Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fish 4 U

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish 4 U
    Posted: February 18 2014 at 5:05pm
Just wondering of anyone know the owners name of Fish 4 U. Spent about 2 hours in the store talking with him and he a hell of a nice guy. Mark Peterson name came up a few time as well as Bill from Pets and Such.

Ended up buying some fish food as well as an awesome 15 head set of candy cane's.. 

Anyhow just wondering what his name is...  As many times as I go in there I should know. 
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 5:08pm
Kris is definitely a nice guy and very knowledgeable too! I love that store!

robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 5:25pm
Yeah seems like he know his stuff as well.  Took today off work and it was pretty slow there so he was had plenty of time ti help out and answer questions. 
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 7:19pm
He is a great guy . The longer you are around the more you will appreciate the time spent by different people in stores . There are just too many to list but you will find your favorites.
robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 7:30pm
I agree. So many of the store, the people leave a bad taste in your mouth.  What are some of your guys favorite stores? 
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 7:32pm
Ryan at aquatic dreams is great to deal with and mike at aquarium masters
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 8:31pm
Paul at reef on is great ! But my favorite has to be Rusty at Benepets we seem to just mesh well. Both are great to deal with in business and on a personal level too. 
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 9:22pm
Rusty at Benepets, his employee David ( young dark headed guy who works for him) are top notch and you can take any advice they give you on fish and corals to the bank.

Shaun and his wife Angie at Reef Oaisis are as honest and as helpful as you can get. 

Nick at reefinsanity.com, his stuff is at his house, awesome corals.

The owner of  the store on center street in Orem is very cool.  I can never remember the store name or the owner's name..

Bill up in Ogden that runs out of his house, is very cool also.  Not sure if he is back running from the move.

The owner and the two ladies that work at Fish 4 U are really awesome.

Edited by bmac2 - February 18 2014 at 9:57pm
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 9:30pm
Aquatic Evolution, Shawn is the other Orem one, I hit there and a reef oasis and love both. I went to Benepets for the first time this past Saturday, missed Rusty as his wife went into labor that day but I have known him for a few years and love working with him. The customer service at benepets was great they made sure you felt like you were important.

Edited by bstuver - February 18 2014 at 9:31pm
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 9:56pm
I really enjoy shopping at the Aquarium. Very friendly, beautiful, well stocked store, and I can never get out of there without buying at least one coral too!

bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 10:36pm
Well there are several people mentioned above who are cool, and I was yelled at for naming names of negative places so I can't name names.  BUT...

There is one store that is threatening and trying to prevent anyone else from starting a store or even selling corals and fish from a home/garage shop.  And anyone who has a website selling stuff from Utah he has started calling his suppliers and threatening the suppliers to try to get people's accounts shut down.  Pretty much is an unethical, self centered person who only cares about his store and NOT the hobby.

We have another store in the valley that is famous for bait and switching on prices.  Advertises one price on-line, and charges you higher in the store.  And has publicly claimed that he supplies all the other fish stores in the valley with fish and corals, which is totally untrue.

You have another one on Redwood road that just plain stinks when you open the door, and the few poor saltwater fish that are in there are not really cared for, just thrown in tanks.  I have seen some very poor excuses for health in those tanks.

I think everyone needs to do their research and find out what stores are run by honest people that care about the hobby, or the unethical people who are out to make a buck.  There are too many good stores, Benepets, OCD Reefs, Reef Instanity, Reef Oasis, Aquatic Evolution etc.  And I am sorry about the guys in Ogden north, since i live way south I have never shopped there, so I leave a review of those stores to the people up there.
Stand by Dion
robbrouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote robbrouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 7:19am
Sorry you got yelled at, but considering the store you talked about it a sponsor it really doesn't surprise me..   The two store that leave a bad taste in my mouth are the one you talked about and the one close the Valley Far Mall and the E-Center.

Really wish there was some place you could get an honest review of a store and not get yelled at for it.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 8:09am
Kris and Carrie(sp?) Fidone are the owners of Fish-4-U.

The LFS and owners/contact names are all located on a page linked via the blue button at top left of this page, labeled "Local Fish Stores". Our volunteer presidency is trying to find the time to update the list. This was discussed not too long ago in a thread started by Nick801 of Reefinsanity.com

Reviews are too subjective and open for debate (and lawsuit Cry). One of the most knowledgable in the industry is disliked by some people but others of us got along with him excellently. He closed his retail shop because tank installation and maintenance is where the money has always been for him.

It's nice to read the positive impressions of our LFS. It is amazing to me how far the LFS have come in their understanding of reef husbandry. When I came into the hobby and started the WMAS, our knowledge swiftly raced ahead of the stores. The creation of this forum, one of the first in the world, allowed our cumulative knowledge to grow exponentially. In the early days(1995- abt 2005) we were always having to help people to get over the terrible advice of the LFS. To see how that has changed, for me is bittersweet. Beer

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Trivia:
Did you know that Fish-4-U is not the original name? It carried the name Fish-R-Us for many years, until Toys-R-Us discovered it. A threatened lawsuit Angry forced the previous owner to change the name.

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 19 2014 at 8:13am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 8:36am
It is not that subjective when a store owner makes comments or tells lies.  A jerk is a jerk, and a liar is a liar, and a thief is a thief.  We got all three in this valley.
Stand by Dion
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 8:49am
You know I have shopped at every single store in Utah (Except down south) And have not had a bad experience at one of them. I try to shop at every store several times a year (not just once) and every time I have good experiences... maybe Ive just had good luck. 

J
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 8:55am
and I have been in every store south of Ogden hundreds of times, and even the three I don't buy stuff in anymore I still go and look just to see stuff and see what is out there.  And I see the same things every week, the good guys are honest and helpful, and the ones who are not right act the same way every time.
Stand by Dion
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 11:06am
Thank goodness for this forum. Clap
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
nsfw dave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nsfw dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 9:11pm
just throwing in my good .02 cents for mike up at aquarium masters and dave (reef kingdom) both super helpful awesome dudes.
480 in wall in progress
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic