Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

need help with ballast

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: need help with ballast
    Posted: January 11 2008 at 3:54pm
So I got my other 400w ballast in the mail today. Kyle mailed it here from ohio. It is a 400w coralvue e-ballast. I wired it all up. hooked it up. fired the light. I was here for 20 min or so than had to go to work. came back and the bulb was off. I cant get this Da** ballast to fire a bulb now. I'm guessing it got damaged during shipping. when i turn it upside down something is jiggling in there. I tried taking it apart to check it out but they glued the ends on with like lock tite or something. Is it worth taking it apart or should I just go claim it for insurance which will take months.

any ideas?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 3:54pm
PS i'm really frustrated
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 4:10pm
ok well i read on the manual  it definetly shouldn't be opened :( which is probably why they glued it.
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:16pm
Is the ballast brand new?  Opening it will likely void the warranty. If its used and bought second hand, I'd crack it open and see what's going on.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:19pm
yeah it is brand new but it was bought second hand. the guy we got it from had bought it from another guy that never used it. how do i get it open? it looks like its glued with lock tite or something?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:19pm
it sounds like something is completely loose in there. i tried replacing the fuse for the heck of it and no luck
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:25pm
ok i got it open. it seems a donut looking thing that is wrapped in wire is completely disconnected from the main circuit board. is this fixable?
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:28pm

and not only that it appears that they had yellow rubber of sorts between all these donut things and it melted part of it *i'm guessing b/c it was broken to begin with.

=( argh

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:32pm
Got a pic?
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:36pm
yes give me one second to take them. =( real sad
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 5:45pm

ok I emailed coralvue to see if they did repairs and if this was even fixable. here are some pictures. we'll see what they say

here is the donut piece that was broke off

here is where it came out of. notice the burnt melted plastic on the other donut

full ballast shot

I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2008 at 9:52pm
=(
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
faviasteve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote faviasteve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 12 2008 at 3:05pm

That should be fixable.  The ends of the copper wire on the donut should be able to be soldered back into the correct holes on the circuit board.  I believe the yellow rubber pieces are there to prevent the donuts from touching each other- to prevent a "short".  That's probably what happened and those donuts were very hot to melt that rubber.  I know it's hard to look at the situation like this now, but be grateful the whole ballast didn't start on fire.

Steve Burton

Logan, Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic