Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SEX! My Clowns Are Doing It!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SEX! My Clowns Are Doing It!
    Posted: December 13 2010 at 11:43pm
I have a mated pair of disbar ocellaris clowns!!! I just found a little brood behind my RBTA while doing a water change tonight. I'm so excited! The eggs are right below the top of the overflow (about 5 inches or so). Do you think they have any chance at all of making it to the refugium and growing up?

Her is a pic of the Eggs-

And the anemone (they sure picked a big enough home)-

And the parents. Sorry the photos a little old, they are lots bigger now.

Note how my anemone changed. Crazy huh?

If you guys have any advice on the best method to keep these little guys alive when they hatch, let me know.

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - December 13 2010 at 11:55pm
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 12:31am
wow a little pg13 dont you think? lol thats great! i wish my maroon clownfish can mate
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 8:55am
Thats awesome!!
90 gallon mixed reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Sculpin Sculpin wrote:

Do you think they have any chance at all of making it to the refugium and growing up?
If you guys have any advice on the best method to keep these little guys alive when they hatch, let me know.
Are you serious about this? Did you attend the MWRF?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 9:15am
I did attend the MWRF but I don't get the connection. I must of missed something.

What did I miss?

Micah

29 Biocube

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 9:34am
Did you listen to Rod Beuhler's presentation?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 9:49am
Apparently not. There was a lot going on that day. Wana give me a run down?

Micah

29 Biocube

Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 9:59am
Is that the same anenome in the two pics?
Life is good....right?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 10:10am
Well, let's see...
Preparation is absolutely essential.
- prepare two months in advance
- have a hatching/rearing tank ready to go
- know exactly when the hatch will occur
- have rotifers ready to feed
- know about metamorphosis
- have BBS ready to feed
- have water changes always on hand
This is a brief outline but there were many fine points that those of us in the room that had also raised Clownfish discussed with him more at length.Smile
Here is a simple question that will get you moiving in the right direction.
QuestionDo you know who wrote the "bible" on raising ClownfishQuestion

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 14 2010 at 10:11am
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 10:32am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

]Do you know who wrote the "bible" on raising Clownfish

I don't think he's published it yet. Unless of course you are referring to the ever popular yet highly criticized jw book.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 10:50am
Well I have no idea of what you guys are talking about. Your all being way to cryptic for me. Sounds like raising clowns is super complicated but hey I'm always down for learning something new. Just please, clearly give me some noob instructions and I'll start getting ready.

Based on the picture, how far along do you think the eggs are?

And yes, that is the same anemone in both pics. I lost all its bubbles and got HUGE!

Micah

29 Biocube

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 4:44pm
It's not too complicated but rearing clownfish has been written about more than a few times since I first did it in 1998. I wasn't the first but I may have been the first in Utah. There is a site, http://www.breedersregistry.org which promotes all this type of activity.

Since you are asking, I assume they didn't hatch last night, but will tonight.
Get the Clownfish "bible" by Joyce Wilkerson
Some basics:
About 1/2 hour after lights out, turn off the water circulation and get a dim flashlight or use the moonlights if you have them.  Hang around as they hatch to watch the larvae flicker in the dim light as they swim around.

Adam, are you waiting for Rod to write his methods, or someone else?

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 14 2010 at 5:26pm
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Sculpin Sculpin wrote:

Well I have no idea of what you guys are talking about. Your all being way to cryptic for me. Sounds like raising clowns is super complicated but hey I'm always down for learning something new. Just please, clearly give me some noob instructions and I'll start getting ready.

Based on the picture, how far along do you think the eggs are?

And yes, that is the same anemone in both pics. I lost all its bubbles and got HUGE!

Micah

It's complicated in the sense that you have to set up a separate system in order to raise them and make sure you do things right.

They won't make it in your tank. They'll be eaten, starve to death or get killed by equipment. I imagine it would be quite the accomplishment to raise your own clownfish. Congrats on the breeding! I have a pair of clowns that just dance at each other......
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2010 at 6:34pm
Ok, so can I borrow the "Clownfish "bible" by Joyce Wilkerson" from someone in the club? I checked on amazon and there is one new for almost $1000 and some used for $60-70. As for tonight, I'll try what you suggested Mark. Would it work if I took a 2.5 gallon aquarium, filled it with tank water, put a bubbler in it,  scooped up the baby clowns up in a rotifer net as I see them, then put them in the 2.5 tank? I know I'll likely kill them all but I really want to try keeping them alive if I can.

It will be a fun project so let me know. Any tips and coaching will be much appreciated, their little lives depend on it Shocked.

Micah 

29 Biocube

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 7:17pm
Netting isn't good because their frail little bodies can't handle the stiff net.
They are attracted to light. Turn off all lights except for a very dim light, like a flashlight with almost dead batteries, that you place up next to the glass. With the water flow completely off, around 1/2-1 hour after dark the Clownfish Larvae will hatch and will go to the light where you can scoop them up with a small container. Without live rotifers the next morning they will die within hours.
To find the larvae, don't look for swimming fish, look for jerking silver dots.

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 7:40pm
Well I got my timer set to shut the flow down 30 minutes after the lights go out. I'll be checking in every night to see if they do end up hatching. I have a 5.5 under the tank with a sponge filter and heater ready to go. What I don't have though, is live rotifers. I've got dead ones, but not live ones. 

How important is it that they have live ones? Is it for sure they wont eat the dead ones?

Micah

29 Biocube

Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 8:05pm
They hafta be alive. There is a lady named Aimee in Centerville who raises rotifers as well as copepods and other little critters. She has also successfully bred and raised many breeds of clownfish. I dont have her number anymore, but Randy at MSM has it. He calls her the bug lady lol. She would be a good local resource.
Life is good....right?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 9:06pm
Well if they dont hatch tonight ill have to find a way to get in contact with her.

Thanks

Micah

29 Biocube

ptronsp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ptronsp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 9:15pm
OMG if I want a good laugh I just look under Micah's post. HILARIOUS! He responds exactly what I am thinking.. love it.
 Pam
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2010 at 9:41pm
PM sent to sculpin
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic