as has the rest of the filtration and equipment, with the exception of the horrible stock skimmer (soon to be replaced) my calcium reactor which got plugged up. Now that that's all cleaned up though I have it back inline but I don't dare turn the CO2 on because I can't seem to get my ph over 7.7 anytime during the day or night. All of the parameters have been stable at healthy levels so I don't know why the ph won't come up.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 3:27am
I would think poor air circulation in the house would be a contributing factor to higher CO2. Being in the basement would increase that also since CO2 is a heavier molecule than O2 and N2. Do you have any algae in a refug. to kick up the O2 production in the tank? Any plants down in the room you have it in?
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 10:35am
The tank is in my front room on ground floor. I do know that the house has a higher CO2 level which contributes to the low ph. No plants in the room or algae in a refugium. I did run some tubing across my living room to a window with my skimmer air intake connected to it (the joint is sealed) which brought the ph up to 7.9 by the end of the day yesterday. So I'm probably going to buy some sodalime to run the skimmer intake through.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2013 at 12:18pm
sounds like you have it all figured out! Let us know how it works out.
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2013 at 5:24pm
I'll upload more pics sometime in the next day or two, but I thought I'd post a quick update in the meantime.

Recently I replaced the stock skimmer with a Deltec MC500 skimmer which has been skimming incredibly well. It's also much quieter and my water temperature has dropped 2 degrees. I still can't get ph over 7.7 but hopefully that will be changing soon (Christmas isn't too far away). Lights are up to 48% and increasing (VERY slowly).
Durff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Durff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 1:03am
Wow, I took a bigger break from the forum than I though. I remember when you got that tank. Looks great!

Edited by Durff - December 21 2013 at 1:04am
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2013 at 8:25am
Ann, the tank is looking great.

Fat
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2013 at 11:50pm
Thanks guys for the nice comments!

Last night I picked up a BIG purple gorgonian (~12" across the entire colony) that I'm still working on identifying but I'm pretty sure it's photosynthetic because the polyps are dark brown and the possible species I've narrowed it down to are all photosynthetic. Either way I plan on target feeding it quite heavily along with my tubastrea colonies and dendrophyllia colony. Eventually I'd like to build an automated feeding system using dosing pumps to "dose" phytoplankton and another food mix or two for the corals multiple times per day.

The deltec has been doing great and skimming so much better than the stock skimmer. It's much quieter and I am seriously wondering why I didn't switch earlier.
(this is about 24 hours worth of skimmate during the first week of use - it's now pulling even more)

The new gorgonian isn't in perfect health and I knew that when I purchased it but it was a steal and I'm really not too worried about being able to bring it back to full health.

This is a yellow/brown gorgonian I've had for quite a while now that has been doing very well and growing quickly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2013 at 6:49am
Beautiful photos Ann!

Edited by Mike Savage - December 23 2013 at 6:49am

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 4:50pm
Christmas earned me a BRS Universal Air Filter with their CO2 Reducing Media as well as a new supply of biopellets and a gate valve for the biopellet reactor's recirculating line. Now that the air filter has been online on the skimmer air intake line for over 24 hours now, the ph has come up by 0.2 so instead of 7.4 at 6am today it was 7.6 and now it's sitting at 7.9 at 5pm which is higher than it's been in weeks.

I also added another MP40wES so now I have one on each end of the tank. They are in anti-sync mode on long pulse mode and thus far the corals have seemed to enjoy the added flow and more consistent flow patterns.

Edited by Ann_A - December 26 2013 at 4:53pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2013 at 5:01pm
7.9 is a huge improvement!

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2013 at 7:01pm
Adding kalkwasser to the top-off reservoir got my ph up to 8.0 today. Hopefully it will stay around 8.0-8.2 now. The skimmer has also been working great, and with the biopellets refilled I've been feeding quite heavily without any major impact on my nutrient levels.

The tank has been sitting at these levels for a while now...
Ammonia & Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0.15-0.25ppm
Phosphates 0.035-0.05ppm
Calcium 450-500ppm
Alkalinity 8.0-9.8dKH
Temperature 74-76F (Day-Night)
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 7:38pm
Thought I'd post a few shots I took the other night while playing around with a new lens adapter for my camera to use some old minolta lenses we have. These were all taken with a 100mm Minolta macro mounted on a Sony A200.

Longnose Hawkfish

Emperor Angelfish

Powder Blue Tang

Edited by Ann_A - January 05 2014 at 7:39pm
mOnster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mOnster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 7:46pm
Cool pics ! the powder blue tang looks like he's throwing a kiss funny

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2014 at 9:29pm
Nicely done and  there is some great detail too.

Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2014 at 9:13pm
Just a few more shots from tonight...

Edited by Ann_A - January 07 2014 at 9:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic