Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

new filtration system help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: new filtration system help
    Posted: December 23 2007 at 11:58pm
I am going to swith up my filtration and need some suggestions.  Currently I am running the poor man filtration with two power heads and sponges, skimmer, and LR.  It is fine but I want clearer water.  I always have that white fog.  So I was thinking a cheap fix would maybe be a cannister filter from everything I have read.  I do not have much money so any suggestions would help and if anyone has a used cannister I could buy that would be nice too.  Is a cannister filter the best way to go?  By the way my tank is a 29 gal.  Thanks guys.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 12:11am
Is a cannister filter the best way to go?  

No, a sump would be. But if thats not in your plans then you can run a canister. I ran one on my first salt tank. a 37g. I had nothing but problems. Once I started going bigger I went sumps and have never looked back.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 12:11am
White fog? Have you tried using carbon?

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 12:13am
I tried putting some in with my sponges is there another way to run carbon?
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 12:14am
Cannister fiters will do the job; but are more expensive and if you don't buy the right kind, can be hard to prime, hard to change filter media, etc.

When you're on a budget, the best way to deal with your problem, IMHO, is a Hang-on-the-back filter.  My favorite is Aquaclear.  It has a large body that will hold a lot of media.  It usually comes with a mesh bag that holds carbon, a sponge, and maybe some other materials.  To buy it, I would go to petsmart.com, print out the price of the filter that you want, then bring it to your local petsmart and they will honor the internet price for you, which will save you A LOT of money.

I would place the sponge at the bottom of the basket, then a big chunk of filter floss in the middle, then the carbon on top. 

Don't bother with the fiter floss from the fishstore, they are very expensive.  Instead go to Walmart and go to the Fabric section and look for the floss that is used for pillow (I think).  2 bucks will last you a life time.  The floss is the material that will catch all of the particulates in the water and clear your tank up.  You can just throw it away when it becomes dirty.

Carbon will absorb yellowing substance in your water and make the tank seem much clearer.  When you're done with the carbon (usually a month or so), I would just cut the bag, throw away the carbon inside, buy some bulk carbon and put them in the bag; a much cheaper solution.

If you have trouble looking for the stuffs that I mention, let me know and I'll see if I can help you out.
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 12:15am
Good point Dkle. Well said.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 12:32am
Thanks dkle I like your idea and I think that is the way I will go.  But what do you think of this bio wheel?  Bad way to go or is the aquaclear better.
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 12:43am
Biowheel is not beneficial in a reef setting.  Its main function is to convert ammonia to nitrite then nitrite to nitrate.  Ammonia and nitrite are very toxic to fish and need to be converted to nitrate.  Nitrate is harmless; but at a high level can have detrimental effects on corals and fish and can also fuel nuisance algae growth.  In a reef tank, the live rocks and live sand convert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate for you.  Plus, liverock and a deep sandbed will convert nitrate back to nitrogen which will bubble out of the tank.  Using biowheel in this setting just is not helpful and can increase the nitrate level.

And if you take a look at the design, the Aquaclear wins out everytime.  Well, I am sorta biasedLOL.

If you want to take a look at the Aquaclear and live not too far away from Taylorsville, you're more than welcome to stopy by my house.  I run it in my 10g freshwater planted tank.

Edited by dkle - December 24 2007 at 12:44am
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 12:44am
I would use the AC HOB filter or a Two Little Fishies reactor.

Mike

Eventine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eventine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 1:37am
Marine aquatics has some HOB refugiums with skimmers that aren't too expensive. It works great on the 130 but we used to have one on the 29 and that water was crystal clear.
CrimsRayne's offical water mule

West Jordan
LordMaximo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordMaximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 3:12pm

On my first salt tank, years ago, I ran a Magnum 350 and a HOB setup.

The two worked very well, my tank was clean and the fish happy. But, I was not running a reef tank either, just fish alone and no real exotic critters. But for what its worth, a canister to get started and then onto a sump set-up in the future. I would agree with everyone who has a sump, they are worth the efforts to running SW tanks.

Maximo

Trigger Master
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 3:18pm
My first tank was a 37 gallon.  I had a hang on the back filter from Wal Mart.  It was cheap, the replacement filters were cheap, and it kept the water clean.  I'd go that route again if it were me.  I'd get the big one that has the intake in the middle (the pipe that hangs down) and a filter pad on each side.
Danner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 3:59pm
basically all you are gonna use the filter for it to remove setiment and run carbon. if thats the case then walmart is a great idea. just depending how crowded and you tank is gonna be. if you are gonna have corals then leathers will take out amonias and mitrates out of your water. i personally love my devils hand and toadstool my amonias are always at 0

Ryan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 4:26pm
Leather corals do not remove ammonia and nitrates. They require zero ammonia and nitrates to be healthy.

Mike

superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 10:38pm
I didn't read many of the other posts, so if I'm just repeating things, sorry... I've been running my 29 gal for a year now with an AC 110, I picked  up on the board for like $10, it has worked great, it's actually probably overkill... anyway, Aqua Clears are awesome for smaller tanks!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Ed Taylor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed Taylor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2007 at 10:57pm
Although I think a biowheel works fine, and converts to nitrate just like the aquaclear, they never seem to flow as much water for me. I get more flow out of my small aquaclear or wal-mart filters than I do penguin or emperors.

155 Bowfront
90 tall, tangs, softies
70 tall, fresh
72 bowfront FO (sons tank)
55 fresh (sons)
30 hex fresh (daughter's)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordMaximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 2:06pm

There are many ways to filter the tank. Its up to how much do you really want to get into it all. Do you just a simple fix, run an external canister and a HOB refugium with a medium sized skimmer. That will actually aloow you to control the fugium growth with out having all the cumbersome plumbing down onto the lower level of your stand.

Although the HOB refugium, if you buy one already to go, it does bend the pocket a bit, or you can piece meal the unit over a small period of time.

Or you can really take the time and build a nice copy of one to HOB your tank. And then continue to peice meal it all together.

Here is one from the Dr.s' site, it is a nice setup for the quick and simple HOB refugium. Not a bad price with the built in skimmer.

Trigger Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 26 2007 at 5:16pm
Just baught the aquaclear filter and set her up.  Thanks you guys.  The water is already getting clearer so I am excited.  I have been lokking at the HOB refugiums and they look pretty sweet so time to start saving up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LordMaximo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 7:45am
Good to here of the success with the aquaclear unit. I run a HOB-canister attached to my UG filter tray in the reverse mode and a powerhead on the opposite side of the tank in the reverse mode, along with a HOB Whisper for the particles. Soon I will have a skimmer on the tank as well. This is my large cichlid tank. It stays very clean and allows for less water changes. Just rinse the filter pads once a week and use my portable canister to vacuum the tank on a bi-weekly function as well.
Soon I will have my sump/ refugium built and ready to go for the 55gln SW. Untill then, FW for now.

Maximo

Trigger Master
kasiki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kasiki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2007 at 3:14pm

You can turn your Aquaclear into a fuge also.  Not sure how effective it is but it might be worth looking into if you are on a budget.  Here is a thread showing how this person made his.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic