Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adam's Nano Challenge 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:17pm
Change your [image] to IMG <-- all caps

Edited by jonafriendj - February 13 2008 at 9:24pm
Pleasant Grove
soundsurfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote soundsurfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:23pm
Since I do Bonsai i would make a river stream with only plants.    Have rockwork or even a big rock slab that has been drilled and sanded to mimic a sloping hill with riverbed in the middle.  cover the rock in maidens Hair plant. (note i would have to trim it daily to make it look like grass) Then in background on the #1 would be Mangroves coming out of tank.  the #2 plant would be xenia cespitularia (its a bluish green variety).  The plants for number #3 would be Shaving Hair Brush plant. to look like mini trees/shrubs.  Plant #4 are Halimeda Plants.  And Plant #5 would be singular zoas to represent flowering water lily's. 

The rockwork would be covered of the maiden hair to look like a lush valley, then sand would be glued on rockwork to make the appearance of a running streambed. (possibly superglue tons of Blue zoos for that effect, but i think sand would be prettier).  Then have random singular zoos in the stream bed to look like flowering water lily's.   Also  Have some rockwork not covered in the maiden hair, to resemble...rocks.   A planted only nano

Edited by soundsurfer - February 13 2008 at 9:44pm
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:41pm
nice picture haha
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:08pm
"COOL POOL"

I think a cold water tank would be cool. Think sunken pier with star fish and other inhabitants from the Oregon Coast. Ive walked the tide pools off of Seal Rock and was absolutely amazed by the bright colored rock anemones and starfish. Little fishes and invertebrates were unique. Keeping it at 50-55 degrees would be the challenge.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:17pm
I like the idea of a cool water tank with a Catalina Goby and Strawberry Anemones. I think Dave Tea got the Cool Water tank idea.

Mike

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

"COOL POOL"

Keeping it at 50-55 degrees would be the challenge.

If you put the electricity you normally use for lighting and heating towards a chiller, it not too bad... or expensive.
MrNewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:32pm
I have some awesome looking problem anemonies in my 65 display that I have been trying to kill, some of these guys look pretty cool, I have some little tulips that look like little green bubble tips.  If I can't beat 'em may as well cultivate them.  Maybe put in a baby clown fish to host in them.
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things
mermaidcamille View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mermaidcamille Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 11:06pm

Here's some for you (like you haven't heard enough from me )

1. Round tank mounted in one of those old school diving outfits. Maybe displayed from the ceiling via some clear lines.

2. Lantern.  Mount nano high on wall as to serve as a water filled lantern.

3. Habit trail. Think about when you had hamsters and had the cool set up with the five cages connected with tunnels....replace cages with nanos, colorful tubes with clear acrylic, and replace hamsters with a bunch of schooling damsels.

4.  Mount several nanos in one wall.

5.  Build a treasure chest around the nano.  Maybe add a pirate skull or two.

6. Make it into a cookie jar with chocolate chip starfish.

7. Fire extinguisher.  Fire gobies a must. 

8.  A “jewelry box: of pearls and such with one of those cute crabs that cover themselves in pebbles.

9. A seahorse tank with tiny coral corrals appropriately named the “water mustang ranch”

10.  An artist pallet.  Intricately placed splashed of colored coral to replicate an artists pallet.  The right rocks are a must.

11. A tank full of yellow fish and yellow corals.  Great for depressing snowy days.

12.  Black sand with fire gobies…great contrast!

13. A circus tank with clown fish.

14. 70’s disco tank with a disco ball incorporated somewhere.

15. 80’s tank: anything colorful and obnoxious.

16. 90’s: black sand with a lionfish.  Dark and punk.

17.  Figure out someway to use huge magnets to center the tank in the middle of the room so it floats.

18. Cuttlefish tank with different areas to mimic.

19. Make it into a computer case, then my husband and I can finally agree on something.

20. That is it I am tired.

Camille

Edited by mermaidcamille - February 13 2008 at 11:09pm
135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 11:20pm

how about using different colored zoo's to recreate Stary Night by Vincent Van Gogh on the back of the tank and then watching it morph as they grow

Debbles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Debbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 11:28pm
WOW Camille, I wish I had 1/4 of your creativity.  Great ideas.

Deb
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!
Cody Pearce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Pearce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2008 at 11:29pm

I'd like to set up a nano that had a whole bunch of carnations and a school of mandarins.

90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.
Pinner Reef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinner Reef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 6:25am
It seems whenever I walk through a store I look around and think of all the stuff I could put a reef into. Here are a few of the more viable ones.

Coffepot Nano with lights where grounds would go and filter in perculator area.

Rotating Cylinder for lazy man's algae scraping

I've always wanted to do a TV nano too. Gut a 13" add three walls and well you get the Idea.

One way mirrors all around so that when you look throgh  the reef looks like it goes on forever.

-pinner
In SLC Near Downtown
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 9:06am
How about this... I call it the Santa Nano

A bunch of Christmas Tree corals, and then like 10 emerald crabs and 10 strawberry crabs Big%20smile
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 10:48am
Do any of you have any idea how long it is going to take me to write all these down and compile a straight list?
Holy Smokes!  That is a lot of replies.
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Do any of you have any idea how long it is going to take me to write all these down and compile a straight list?
Holy Smokes!  That is a lot of replies.
Adam

I want to create a nano thats decorated to look like a note pad on the inside.  Then I'm going to write everyones nano ideas on it, and then I'm going to have pipe fish in the tank, so they'll look like pencils taking the notes Big%20smile
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
bannshy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bannshy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 1:29pm

I want to take the tv and put it behind the Nano so you can watch your fish and tv at the same time you would just have to match the size of the tank to the screen then your fish would have something to watch too.

then you could play movies like Jaws and Deep Blue Sea and watch the fish's reaction to all those teethLOL

Edited by bannshy - February 15 2008 at 12:36am
jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 4:30pm

You could do a variety tank where you have as many types of corals as possible.  1 head of as many colors of zoas, palys, 1 each of as many mushrooms as you could fit, a small frag of kenya tree, xenia, hammer, frogspawn.  Anything!  It'd just have to be small and the only one of it's kind in the tank! 

(Not sure how you'd be in the chemical warfare dept.)
Pleasant Grove
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 4:53pm
I like the thought of a shallow reef nano with a small octipus... an Austrailian Blue Spot would be awesome(the cuttlefish would be pretty cool too). With course crushed coral, a small cave or even just a tin can to replicate an area close the the shore or pier. Perhaps a small clump of turtle grass and, of course, a nylon screen top with a way to lock it... I would want to provide light for the grass. It should be quite easy to feed it with feeder shrimp or donated tank pests/hitchhikers. I've always wanted a tank like that.
www.captivereefing.com
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 5:35pm
A nano for every pest. They could be a training ground for the animals we buy to control those pests.
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2008 at 7:31pm
How about a "Nightstand Nano"?  Integrate a clock/radio/cd player/ipod player into the hood.  Have the time on the front of the canopy or better yet, project it onto the front or back of the tank.  The back could be an lcd display so you could have different backdrops to match the fish/time of day.  Like the "fish" screen savers for computers.  You could vacation in Cancun, dive the barrier reef, the Palancar in Cozumel, kelp forests of California.  What could be more relaxing at night or more pleasant to wake to than your own vacation with real fish and coral!  It could also double as an Ipod video player or maybe even a dvd.

You could go as different as you wanted with the livestock theme and still match the backdrop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic