Print Page | Close Window

Adam's Nano Challenge 2

Printed From: Utah Reefs
Category: Main
Forum Name: General Discussion
Forum Description: Posts that don't fit in any of the other categories.
URL: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=23697
Printed Date: April 27 2024 at 7:11pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Adam's Nano Challenge 2
Posted By: Adam Blundell
Subject: Adam's Nano Challenge 2
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 12:55pm
Well this may not have the surprise factor, and the cat may be out of the bag, but lets try...

What do you think would be the coolest idea for a nano tank.  Points awarded for livestock, creativity, design, all that.

Basically the same rules as before,  don't give me anything boring or common.

Adam
ps- you may repeat your entries from before just to be safe, but I do have them all on record to carry over

-------------
Come to a meeting, they�re fun!

Replies:
Posted By: jonafriendj
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:12pm
Is there a limit to how many ideas we can post!?

How about a dirty water nano with some flame scallops and other diry water filter feeders.

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Posted By: superman1981
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:24pm
Here are my first couple of votes:

#1 I'd like to start a nano with as many yellow clown gobys as I can find (like 10 or 20), so pretty much a couple of acros and then a ton of yellow gobys

#2 same concept as above but with a bunch of chocolate chip stars, and a variety of corals (I've never had one eat a coral before so I'd like to find out how or how not reef safe they really are)

#3 Dwarf seahorse tank, I'd put like 20 of them in a nano and watch them grow and breed.  Along with this, I would like to try to hatch "sea monkies" in the tank and see if I could get live food to constantly hatch in the tank.

#4 no rocks, no corals, just a bunch of upside down jellyfish

-------------
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78639&title=tims-65-gallon-build" rel="nofollow - build thread

Posted By: Shane H
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:27pm
How about a nano with a single fish = Rhinopias. Tongue

Now that would be cool.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:29pm
How about a small octopus in a 24 or 29 gal nano cube?  That would be way cool... I read online that 29 gal is a good size for small octopus... I just really want one thats all Big%20smile

-------------

6 gal nanocube
65 gal http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=78639&title=tims-65-gallon-build" rel="nofollow - build thread

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:34pm
maybe an all GSP tank with... hmmm let me think of what fish or inverts to put in an all GSP tank...

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Posted By: dustponds10
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:35pm

I think a tide pool nano would be awsome.  Have it filled around3/4th so 1/2 full and make a little barrier so that youu can have a pint size beach in it and have a few thing that you find in the tide pools.  Like crabs that you find on the beach, sand crabs,  and some really little fish that you would find.  Not sure what fish though.  But with this have a little wave maker that pops on and off all day and night to simulate some waves so the sand crabs could feed like they were in the wild. I think this would be cool.  with a 70 watt halide or something. 

Or with the same Idea doing a mangrove tank with all kinds of mangrove dwelling critters.

-------------
ASM G-3
T-5 lighting
130 frag system
T-5 lighting
asm G-1x

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:43pm
Cordless nano.  I'd mount it to the wall so it looked like it was just stuck there, or slightly recessed and run all the cords down through the wall.  Maybe even cut out a space somewhere below it to store supplies and put a door right on the wall!

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:45pm

Hanging nano.  You could hang a nano from the ceiling and run all the cords through the conduit it is hanging from.  Anything would look sweet in it, but maybe you could put in a bed of green and colorful zoas so it looked like a hanging flower basket.

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Posted By: bannshy
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:46pm

I would really love to have a row of Nanos like start with Hawaii Species Specific Nano. next to that a Marshall Islands species specific Nano. Next a solomon Islands Species Specific Nano. Next a Fiji Species Specific Nano. Next a Great Barrier Reef Nano... ETC

I need to do more research but I think it would be cool to put them in the order of Discovery with a plack that has info about each Island.

exspecially like the travels of Captain Cook he was my great great great....grandpa

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:48pm
Mated pair of Leafy Sea Dragons with the algea and sea weed that they hide in if one would fit in a nano - if not than Nano sizes need to include what ever size would hold one

Posted By: CrimsRayne
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:50pm
Lighting Ideas...
Etch A Frag
An sps nano with a rotational / adjustable MH lighting system. 
The tank would be a glass box (like the one at Fish-4-U).  The lights would be on a mount or track that go all over the tank.  Any angle.  The goal/point would be to "sculp" the sps as they grow.  The owner could create spirals or zigzags out of the growing pieces.  The lights would be moved either slowly or quickly to make the frags grow that direction.  The different growth speeds of the types of corals would be the challenge.

Full lighting
As many sps keepers know they look best from above as that's where the lights are.  What if there was a tank with a lighting system that rotated around the tank so the corals looked best from all angles.  For instance the lights would rotate around the tank for a couple hours during the day and move to the standard above view when the owner got home. 

-------------
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

Zoo freak :)

West Jordan

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:55pm
New idea, I call it the birth of television tank... We decorate the outside of the nano to look like a 1940's TV, rabbit ears on top and all.  We paint the back and sides black so that only the front (tube) is exposed.  Then use white substrate, the blackest rock available, corals that are black, gray, or white, or maybe SPS skeletons and black and white clowns Big%20smile

Coral ideas:
silvertip xenia
black sun corals
a gray colored condy
gray colored mushrooms..

Oh yeah for snails, those ones with the black and white striped shells Big%20smile

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:57pm
360 centerpiece nano.  Have a bottom drilled nano with the electrical, drain and returns all in nested pipe.  They wires, return and drain would all run through fake rock so you wouldn't really see anything.  The nested pipe would be the only connection you would see to the tank would be the pipe that is holding it up in the middle of the room.

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Posted By: Adam Haycock
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 1:59pm
cold water anemone.

cold water filter feeders and grow phytoplankton to feed them.

Mangrove Biotope.

Jellyfish.

cold water bivalves

Black mangrove biotope

Beach. Very shallow or no surface water. have sand-dwelling animals (ie, like the crabs that dig holes on Hawaiian beaches).

Floating coconut.

Oil spill. Set up a reef tank, then dump in oil.

Global warming. Keep the tank warmer than usual.

Phytoplankton, just green water

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Adam Haycock Adam Haycock wrote:

Oil spill. Set up a reef tank, then dump in oil.
LOL

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:03pm
a perfect circle of glass with Zero edge water over flowing on all the sides down to a refugium. something like 24" or 30" in diameter. a metal halide pendant also round that hangs from the ceiling. have the glass made with no seams. then when you put live stock in it they wouldn't feel trapped they could just swim in circles.

makes me think this would be perfect for a dog faced puffer it could chase it's tail.LOL

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:04pm
one filled with the Fresh water Jelly Fish from Palua.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:04pm
marine iguana

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:09pm
one large red carpet anenome and a school of black and white clowns

Stichodactyla%20haddoni

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:10pm
Not really great for a "nano" but I've wanted a polka-dot batfish.  They are so crazy.
Maybe some other Ogcocephalidae in a brightly colored tank.  Kinda a beauty and the beast nano.
For those that don't know just how crazy some of these look...

-------------
"What we know from this hobby is too hard to share with the people who just want to look and not get wet." -Rioreefer

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:11pm
Now this is more like it.  I log back on and 15 replies in an hour.
Adam

-------------

Posted By: jdmckell
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:11pm
Nevada Desert... UFO sighting.  Area 51

How about a Nano with ACROS all across the bottom placed in the sand to look like a desert of Acro cactai.  A small amount of live rock in the back ground to be the mtns...  and some Jeli Fish to be the UFO's.  Wink 

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:19pm
Poison tank.  Sea Wasps, Zoanthids, an anemone and a lionfish.  If it wouldn't eat or be killed by the wasps that is..

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:21pm
Psychedelic 60's... so the back of the tank is going to be painted to look like the tie-dye shirt Robert Plant wore at Madison Square Gardens...

All corals must show movement, say xenia, frogspawn, star polyps, and so on.  As for fish, a mandrin for sure, then maybe purple fire fish, a blue yellow damsel, a flame angel, crazy colored wrass... the possibilities are limitless.

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Posted By: Kevin
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:22pm
You could house a nano tank with an electric eel in it. Then for effects you could put lighting over it and have it flicker on and off. Or somehow rig something up so you have electricity arcing over the tank to give it that shocking appeal.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:25pm
I'm sad that the 360 nano with the overflow and all up the center and the cylinder nano have both already been mentioned, those were going to be my next two ideas Cry  I"ve gotta keep thinking...

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:28pm
A fresh water salt water tank. Acclimate a few different salt water (not mollys) fish to live in salt water. Gold fish and coral -- wouldn't that be a sight to see.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:29pm
I've got it, the Chea-tank!  We get one of those chea-pets, preferably the creepiest one available, and then let different shades of GSP grow all over it!  (I really like GSP)

and then to continue with the idea of wierd products that you see advertised tons around Christmas time, instead of putting the lights on a light timer, they'll simply be put on a clapper, so I can clap on and clap off the lights every morning and night Big%20smile

I think I'd put a small snowflake eel in the tank, so that he could swim in and out of the eyes in the chea-pet!

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:32pm
I've got it! I've got it!

The lava lamp nano, have the tank shaped like a lava lamp, have a bunch of different colored lights, say LED's that rotate through the colors.  Then fill it with upside down jellies!

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:33pm
I need to stop posting, or I'm going to annoy people...

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:33pm
Leaky tank.

Take a nano tank and purposefully crack the front glass. Then silicone half way up the crack and then let the upper half of the crack leak. Set up a system so that the water flowing out of the crack drips into a refugium (It needs to drip so you can see it leaking) and then a pump to continuously refill the tank.

Salt Creep tank.
Some how set up a tank system that is designed to help salt creep to form. Think of the possilities -- saltcicles, ribbons of brown salt snaking down the tank.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:38pm
This one may already be covered but A Camo tank -- It could be simply an octopus, or cuttle fish, or maybe some tan substrate with some flounders.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 2:44pm
Goth Nano
Black sand, dark live rock, combo of black lights and actinic or 50/50 pc lighting.
Decorate with black sun corals, zoos and lps that are dark and some that glow under black lights.
Stock with black sailfin blenny, neon goby, small marine betta, small black or goldrim tang and black urchin.

-------------

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan

Posted By: MadReefer
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:01pm
This might be too simple. I would take a 29-45 gallon tank and drop in a divider about 1/3 from one side. The display would be the smaller part with a big fuge being the 2/3 part. In the fuge put a DSB with fresh live sand to seed it. Thin sand in the display part with some fresh LR. Chaeto in the fuge. Grow light over the fuge. A light with more blue over the display.
I was going to say see what grows but I was too slow and it's been done so:
Option 1- a mated pair of neon gobies and some cleaner shrimp. It will be a cleaner spawning nano.
Option 2- nothing but one mandarin dragonet and zoas.
Option 3- all of the above.

Posted By: stephan
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:47pm
How about a symbiont tank. Everything in there would have to have a relationship with at least one other organism in the tank. I think that would be so cool. Like a shrimp and goby sharing a burrow, of course anemones and clowns, pocillopora and the little commensal crabs that live on them, etc. There are lots of others I'm sure. maybe just one, maybe as symbionts as you can fit in one aquarium. That would be fun.

-------------
Stephan Lovstedt
Camarillo, CA
65 Gallon Glass

Posted By: Jeff Morrill
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:51pm
Marble's  for the substrate, Perlyjaw fish, Sand sifting gobies,sand sifting star... Got a visual?LOL

-------------
WHAT KINDA GUM????... Give em 2 sticks.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:55pm
Put mirrors on 3 sides and put in a couple flasher wrasse

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 3:59pm
Xenia disposal: Instead of flushing your xenia you could have a bunch of Phyllodesmium hyalinum - xenia eating nudibranchs

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Jeff Morrill Jeff Morrill wrote:

Marble's  for the substrate, Perlyjaw fish, Sand sifting gobies,sand sifting star... Got a visual?LOL
Cry  That's terrible.
I think it would be more fun to have a sand shoving contest.  Get a jawfish, engineer goby, sleeper goby, sand stifting star, and horseshoe crab.  Let them setup homes under a few pieces of rock and go at it.  No corals as they would probably get burried.  Just sand mayhem.

-------------

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan

Posted By: lwallentine
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:12pm
My duaghter really wants a seahorse tank, or a moon jelly tank would be cool

Posted By: jfinch
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:13pm
An "low reef impact" tank.  Nothing in the tank taken directly from a reef.  Utah rock and sand.  Frags from someone else's tank and tank raised fish.

-------------
Jon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6y_EzjI_ljbIwf2n5uNzTw" rel="nofollow - What I've been doing...

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

An "low reef impact" tank.  Nothing in the tank taken directly from a reef.  Utah rock and sand.  Frags from someone else's tank and tank raised fish.

I counter with a high impact tank...
Only stuff that the person has gone out and literally hand picked.  Buckets of sand, water, fish, corals, everything.  It would take several trips, but the end result would be pretty neat.  Not to mention add a real feel of personalization.  You could look at the tank and say "I caught you" Wink

-------------

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan

Posted By: soundsurfer
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:38pm
THE NANO "Tank of Death"  or "Anaphylactic Nightmare"

Either a salt water tank full of Urchins and a couple mated pairs of fang blennies.
a single dwarf lionfish. or squirrelfish's
or even possibly a box jellyfish.

Or go freshwater with Your very own Electric eel or Electric Knifefish.

ps....included with the tank is an Epinipherine pen to self administer in case you ever decide to add frags of some very dangerous zoo/paly at the bottom without gloves on

pps....I am editing this now that I see JonaJfriend beat me to it.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:40pm
iPods. Lots of pods. No fish, no coral, just a breeding ground for pods.

Micro tank. Just salt water and sand for microscopic stuff. But have a dropper and a microscope next to the tank to view the inhabitants.

clones. Clone your fish to limit impact on ocean.

Great Salt Lake. Add sand and water from the great salt lake. Collect any life you find in the water there.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:42pm
Cone snails... collect your own with no gloves or shoes.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 4:58pm
One day I'm going to make one of these with saltwater.  Maybe combine the open bottom and fish highway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5InNVJ_Ythc&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5InNVJ_Ythc&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXft1DfmywA&feature=related - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXft1DfmywA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxMRqZ9dUx8 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxMRqZ9dUx8

-------------

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan

Posted By: Debbles
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 5:00pm

Ok, so a lot of people have a tank in every room so how about bringing a room into the tank?  A bathroom tank...  It would be bare bottom with little limestone or travertine tiles set as a "floor",  gsp as a "rug", a return pipe coming out of one of the sides as a "showerhead",  a little ceramic tub, toilet and sink.  In the tub I would put a "bubble coral" I would put a sea cucumber (the terd) and a cleaner shrimp in the tank,  candy canes could serve as the "lights" in the bathroom,  a branching rock with a sheet of nori would be the "shower curtain" I would add a yellow tang ( to eat the nori and because it is yellow and could be my "rubber ducky")

Debbie

-------------
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 5:03pm
Eva your post reminded me of this: http://fishighway.com/ - http://fishighway.com/  Way too cool! 

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Posted By: Dion Richins
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 5:15pm
"Garden of Eels"
An awesome tank would be a island tank. Set up in a island theme. Bamboo stand and frame. Maybe set up in conjunction with some tropical plants on either side. The hood could be made to look like the top of a grass hut.
In side the tank would be a deep sand bed. 6-8" deep with several Congrids. (Heterocongerhalis- Garden eels) I saw a display of these in Pittsburgh and was totally enamored by them.

-------------
http://www.customaquariumfurniture.com" rel="nofollow - Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 5:41pm
I want one of these too. 
http://www.aquavistainc.com/ - http://www.aquavistainc.com/
Not sure what I'd put in it as it's 4.5" front to back and only 6.6 gallons.  As Alex said "really skinny fish".  LOL

-------------

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 7:32pm

I would like a nano that has the front half exposed sand and the back half raised off the sand about 3" rock that is covered with every color of Ricordia Florida so the rock can not be seen and have the ricordia climbing the back of the tank as well the return to the tank come from under the rock in the sand have sea grasses on the sides with a few mated pairs of Seahorses.

Posted By: EagleEyez5
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:29pm
I don't know if this was mentioned, or something similar....I didn't take the time to read all the posts...but

I would love to do a night time/never day time tank.....only run moon lights or small actinics on the tank.....find some bright colored corals that will survive with the bare minimun light because the day lights will never be turned on........try to grow gsp in the tank.....because I have three different colors in my tank now, and they look great under the actinics.......then also put in a few different colors of coraline algae, I have some bright pink that also glows under the actinics.......basicaly run the tank only using the blue light spectrum.......I would put in bright white sugar sand, mixed with argonite mud......and also add a few very bright zoanthids......eventually after killing a few frags, I would find the corals that do survive under the LACK of light, and just continue to grow them......Again this would have to go into a room that gets little light from other sources, but my cold storage room would be perfect.....I already have the moon lights, and the coral, now it is only a matter of finding a few fish that could survive, as well as look cool under the lighting.... a yellow tang would look cool, as well as a few bright damsels......if they are the only thing in the tank.....

-------------
http://www.highendcorals.com/">
WMAS PAID SPONSOR

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:33pm
Eva... the Ogcocephalidaes are AWESOME!  It's like a mix between a sting ray and a frog fish, and maybe a goby!  Where do you find all these awesome fish!?

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Posted By: jpndave
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:47pm
Ok, so I wasn't too late, I was too early!

I was reading up on pistol shrimp (as I have been trying to find my RandalliConfused, any help here would be appreciated).  Anyway, I found an article that stated pistol shrimp will take out a Mantis.

So, my nano idea (which I may try btw) is a "David and Goliath" pistol vs mantis shrimp.  Or you could call it the "Poseidon's amphitheater", "Neptune's ampitheater", or the "Colosseum" nano.

I also like the Berghia and aiptasia tank but take it one step farther and have an aiptasia refugium to raise food for the Berghia.  And, offer a live rock cleaning service to all the club!

Posted By: ewaldsreef
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:56pm
I have wanted to this for some time. I got the idea when I saw Mark Petersons suspended reef.

You would have a cube style tank with rock work in the center. The rock work would be suspended from the canoy so there would be nothing touching the sand at all.
The cool part would be that it would rotate. It would be driven by a small motor and slowly rotate so that you could view the rock mass from all sides.

-------------
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 8:57pm
How about a nano "Ant Farm".   One way glass tank that is thin enough that the burrowing critters have to burrow next to it.  A pistol pair, jawfish, or other burrowing critters.  Could make for some interesting viewing.

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:05pm
Great idea Bruce!

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:14pm

The River Stream Nano:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2282/2264333484_95fa27af96_o.jpg - http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2282/2264333484_95fa27af96_o.jpg

this doesnt allow pictures???

[image]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2282/2264333484_95fa27af96_o.jpg[image/]

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:16pm
Da**it all that hard work into making a picture. can someone post my picture for me?? I was going to tell what the numbers are.

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:17pm
Change your [image] to IMG <-- all caps

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:23pm
Since I do Bonsai i would make a river stream with only plants.    Have rockwork or even a big rock slab that has been drilled and sanded to mimic a sloping hill with riverbed in the middle.  cover the rock in maidens Hair plant. (note i would have to trim it daily to make it look like grass) Then in background on the #1 would be Mangroves coming out of tank.  the #2 plant would be xenia cespitularia (its a bluish green variety).  The plants for number #3 would be Shaving Hair Brush plant. to look like mini trees/shrubs.  Plant #4 are Halimeda Plants.  And Plant #5 would be singular zoas to represent flowering water lily's. 

The rockwork would be covered of the maiden hair to look like a lush valley, then sand would be glued on rockwork to make the appearance of a running streambed. (possibly superglue tons of Blue zoos for that effect, but i think sand would be prettier).  Then have random singular zoos in the stream bed to look like flowering water lily's.   Also  Have some rockwork not covered in the maiden hair, to resemble...rocks.   A planted only nano

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 9:41pm
nice picture haha

Posted By: Dion Richins
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:08pm
"COOL POOL"

I think a cold water tank would be cool. Think sunken pier with star fish and other inhabitants from the Oregon Coast. Ive walked the tide pools off of Seal Rock and was absolutely amazed by the bright colored rock anemones and starfish. Little fishes and invertebrates were unique. Keeping it at 50-55 degrees would be the challenge.

-------------
http://www.customaquariumfurniture.com" rel="nofollow - Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Posted By: Mike Savage
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:17pm
I like the idea of a cool water tank with a Catalina Goby and Strawberry Anemones. I think Dave Tea got the Cool Water tank idea.

Mike

-------------

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by Holdencraft 33 Holdencraft 33 wrote:

"COOL POOL"

Keeping it at 50-55 degrees would be the challenge.

If you put the electricity you normally use for lighting and heating towards a chiller, it not too bad... or expensive.

Posted By: MrNewbie
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 10:32pm
I have some awesome looking problem anemonies in my 65 display that I have been trying to kill, some of these guys look pretty cool, I have some little tulips that look like little green bubble tips.  If I can't beat 'em may as well cultivate them.  Maybe put in a baby clown fish to host in them.

-------------
Just a couple of glass boxes full of slimey things

Posted By: mermaidcamille
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 11:06pm

Here's some for you (like you haven't heard enough from me )

1. Round tank mounted in one of those old school diving outfits. Maybe displayed from the ceiling via some clear lines.

2. Lantern.  Mount nano high on wall as to serve as a water filled lantern.

3. Habit trail. Think about when you had hamsters and had the cool set up with the five cages connected with tunnels....replace cages with nanos, colorful tubes with clear acrylic, and replace hamsters with a bunch of schooling damsels.

4.  Mount several nanos in one wall.

5.  Build a treasure chest around the nano.  Maybe add a pirate skull or two.

6. Make it into a cookie jar with chocolate chip starfish.

7. Fire extinguisher.  Fire gobies a must. 

8.  A “jewelry box: of pearls and such with one of those cute crabs that cover themselves in pebbles.

9. A seahorse tank with tiny coral corrals appropriately named the “water mustang ranch”

10.  An artist pallet.  Intricately placed splashed of colored coral to replicate an artists pallet.  The right rocks are a must.

11. A tank full of yellow fish and yellow corals.  Great for depressing snowy days.

12.  Black sand with fire gobies…great contrast!

13. A circus tank with clown fish.

14. 70’s disco tank with a disco ball incorporated somewhere.

15. 80’s tank: anything colorful and obnoxious.

16. 90’s: black sand with a lionfish.  Dark and punk.

17.  Figure out someway to use huge magnets to center the tank in the middle of the room so it floats.

18. Cuttlefish tank with different areas to mimic.

19. Make it into a computer case, then my husband and I can finally agree on something.

20. That is it I am tired.

Camille

-------------
135g...D.E.A.D

Welcome bright and shiny 120!

Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 11:20pm

how about using different colored zoo's to recreate Stary Night by Vincent Van Gogh on the back of the tank and then watching it morph as they grow

Posted By: Debbles
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 11:28pm
WOW Camille, I wish I had 1/4 of your creativity.  Great ideas.

Deb

-------------
Yes Mikey...I still have fins!!!

Posted By: Cody Pearce
Date Posted: February 13 2008 at 11:29pm

I'd like to set up a nano that had a whole bunch of carnations and a school of mandarins.

-------------
90 gallon mixed reef
My fish swim naked.

Posted By: Pinner Reef
Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 6:25am
It seems whenever I walk through a store I look around and think of all the stuff I could put a reef into. Here are a few of the more viable ones.

Coffepot Nano with lights where grounds would go and filter in perculator area.

Rotating Cylinder for lazy man's algae scraping

I've always wanted to do a TV nano too. Gut a 13" add three walls and well you get the Idea.

One way mirrors all around so that when you look throgh  the reef looks like it goes on forever.

-pinner

-------------
In SLC Near Downtown

Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 9:06am
How about this... I call it the Santa Nano

A bunch of Christmas Tree corals, and then like 10 emerald crabs and 10 strawberry crabs Big%20smile

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 10:48am
Do any of you have any idea how long it is going to take me to write all these down and compile a straight list?
Holy Smokes!  That is a lot of replies.
Adam

-------------

Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

Do any of you have any idea how long it is going to take me to write all these down and compile a straight list?
Holy Smokes!  That is a lot of replies.
Adam

I want to create a nano thats decorated to look like a note pad on the inside.  Then I'm going to write everyones nano ideas on it, and then I'm going to have pipe fish in the tank, so they'll look like pencils taking the notes Big%20smile

-------------

6 gal nanocube

Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 1:29pm

I want to take the tv and put it behind the Nano so you can watch your fish and tv at the same time you would just have to match the size of the tank to the screen then your fish would have something to watch too.

then you could play movies like Jaws and Deep Blue Sea and watch the fish's reaction to all those teethLOL

Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 4:30pm

You could do a variety tank where you have as many types of corals as possible.  1 head of as many colors of zoas, palys, 1 each of as many mushrooms as you could fit, a small frag of kenya tree, xenia, hammer, frogspawn.  Anything!  It'd just have to be small and the only one of it's kind in the tank! 

(Not sure how you'd be in the chemical warfare dept.)

-------------
Pleasant Grove

Posted By: reptoreef
Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 4:53pm
I like the thought of a shallow reef nano with a small octipus... an Austrailian Blue Spot would be awesome(the cuttlefish would be pretty cool too). With course crushed coral, a small cave or even just a tin can to replicate an area close the the shore or pier. Perhaps a small clump of turtle grass and, of course, a nylon screen top with a way to lock it... I would want to provide light for the grass. It should be quite easy to feed it with feeder shrimp or donated tank pests/hitchhikers. I've always wanted a tank like that.

-------------
www.captivereefing.com

Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 5:35pm
A nano for every pest. They could be a training ground for the animals we buy to control those pests.

Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 7:31pm
How about a "Nightstand Nano"?  Integrate a clock/radio/cd player/ipod player into the hood.  Have the time on the front of the canopy or better yet, project it onto the front or back of the tank.  The back could be an lcd display so you could have different backdrops to match the fish/time of day.  Like the "fish" screen savers for computers.  You could vacation in Cancun, dive the barrier reef, the Palancar in Cozumel, kelp forests of California.  What could be more relaxing at night or more pleasant to wake to than your own vacation with real fish and coral!  It could also double as an Ipod video player or maybe even a dvd.

You could go as different as you wanted with the livestock theme and still match the backdrop.

Posted By: GARFVolunteer
Date Posted: February 14 2008 at 10:36pm
A repeat but since I was too late for the last nano challenge...

I think a small rimless tank(20 gallons or so) with a single 175/250 watt halide pendant hanging over it would look awesome. It would be a seamless acrylic with a center overflow to the sump The return lines would be plumbed so the output is at the base of the overflow.  The aquascaping would be live rock in the center covering the overflow and plumbing.  The sand bed would be about 1-1/2" of fine aragonite and I would ensure I screened the sand to ensure all of it was very fine.

The stand would be made out of a hardwood to match the decor of the room.  It would contain a small sump with refugium, skimmer, return pump, and exhaust fan for cooling.

I have been getting different types Acanthastrea from GARF lately to grow out for them. I have been particularly impressed with the acan dunkins and the micromussa in particular. A few acans with colorful zoanthids and mushrooms covering the rock and a couple of clams in the sand would top it off nice.  The low flow return from the sump would be ideal conditions for the lps and zoanthids.

If it was going in my house, the lovely and gracious Monica would require some fish.  I am not really up on what fish to keep in a nano but I do remember seeing some awesome gobies in some if the nano reefs on the tour.

Now to make all this work right, the tank needs to be placed in the center of the room with 360 degree viewing.  My sister has a perfect room in her house for it.  I have never liked her  pedestal with bronzed naked lady on it.  A rimless reef would be so much more artistic and classy....

Thanks,

Scott

-------------
President Idaho Marine Aquarium Society
A fair and biased reef hobbyist
"How do you make poor people rich by making rich people poor" Rush Limbaugh on Obama taxes

Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 12:33am
I would like to have a nano with a red, a orange, a green, a purple Carnation and some gorgonians also a few sun polyps and one feather Star.
the lighting would be only for color that way you could feed only phyto Clclopeeze, Rotifers. the colors would be georgeous

Posted By: Pinner Reef
Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 1:51am
I had another Idea today as well... The tank of death.

Get a blue spotted octo,lionfish, black spiny urchin, scorpionfish and the list could go on from there.

PS I'd give major props to the person willing to maintain this tank with the standards that nanos requrie.

-pinner

-------------
In SLC Near Downtown

Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 1:54am

This is a nano that I would like to take care of.

It would be really nice if the fuge could look like this.
And for the display side I think that many different stock lists could work but I think it would be cool to stock with just one or pair of fish, one type of coral and some snails to clean up all around. The contrast and simplicity of the visual would make it striking. I would choose the type of fish and coral based on the final setup of lights and such. I haven't thought that through yet.

Posted By: H200
Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 9:07am

Any Fans of Nightmare before Christmas?

I think it would be cool to do a theme tank around the movie.
you could arrange a pile of rock to form the arch Jack is walking on with the moon behind him,
You could put a arrow crab in to represent Jack (his arms and legs remind me of an arrow crab)
a Medusa worm looks a lot like the snake that eats the Christmas tree..

Frog fish kinda look like Oogie Boogie (sp?)

There are so many different charters in the movie, I am sure there are more that look like fish....

randy

-------------
210 gallon glass aquarium
90 gal Refuge.
900Gal Pond

Posted By: Skittles
Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 8:48pm

Get some branching rocks and plant them in a DSB like a bunch of trees. Cover the trunk with Zoas and the top with GSP. Get some microalgae to look like undergrowth. Then get some very flamboyent fish to be the tropical birds.

-------------
24G Nanocube

Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 9:35pm
Along the lines of a camo tank -- Get some sort of supposedly color changing animal ( cuttle fish, octopus, sea horse?). Then on the nano tank put a thin sheet of white paper covering all but the front. Then for light you would illuminate the tank with a different color each day -- Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange and so on. See if the color changing animal takes on the color of what the tank is being illuminated with each day.

Posted By: Will Spencer
Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 10:10pm
A deep sea heat vent tank.  Put some of the worms etc that inhabit the deep sea vents in the tank and heat it to 180-200 degrees. 

Barring the difficulty of doing that a tank dedicated to Polycheates.  Fan worms of all kinds, Bristle Worms, Spaghetti Worms, etc.

Posted By: Will Spencer
Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 10:11pm
Also, I still think a Stomatopod tank would be ultra-cool.

One like this:

Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 10:24pm
transparent aluminum

Date Posted: February 15 2008 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by Skittles Skittles wrote:

Get some branching rocks and plant them in a DSB like a bunch of trees. Cover the trunk with Zoas and the top with GSP. Get some microalgae to look like undergrowth. Then get some very flamboyent fish to be the tropical birds.

I love this idea. A canary blenny would probably work. My bicolor blenny "perches" on rock work.

Date Posted: February 16 2008 at 1:38am
Originally posted by Adam Haycock Adam Haycock wrote:

transparent aluminum
Only if you are planning on housing humpback whales.  Wink

-------------

"The Puffer Girl"

West Jordan

Posted By: sshm
Date Posted: February 16 2008 at 1:40am
24g nano aquarium, open top. place some live rocks in a semi circle so that about an inch or so of the rocks are outside the water. On these exposed areas there will be some miracle mud on which some semi tidal seaweed will be grown, a powerhead placed near the top of the tank will produce waves and a float switch on a timer will simulate tides (will need some plumbing from an external water reservoir with same salinity as the tank). In the tank itself along the top portions of the rock there will be some photosynthetic corals like xenia, zzoanthids etc. Along the bottom of the tank and on the sand there will be filter feeders and some low light corals. I will name this tank the Nano Bikini Atoll and will use it for testing nano thermonuclear weapons for fun.

-------------
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1157896 - Difficult and special care reef inhabitants

Date Posted: February 16 2008 at 2:02am
lol, we have a winner.

Very nice sshm. Win

Posted By: Jhamb
Date Posted: February 16 2008 at 11:03am
hahahaha I love that ideaLOL

-------------
Jeremy

40B INW

USAF

Posted By: Crazy Tarzan
Date Posted: February 16 2008 at 10:19pm
I want a tank with feather stars--and their commensal shrimp that live on them, the hard part would be keeping the feather star alive.  Or any other commensal relation, urchins and shrimp or bangaii cardinals, cucumber and shrimp etc.

The goby tank( I know it's already been mentioned)--all different colors/types of clown gobies (there are at least 5) mixed into a 24 gal nano with one or two huge sps like trees, and the gobies would be the birds

A pure sun polyp tank--lighting would only have to be enough to see them, and have all different colors arranged in groups of three on different shelves through out the tank--yellow, orange, black, then orange black green, then yellow green black etc.  Throw a pair of fire shrimp in just for some contrasting colors.  Then build a housing for the tank in a stylized sun shape preferably sphere shaped around the whole tank, and call it the sun in the ocean.

-------------
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing

Posted By: cl2ysta1
Date Posted: February 16 2008 at 10:25pm
I would like to set up my nano as my new Gold stripe maroon clown raising tank. It is going to take a few months to even get this going.

I need to start my phyto culture *need donatation to seed this*
I also need a rotifer start * anyone have this*
I am also going to need fry rearing tanks, air bubblers, 2 liter bottles Tons!!!.
a shop light with a plant bulb. Small heaters. etc etc.

Raising clownfish is hard work!

AND there is a catch. anyone who donates anything I need will get a free Gold stripe maroon when/if I can raise some!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Posted By: cl2ysta1
Date Posted: February 16 2008 at 10:25pm
also need 10 gallon tanks.

-------------
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover

Date Posted: February 25 2008 at 11:28am
CLOSED!
Thanks again to everyone who participated.  I'll be printing off all these posts to read... it will take a while.

Adam

-------------

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.03 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net