Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

overflow issues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: overflow issues
    Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:09pm
i finally bought a corner tank (54gal) that has an
overflow. i set everything up (sump, plumbing, pump)
when i run everything i am getting lots of bubbles
from my drain line into my sump. these aren't just
micro bubbles but large bubbles (soundsl like a
motor boat at idle) i've tried adjusting the height of
the drain plumbing and blocking holes but it still
seems to be sucking alot of air from the top holes.
any ideas?? is there a certain way you should prime
the system??
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:20pm
Is this a reef ready set up or do you have a durso standpipe? Can you take a picture of it, I might be able to give you some advice if I can see what you have going on.
Rocky Phillips
Hill AFB, Utah

Currently Tankless :(

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:20pm

maybe you can make a durso stand pipe. They are virtually silent, but you will still get the bubbles.

BTW, I can tell you have a MAC because of the screwed up margins on your post. Wierd how that happens

pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:25pm
yes yes, i've got a good 'ol mac. the choice was new
computer or new aquarium......well that was a no
brainer . The overflow kit that i have is a
MegaFlow over flow kit....i will hurry and download a
pic.....give me a few mins
pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:35pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:55pm

That IS a "durso standpipe" design. You can check this website to find info on fine tuning it.

http://www.dursostandpipes.com/ 

If you are still having problems let us know and we will do our best to help.

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 10:56pm

That looks like a durso. Is the flow down the pipe steady or does the water surge down enevenly. You may need to make the little hole on the top bigger if its not getting enough air for proper drainage.

pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 11:19pm
i'll try opening up that top hole some more. about
where should my water level in the overflow be
sitting in relation to the durso pipe. i was talking to
holdencraft earlier today and he said it should be
just a bit above the strainer....is that correct. i can't
get mine to that level. my water sits right at the top of
the U bend on the pipe. i know you can adjust the
height of the pipe but the water level stays the same
in relation to the pipe

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 11:35pm
Hmmm, i think i remember the water level on my durso being about 1/2-3/4 up the horizontal section of the durso.
ryanj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2006 at 11:50pm

Do you have a sock on the drain? (where the water comes out the drain, in your sump).  I've noticed that when I take my sock off it puts a ton of bubbles into the sump and into the main tank.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 12:28am

Originally posted by Adam Haycock Adam Haycock wrote:

Hmmm, i think i remember the water level on my durso being about 1/2-3/4 up the horizontal section of the durso.

I agree with Adam. That's where mine runs.

Mike

pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 12:58am
so for some reason my water level is too high on the
durso....hmm.....i guess i'll continue to tinker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:16am

I bet its an issue of the amount of air entering the hole in the top. Maybe make it a little larger with a drill. Sometimes the hole on my durso would get partially blocked by salt and id get issues with drainage.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:18am
I put a removable PVC cap on the top of my durso so if i screwed up on the size of the hole, i could remove it and add a new cap. Make sure you would be able to fix it if you made the hole too big.
pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 1:43am
about how large of a hole did you drill?? the hole i
have on the top right now is about 1/4" in diameter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 2:08am

Im not sure how big mine was, but 1/4" sounds on the larger side. What happens when you plug the hole?

pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 2:16am
i only opened the hole up 1/16" to 1/8" from its
original size. when i plug the hole on top the water in
the overflow drops about and inch to inch and a half
and it starts sucking air and water through the lower
holes
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:45am

The drain line on the downside of the bulkhead also affects how the Durso works. If there are too many turns and bends, the water sort of surges then ebbs at points down the line. This affects the Durso operation. This is why a Durso does not always work. There is a better way, but it involves cutting in a Gate Valve near the end of the drain and using a better strainer at the inlet. I'd keep messing with the size of that air hole. Try reducing it rather than enlarging it. Put an airline over the nipple. Squeeze the airline with your finger to reduce it's size. If that works, place an adjustable valve or tie a loose knot, or....

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Rocky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rocky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 9:46am
It might be a good idea to buy yourself some pvc and make yourself a durso standpipe...one that can properly be adjusted. You must be able to adjust the hole to match the amount of water you are pumping through the tank. Using a drill and guessing on a hole leaves alot of room for error. Even then you are still limited, like in my case I had to put a T off of my return and cycle half my water back to the sump. But I only have one 1" drain and realy should have 2.
Rocky Phillips
Hill AFB, Utah

Currently Tankless :(

pilot_172 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pilot_172 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2006 at 10:53am
i haven't tried messing with the downside of the drain yet. i'll fiddle with that and see if it helps, if not then i'll go back to the air hole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic