Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lights

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lights
    Posted: August 22 2010 at 10:27am
I have a new nano(new to me) and my white light flickers on and off. I press down hard on the light switch and it'll turn on but in less than 5 min, it's off again. I got up this morning and it didn't turn on. Is it electrical? Is it an easy fix? Should I buy a new fixture? Can you even buy a new fixture to put in there?
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 11:01am
What type of nano is it? Some of them such as the Biocubes are notorious for crappy ballasts. Does it have two lights driven with separate ballasts? If so plug the ballast of the light that is still on into the light that won't turn on. Does it turn on? Get a new ballast. If it doesn't get a new bulb! The ballast are generally pretty cheap and I think most local stores carry a few.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 11:31am
Most common problem is a connection point somewhere. Don't even start thinking about replacing parts and certainly not entire fixtures before checking connections.

The connections are everywhere. The connection that jwoo mentioned is only one of them. Others are the connection of the pins at the ends of the tubes and sometimes it's an internal connecting point.
Move your ear close to the fixture and listen for a buzzing/crackling/popping sound as the light turns on or goes out.
Feel free to call me as you are checking it and I'll help you isolate it.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 1:21pm
It's an Oceanic 29 gal nano. Does that help? 
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 6:02pm
Yup that's what I thought you had. Bad ballast is almost 95% certain. Everyone I've know who has had one (including myself) has had the ballast go. Lucky you they are cheap ($35) and easy to replace. I'd just do what I suggested above to make sure then get a new one. There are literally thousands of posts across the internet about the crappy ballast in biocubes. You can check the other connections but I'd put money that it's the ballast, Mark probably just doesn't have the experience with oceanic biocubes and know about the design flaw in these ballasts. It's pretty well documented though. Do the quick check to verify.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 10:33pm
Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic