Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New guy/gal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
vidar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New guy/gal
    Posted: March 01 2005 at 1:47pm
Hey all, My fiance and I went snorkling in Cabo about a month ago and fell in love, so we decided to start a salt water aquarium with an old 40 gallon tank we had.  Needless to say with the aid of google and some advice from people we have it up and going, to a point.

I apologize if this is not the right place to post this, I checked around and there doesn't seem to be a post anywhere else that answeres my questions.

First off currently all we have is a salty tank at 78 degrees f., no fish, no live sand (we took it back after reading a FAQ on the web) no lighting, no decorations.  I think our main plan for this tank is just fish, although we would love to have a reef tank, we need more experience first and I prefer to ask questions before acting (I learned this from growing carnivorous plants).

First off, how much lighting do we need for just fish? Will we want/need a cleanup crew? Where is the best place to buy the equipment we need and is there a place near sugarhouse (We live just off of parleys)

Also instead of starting with fish, do you all agree that a live rock would start the tank off best?

We have a ton of questions, and were thinking about attending the meeting you will be having this Thursday, if I'm correct.  Is it open to the public or do we have to be members to attend?

Thank you in advance for any advice or suggestions.
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 2:03pm
First of all, welcome to the site! This is an addicting hobby, so be carful.

If you plan on just keeping fish in your tank, it doesn't matter what kind of light you have. Anything to make it look good. May I suggest a combination of white lights and actinic to bring out the colors of the fish.

Before you introduce snails, crabs, shrimp (clean up crew) you'll have to decide on what kind of fish you want. What kind of fish you put in your tank will greater determine if you can have corals or invertabrate (some fish eat snails, crabs, shrimp, small fish, corals, etc.) I'd check out a local fish store to see what kind of fish you'd like to get, and go to as many as you can. Fish For You is close to you. Good knowledgable people, but I'm not too impressed with there selection. The Aquarium is in Sandy. Good store, with pretty good selection.

In my opinion, you should start out with liverock first, before ever introducing fish. Its a great filtration system also. Usually you have about a pound of rock per gallon. Sounds like a lot, but its really not. Plus this gives your fish a place to hide and swim around. Makes it more natural for them.

Hope this helps!
vidar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 2:36pm
Thanks!  I can see it becoming very addictive, and with the investment so far, I don't see giving it up easily.

I think we want Tagga and gobbies, I hope I spelled that right, the yellow fish with the long nose :)  I know I would love to have an eel or some other exotic fish, but to start with I think tagga and gobbies, unless someone else has any suggestions.

What we want is a very colorful tank with as many different types of fish as possible, and a tank that is low maintence for the most part, we do not have another tank yet so cleaning the tank would be difficult and possibly harmful to any fish.  I do plan on setting up a small tank to give any new fish a "fresh water dip".

By the way, does any advise on giving cleanup crews frshwater dips as well? or just fish?

Maybe some info about our setup will help as well.

Whisper power filter 60 (hangs on the back)
200w heater
Red Sea salt
profile powerhead 600 (might add another on the opposite side)
And I'm not sure about the name and brand of gravel, but it's crushed sea shells or something, very similar to the sand we are use to seeing at the beach.  We made this really thick, I would say 3 to 4 inches think, I heard the thicker the better.

This was all about $250 from petsmart, which I think if we had looked around we could have done it cheaper, but i'm hoping you all tell me it's a nice setup to start :)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 3:09pm

I'd say start with some live rock, and some live sand from people in the club.  I'll bet you can get some at the meeting on Thursday.  Oh, and yes the meeting is free and open to the public, so we hope to see you there.

Don't dip inverts, only fish.  Actually, I don't really think dipping the fish is all that good of an idea.  Tough call.

I agree with pmpt on the lights as well.  Two whites, two blues. Pick what fish you want ahead of time (Yellow Tangs I believe) and most importantly, look at other aquariums.  Lots of people here willing and wanting you to come visit their houses and see their tanks.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 3:26pm

Please come to the meeting this thursday.  Visitors/Guests are always welcome.

Old 40 gallon tank?  What was in it?  Hopefully nothing that would exclude corals (and live rock).  The WMAS members are extremely helpful.  I am sure you could find someone to talk with at the meeting about what you have in mind for your aquarium.  We are always happy to help someone get addicted to this hobby. 

As for your plans for your tank.  If you are not going to put corals in, I would definately do a FOWLR (Fish Only With Live Rock) tank.  The live rock looks cool, helps filter the water, and give the fish proper hiding places. 

As for you "freshwater dip tank".  I would do some searching on this forum about it.  Many people feel the added stress to the fish is not worth the potential benefit.  I personally do not do freshwater dips.  Of course, there are some people that advocate this practice.  Its up to you to decide.

Finally, I am glad you came to this forum for advice.  I have found the advice here to be much better that what you will get at the local fish stores.  The LFS's are great, but I think those that live on this forum have more experience.  Well, except me.

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 3:31pm

Oh, once your tank is cycled...Definately do an eel.  They are so cool!  I have four of them.  If you are ever in the Sandy area, let me know and you can come see my tanks.  In fact, there are quite a few of us in Sandy that would be happy to show off our tanks.

When is the next reef tour?

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 3:54pm
And just one more thought. I wouldn't spend too much time at petsmart or petco for your saltwater needs. Having worked at a real fish store, and having to correct the advice given from petsmart and petco, I'd just stay away from them. About the only thing I'd ever buy from there is food, and the LFS have them at the same price so I don't even worry about them.
vidar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:16pm
We would LOVE to see everyones tank!!!  We have friends  in sandy, so a trip out would be great as long as you don't mind a well behaved 5 yr old girl :)

We will try very hard to make it to the meeting, it sounds like fun!  And summertop you need to tell me all about the eels!!!!!!

Also pmpt, thank you for all your advice, and we have already decided against petco/petsmart after our initial visit, the live sand advice did them in.
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:20pm
I'm also in Sandy. Its a 46 gallon reef, so not much compared to some of the others on the board. But your always welcome.
vidar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:27pm
By the way what time is the meeting? I just looked but couldn't see a time, I swear I saw it somewhere before along the lines of 7pm, is this correct?

We have parent teacher conference at 5pm that night, but the school is also close to us and so is the meeting so if it is indeed at 7, we should make it!

We are going out tonight to look at live rocks if we can find any, we just learned what cured rock was (and found out its not ever cured till you cure it)

Summertop I forgot to mention, the tank was given to my friend and sat in our basement, it was a saltwater tank before he got it, so when it was given to us it had dried algea all over, we scrubbed it down with soap water before doing anything to it.

It has been running now since saturday waiting for something to go in, but we aren't in to much of a hurry, well my daughter is, she loves fish!!
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:38pm

Yes, the meeting is at 7:00pm

There may be someone on this board selling live rock.  It is usually better (and cheaper) than what you can get at the store.  Although, I did get some nice live rock at "Fish 4 U".   

===========

Shawn Winterbottom
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:40pm
I'd make sure all of that soap is out of that tank! Soap is very bad for fish.
Just as a FYI, you're looking about 3-4 weeks letting your tank sit without anything but rock in it. Thats your tanks time to cycle. Biggest thing in this hobby, don't be in a rush.
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 4:44pm
The Aquarium usually has a lot of liverock for sell. Cheaper the more you buy. But check out several different stores to see what you like.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 5:10pm

Welcome to the board and the club.  I'm so glad you found us before you got too deeply into setting up your tank.  I was at the 4 month mark spending too much money and killing fish before I found this site and the club.

As pmpt said the most important thing to remember about this hobby is PATIENCE.  You'll hear that from all of us and it's because we all learned the hard way.  (At least many of us did. )  It really hurts to buy a $25 fish and find it dead in less than a week.

First off the aquarium definitely needs time to cycle.  I would suggest at least a month.  I know having a box of water and rock makes waiting very difficult, but believe me your tank and your critters will be the better for it.

My first suggestions would be as follows:

1)  Get a cup of sand from 2 or 3 different people from the club.  This is the best way to jump start your sand and make it all "Live".  Many of us would be happy to bring a cup to the meeting if you ask.  Myself included of course.

2)  Definitely do live rock.  This serves several purposes.  First it is the best biological filter you can use.  Secondly, it looks good and provides hiding places for your fish.  Most fish need a place to hide in order to feel comfortable.  This will lower the stress level of your fish and keep them healthier.  Thirdly, and possibly most importantly, when you decide you want coral the rock will be there to put it on.

3) Along with the live sand from other tanks get some live water as well.  This could all come from one tank.  Many of us use "live water" from another tank when we set up a new one.  This water already has the microbes and whatever other life in it that you are shooting for by cycling your tank.  This will help jump start the cycle.  I will be doing a water change this weekend and would be happy to let you have all the water you want.  I would say change out 50% of your water with this water if you decide to do it.

I wish you the best of luck with your tank and we would all love to see you Thursday at the meeting.  Be for warned, however, that this meeting will get you pumped up about corals.  Also, on that subject, I would say and I think many others would agree that corals don't make the hobby more difficult.  In fact, Mark Peterson will likely be on here soon telling you that they actually make keeping your fish easier and that they do a great deal of water filtration themselves.  Coral's do require better lighting, however, which can increase the cost of your lighting by a significant amount. (But not necessarily.)

One last thing.  In your original post you mention the fish you like.  The correct names are Tangs and Gobbies.  You specifically mentioned the Yellow Tang. 

Sorry for the length of this post, but I hope it is of help.

Richard L. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 5:23pm

I would suggest making a binder, electronic or hard copy doesn't matter.  In this binder put information you find on the web or in literature about the various fish you hope to keep.  For example, you mentioned gobies- I love 'em, (have 4 in two different tanks- remember that prior comment about addiction?) but some gobies placed in a fish only tank may not do well depending upon your selections for their tankmates.  By making a binder or collecting information on the fish of your dreams you will be educating yourself and saving many potential headaches and heartaches in the future, not to mention saving your pocketbook.  Cut little gobies can be expensive food for a Harlequin Tuskfish (wrasse family).  A very good rule of thumb is, "Learn ererything about the animal you can before you purchase it." The binder is a nice way to do this.  You can even take the binder to the store with you to reinforce your informed decisions.

My personal recommendation would be for you to consider some wrasses- they are awesome!  Wrasses also go well with Yellow Tangs!

Richard
Alpine, UT
vidar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 5:27pm
Thansk Will!!!  long posts have a lot of information, so they are always welcome.

If i'm not mistaken, the ruler(fiance) and I would love to have corals, but as I stated before, from reading faq's and posts, it seemed that newbies like myself should not attempt this, not to mention we only have a 40 gal tank, which also seemed a bit small for a novice to start coral in.  Also lets talk about cost, we spent $250 already and would prefer not to spend another $250 just to have everything die.

Now, that said, we have not bought any lights yet, and I grow carnivorous plants as well so we already have a ton of ligths around and I could easily use the excuse that more lighting on the tank gives me the ability to grow my plants next to the tank.  We are also open to any ideas on starting a reef tank if it's feasable and cheap enough ;)

I made a post in the trade/buy section asking for live rock to be purchased at the meeting on thursday,  if ANYONE has some more additions that would help my tank, I would be happy to consider and purchase as needed.

As for live sand I'm a little nervous about, if I have a live rock from one tank and live sand from a few tanks, how well will this play out? Will they benefit each other or hinder each other?  Also add in live water from other sources, now I have 3 minimum sources of live organisms.  Is this good or bad?

I apologize for so many questions, but you are all so helpful and kind that I can't stop talking ;)

On another note, I think learning about the fish we want before we buy them  is very solid advice!!  This is the reason nothing is in out tank, we have been reading about it for 4 days and only feel comfortable enough to buy a rock heh.

Edited by vidar
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 5:32pm

Not sure if Silcox sold all his live rock or not.  May want to PM him (SSilcox)

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 6:13pm
Skip the eels, they are just too much like snakes! They climb
outta the tank and could strangle you in your sleep. You would
be much safer with seahorses!

Welcome to WMAS!!! Come see our tanks when you cruise to
Sandy! We are just west of there!
vidar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vidar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 6:28pm
Sweden is west of Sandy? ;)

And my fiance said the same thing!!!!!!   I say the starfish are the ones more likely to sneak out of the tank at night and suck on your face.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2005 at 7:14pm
Ouch!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic