Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jebo 4x55W....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
frogster20001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogster20001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jebo 4x55W....
    Posted: October 07 2003 at 1:39pm
 I just bought one of these lights 85 bucks shipped and got it today. I must say its pretty bright! I have heard some people say they are cheap and others good. Whats the deal on these lights? Can they support any corals or anything, or are they just an amped up version of regular flourescents? It came w/ two 10000k's and two blue actinics.  Thanks for the advice..I really dont want to misunderstand what these lights are and dont want to buy anything that cant live under them.  I only have a tube worm at the moment.

Edited by frogster20001
My clan : Bannerfish, cowfish, 2 damsels, tube anemone, arrow crab, and a clarkii clown! My baddies from the fw section: 2 GT's, Jack dempsey, vieja spyllium, jag cat, 2 huge heckel discus,& lungfish!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2003 at 10:25pm
If a person asks for opinions only after taking delivery what good are the responses.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2003 at 10:38pm
let us know how they work for you.
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogster20001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2003 at 11:16pm

Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

If a person asks for opinions only after taking delivery what good are the responses.

Well all responses count. I bought the light because it was a good deal, and surely much better than what I had hanging on there before. I was just wondering if its good enough to support anything. If you dont have anything positive to add then why reply to the post?

My clan : Bannerfish, cowfish, 2 damsels, tube anemone, arrow crab, and a clarkii clown! My baddies from the fw section: 2 GT's, Jack dempsey, vieja spyllium, jag cat, 2 huge heckel discus,& lungfish!
scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 1:27am
Well sayed . Let me know how it works out for you and maybe post a picture so people can se what the light looks like. And also what size tank do you have. That lighting should work great with most all softies and some limited sps maybe monti. but as far as sps and lps they can seem to do well for a couple of months and the just slowly decline with insufficiant lighting.

For example just like grass under to much light it can burn very quickly. Under to little light it can do well for awile and then start to die.

Someting to think about
Alot of the corals we buy are collected not grown by the collectors. So they come from perfect conditions in the wild. Some collectors propogate them under insufficiant lighting slowly doing damage to the coral. and then the hobbiest gets it and puts it under more intence lighting that more simulates the wild therefore burning it and causing bleaching and or death.

what I have writen is fact and opinion.

Edited by scroll
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 8:37am
frogster20001, The statement was not meant to offend but to suggest that what if the equipment you bought was considered junk. How would you feel if that was the responses you got back. I'm just saying that the responses you get will be tempered because you already paid 85 good dollars for it. Why would someone tell you it was junk, just to hurt your feelings? I'm not saying it's junk, because I don't know about those particular lights.

I agree with what scroll said. I hope you have fun growing all the stuff you couldn't with your old lights.
Please forgive me for offending you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogster20001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 9:39am
Well all forgiven.  My tank is a 65g and I only got a few pieces of live rock if you can even call it alive in there now, with a few pieces of small dead coral and a sea fan.  It actually looks kind of bare.  I am gonna leave it that way so my cow fish doesnt get stuck in anything. Maybe get a few more pieces of live rock (hopefully with something growing on them) in the future.  The light I had on there when I got the tank was broken on one side and the tube had to be taped into place, not to mention the fact that it was probably 50 years old, and the guy I bought it from (off ebay), left the whole fixture in the rain.  So sometimes the light wouldnt even come on.  That is why I bought the light cuz it has some kick to it. If the light I bought is junk and someone wants to tell me that ..fine.  Maybe someone also has the same light and is keeping something alive under. You never know unless you ask.  Everyone has different experiences and opinions.

Edited by frogster20001
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 10:10am
I'm usually not bashful to say what I think but it gets me in trouble often!

You said you didn't want the cowfish to "get stuck in anything." That could definitely happen with an anemone, especially a tube anemone, but other coral does not catch fish. You could add soft coral like Sinularia(leathers) Nepthia (the green stuff from Oboy), Xenia and Woods Polyps (See my old tank in the Gallery. It was all soft coral).

I would stay away from SPS unless you had enough LR to place it within 6 inches of the water surface. SPS will grow when it is close to PC lights, but the Cowfish may nibble on it. I would also be careful with most if not all LPS, because the cowfish may chomp on some of it too. If anyone has had direct experience with cowfish and coral, please jump in.

I beleive it was a good thing for you to buy those 4 - 55 W PC. They are a good light source, it's just that I have no idea of that brand. At the price you paid, it may be that the ballasts are cheap and may stop working after a couple years, I just don't know.

Thanks for providing some background info. Now that I understand where you are coming from, the new lights are definitely a major improvement and you will probably enjoy the new aquarium you can create with them. Don't be afraid to try coral frags and see how beautiful the tank can become.

Edited by Mark Peterson
ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 12:07pm
I've got one except one of the bulbs broke during shipping.  $45.00 if anyone wants it.  I only used it for a few days.
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 1:15am
I KNOW A FEW PEOPLE WHO HAVE BOUGHT THESE...SAID THEY ARE GREAT FOR THE PRICE......BUT WANT TO REPLACE THE BLUE BULBS WITH 10K ACTINICS INSTEAD OF THE 7100 BLUES THAT COME WITH EM....SAY THEY ARE KINDA GREEN TINT ......OTHER THING WAS THEY SAID THAT THEY DONOT HAVE THE BULB SOCKETS THEY ARE WIRED TO THE BULBS BUT IF YOU ARE EVEN A LITTLE HANDY THEY SAID NO BIGGIE WITH THAT......OTHER THAN THEM 2 THINGS THEY RECOMMENDED THEM FOR THE PRICE......THEY ARE WELL WORTH IT ...HOPE THIS HELPS.....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 2:34pm

Originally posted by ffc3 ffc3 wrote:

I've got one except one of the bulbs broke during shipping.  $45.00 if anyone wants it.  I only used it for a few days.

Do you still have it to sell?

Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2003 at 7:47pm
Hey Frogster.. so you've had the Jebo for over two months... what's the verdict? good/no good? Thinking of getting one too.. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic