Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cheap lighting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RockStarFish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheap lighting
    Posted: August 07 2005 at 2:18am
is there any lighting(metal halide) that you can peice together from parts that you can pick up from the hardwhare stor and if so what are thay
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 6:38pm
No.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 6:48pm

You can occasionally find MHs at Home Depot but they use 4200K bulbs.... and not much cheaper than doing a DIY from www.hellolights.com

Your best bet is to find some used bulbs and ballasts

Edited by BananaTropics
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 7:47pm
ebay
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 8:02pm
Hardware store(home depot)!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2005 at 11:50pm
Again, No.
BananaTropics has been lucky to stumble on to a few items which I have looked for and not found in several other HD's.

The fixtures I've found at HD, only fit their own special bulb and it's bad Kelvin rating.

You can't even get decent PC lights or ballasts at a hardware store, but,
Commercial Lighting Supply at ~3500 S. and 500 W. has some of the stuff you might need and their prices are good. I'd check with them.

The other item we can get locally for dirt cheap is mirrored aluminum reflector from Advanced Lighting at 2180 W. 1700 S. It's important to call Bruno at 972-9530 to arrange.

The best stuff I've found at HD are the cheap standard screw-in twisted PC bulbs and clip-on socket with cone reflectors that can be used for a refugium.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 1:57am

Marks right, I haven't seen the 175 watt MH from Home Depot since I bought mine. It was a medium based bulb like this one... http://www.hellolights.com/methal175wat1.html

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2005 at 2:00am

BTW, that bulb listed on the link above is an ideal bulb for a refugium, IMO. But the mogul base in 5500K is cheaper, FWIW

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockStarFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 4:37am
Thanks to all that replied. I have looked and looked and noting but got lucky on ebay and got a MH ballast I was just wondering and hoping
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2005 at 6:12pm
keep an eye out here and other BBs. I got my setup that way. People upgrade to a higher wattage and if you are there.... IT's yours cheep.
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic