Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help!
    Posted: April 12 2009 at 11:05pm

Hey,

I recently got a beautiful sunset paly LE.  I noticed what looks like to be aptasia to be growing in the middle.  I want to know what would be the best way to get rid of it without harming my coral.  Please let me know. 

Thanks,
Matt
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2009 at 11:07pm
Aiptasia X or a hungry Peppermint shrimp.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 10:06am

If I get Aiptasia X on my corals, will it hurt them?

Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 1:28pm
I don't know. I have heard that the aiptasia actually eat the aiptasia X and take it in instead of trying to apply it to the outside of the aiptasia.

Mike

Andreason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andreason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 2:03pm
We have used it on stuff surrounded like that before with mixed results. If you can hit the aiptasia head, and not have it fall off, you will be ok. If it does slip off onto the corals they usually die. However, keep in mind the aiptasia can kill the coral as well so you might as well risk it. Turning off all powerheads and pumps really helps the stuff stay put.
Andreason's

jamzdean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamzdean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2009 at 2:36pm
I just used Joe's Juice on some aiptasia that was attached to Xenia.  I got a little careless and got some on the coral, it didnt hurt the coral at all.  In fact my xenia is so happy that the aiptasia is gone it was about twice the size the next day.
210g Reef
3 x 400w pendants
4 x actinics + moonlights
Octopus Extreme 300 Skimmer
Reefkeeper Elite controller
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 12:52pm
I killed an entire zoo colony using joes juice on aptasia in their midst, but AptasiaX worked great for me without hurting the surrounding zoos.  just don't get it on any of them, it's pretty easy to spot feed just to the aptasia.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2009 at 1:41pm
Thanks, everyone for the advice.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic