Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reef under a microscope

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reef under a microscope
    Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:53pm

Leather coral 100x

Leather coral 40x

Nannochloropsis 100x

Caulerpa racemosa 40x

Chaetomorpha 40x

Caulerpa prolifera 40x

Caulerpa paspaloides

crushed zoanthid

Mushroom 40x

Mushroom 100x

Hair algae 100x

Pod 40x

Edited by BananaTropics
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 12:59pm
Cool.  thanks for sharing.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 1:15pm
very cool!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 1:32pm

Hey Adam.  Looking at that first pic... that is exactly what I've done to count the # of zooxanthellae per square inch on a coral.  If anyone wants to donate a couple frags from a couple different corals, maybe I'll do that experiment again and give you a number of zoox in your corals. 
May be good info to compare your corals to other club members???

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 4:24pm
Cool Pix!! Thanks!
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2004 at 5:12pm
How big of frags do they need to be Adam?  I could contribute a couple.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 8:55pm

Sean- sorry didn't see your post until now.  The smaller the better.  Like a 1/2 to 1 inch frag is best.  Soft corals are actually easier to count zooxanthellae on, but I don't usually do that.

ADAM- can I use your pics in an article, and copywrite them under UtahReefs.com?

Adam

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 9:11pm
All I have is some SPS, Corallimorpharians and Zoanthus.  Which do you prefer?
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2004 at 9:18pm

Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

ADAM- can I use your pics in an article, and copywrite them under UtahReefs.com?

Yes

Edited by BananaTropics
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 6:07am
Cool!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 8:38am

Sean- well, I wouldn't mind looking into comparing some sps corals.  A little more difficult, but doable.  Like I said you only need half inch frags so it doesn't really cost anything.  Time consuming to do the calculations.  Maybe I'll look into doing this again.

Adam

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2004 at 9:43am
I have a few I would donate to the cause.  If you want to come by and pick a few, that would be great.  LMK
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 9:33am

I believe this first pic is a baby brine shrimp, but not certain. (100x)

Pic 2 is a bristle worm. This was actually quite a tricky shot to get since the thing wouldn't stay in one spot on the slide. Magnified 40x i believe.

Here is an adult brine shrimp (40x)

Here is a close up of the tail (100x). This was actually really neat to look at. Small particles could be seen traveling along the dorsal side and returning toward the body on the ventral side.

This next pod is one I see quite a bit in my tank. It looks like a little red bug running all over the place (usually seen on the sand) (40x)

Here's a closeup of the "claws". I should mention that its pretty much impossible to get the whole field in focus under a microscope when dealing with larger 3D objects. (100x)

A closeup of the tail region (100x)

This pod is one of the most common in my tank. (40x)

Different one, but on its back (40x)

This one was also amazing to look at at 100x. Small particles (possibly microalgae) were seen directionally moving through the body in "vessels".

Another 100x shot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 5:37pm

Mark, here is a pic of the sample you brought me. Magnified 400x.

Here is a closeup of the fiber-like structures. I think it may be next to impossible to identify what they are, but at least we know it isn't microalgae.

Anyone recognize this worm species?

here is the wood polyp we were looking at...

Edited by BananaTropics
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 6:20pm

Those long cylindrical things in the first two pictures could be diatoms.  the woods polyp pics are very cool.

So what kind of microscope do you have and how are you taking the pictures?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2004 at 6:37pm

Diatoms huh? I'll do some searches for some pics.

It is a cheap binocular compound microscope from Precision*World (ebay company)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7 1407&item=3838088521&rd=1

To take a picture, I just put a camera up to one of the eye pieces and shoot. This is how we did it in all of my biology labs even if we had the expensive built-in cameras.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2004 at 4:02am
It was absolutely awesome to look at the Woods Polyps. In some areas the Zooxanthellae were moving around, and the polyp did a couple of contractions as I watched it. Definitely "too cool."

Thanks Adam H.

The fibers are all that's left in water that used to be a phyto culture! This is a typical crash. The color is yellow in sunlight and cloudy white under VHO strong actinic lighting. Thanks to Adam for offering to put it under the microscope. I once heard that a fungus starts to grow which may produce toxins that kill the algae I don't know, but would like to
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 8:56pm
bump
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 9:01pm
those are really cool
EagleEyez5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EagleEyez5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2008 at 9:56pm
the oldest bump in the history of the club.....

WMAS PAID SPONSOR
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic