Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Halloween Hermit Crab

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Corusco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corusco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Halloween Hermit Crab
    Posted: October 25 2004 at 8:22pm
I added a new member to the family today, a Halloween crab.  It's the kind that is a color morph of the scarlet crab, like the electric blue leg (from what I have been able to research out) with purple legs and bright orange joints and leg-tips.  I have checked stuff out on WWM and RC, and it seems that this kind is supposed to be a fairly amicable addition to a community aquarium, but my guy seems to have picked fights with two of my tricolor crabs (others have complained about halloweens going aggro on RC, but they have been different species, from what I have read.)  I know that Nate Laidlaw (crazy tarzan) has one of these guys and it has been a friendly guy.  Anyone else have experience with these?
Justin in Orem

55 larval Semi-Reef
140 Reef in progress
lex0219 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lex0219 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2004 at 8:34pm
let me guess doctor foster smith...ya i have one and it is very peacefull kinda shy acculy well if u got any other Q let me know
"I will search until i find my happily ever after"-renee

tanks
10 gal dwarf
30 gal fw
10 gal nano reef
12 gal nano cub

The Air Force is where it is!
Corusco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corusco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2004 at 9:30pm
hehe, actually i got it at aquatica down here in orem.  about 45 minutes ago he gave up on the tricolor, which climbed onto the back of his (halloween's) shell and hung out for about ten minutes.  They then proceeded to climb behind my rockwork piggyback style and I havent seen them since.  If that was a mating ritual then it was pretty wack...ive never seen anyone actually get action by being physically violent on the first date.  Dunno though; it did seem that the new guy was trying to get in the other's shell 
Justin in Orem

55 larval Semi-Reef
140 Reef in progress
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 9:09am
All my hermits continually try and eat any of the other small hermits--especially about the time they molt.  When I'm bored I toss them on seperate sides of the tank and time how long it takes them to run into each other again. 
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 10:19am
Do they have enough to eat? Most fights are over food (or mating).
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2004 at 4:02pm
The new one probably stole her cheeseburger and fries.    Sounds pretty cool, Justin. 
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Corusco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corusco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2004 at 1:08am
Thanks for the input everyone!  All of my crabs have been accounted for, except my largest tricolor,  so I am thinking the new one may have been stressed from the move and went territorially agressive.  He was only in the tank for about 30 seconds when he went after the first one, so I dont think he was starving to the point of killing over food, although I admit the little one's strawberry shake -was- looking mighty tasty.  He also has the largest shell in the tank, with plenty of room to grow into, so there again, i dont think it was over a mobile home.  I think he even has satellite in his current model.  ANYway things are pretty much back to normal now and we have a new member of the family initiated with a good healthy feud, Freddy the angry-ace crab.

Edited by Corusco
Justin in Orem

55 larval Semi-Reef
140 Reef in progress
acerob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acerob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2004 at 10:47am
I have a halloween crab too.  when I had him in my Nano Cube he was the worst herit that I've ever seen.  Lazy, wouldn't hardly move except for when I fed the fish, and he was quite murderus.  He caught one of my clownfish and was eating him and he took out about 4 other hermits.  since I have moved to my bigger tank, he is about the best crab in the tank.

Edited by acerob
Highland, UT

12g Nano

90g Reef
orangefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2004 at 12:13pm
I had one and he killed a Maxim clam, all my turbo smails, my other hermit crabs and a coral banded shrimp. I hear they are ok if they are small but as they get bigger they eat what ever they can. They are cool but I won't get another unless I do an all fish tank.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic