Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Worst bloom I've ever seen. please help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lwalloch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwalloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worst bloom I've ever seen. please help
    Posted: March 15 2015 at 3:37am
I started my tank a few weeks as go. And right now it's so cloudy you c an hardly m wake out what is in it. I changed over to a sump from a back hanging filter, did a 10 gal water change and it seemed to have gotten worse. Also tried adding microbes and using clarity with no bavail.

Edited by Lwalloch - March 15 2015 at 3:39am
LHW
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 3:49am
Is the tank receiving any direct sunlight?

Looks like a suspended algae bloom to me. What are your water parameters? Are you using RO/DI water?

A UV sterilizer will clear it up if it is an algae bloom, but waiting out the cycle would have the same results ultimately.
125g 90g 2x33g 34g
What stores do I recommend?
Up North: Bill ( Saltwater Paradise 801-317-8115 )
Down South: Jerry ( Reef On 801-563-0600 )

Member of GCFB
Lwalloch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwalloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2015 at 9:10am
Temp at 77, took water to Ocd, other than calcium and magnesium everything else was within parameters. It is in partially I front of a window with no direct sunlight. Yes I used ro water.

Edited by Lwalloch - March 15 2015 at 10:43am
LHW
Lwalloch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwalloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 7:59am
With thanks to Pete, Wil, Rusty at Benipets and those at Live Rock and Reef, after a month of headachs and losing hair, and almost losing fish. I've finally got my tank crystal clear. The consensus or culprit was Utah rock, and equipment not strong enough to handle the size of the tank I have.
After much advice from many I first got rid of all trace of the Utah rock which started the clear up. Then replaced the pump in my sump from one which was apparently only pushing through around 200 gal an hour for a new one pushing 800. Replaced the leaky overflow and redesigned my sump and finally added a steralizer my water is clear.   
Thanks for all your help guys. You all are awesome!

Sadly all the coral in the tank died in the process.......

Edited by Lwalloch - April 15 2015 at 8:01am
LHW
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 9:09am
If you're ever in my neck of the woods feel free to swing by for some free corals :)

Glad it finally got cleared up. Nice work!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Softplan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Softplan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:39pm
If the water is green then it's an easy fix.  A UV sterilizer will fix the problem in less than a week.  My new tank did the same thing.

Good news is all the copepods and other bugs in your tank will be multiplying like crazy.  
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 12:47pm
Please excuse me, but I need to clear something up.  I was initially involved with this tank but soon parted. From what I was told later by the owner about what was happening and the multiple things that were employed to resolve the algae bloom, the Utah Rock was not the "culprit", but it was the scapegoat. This was a new tank that, for a while, was undergoing almost daily mishaps. Issues arose because of actions contrary to principles of good reefkeeping and contrary to my direct advice. For example, about 5 or 6 fish and 2 large Urchins were added within weeks of setup. I needn't go into anything more. Suffice it to say that I'm pleased to read that it has cleared up. Big smile

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 1:08pm
I agree.  Chance the rock caused issues is incredibly rare.  As in I don't believe it.

But happy to see the issue is no longer present.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 1:14pm
If this transitions into another discussion about Utah Rock I'll need to be checked into a mental ward.

Of course there are ALREADY plenty of justifiable reasons to book me hahhahha

LET'S JUST BE HAPPY HIS TANK IS BETTER AND NOT GET IN ANY PISSING MATCHES

Edited by Pete Moss - April 15 2015 at 1:14pm
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2015 at 6:15pm
Agreed. Smile
We have this image of the algae bloom. How about a pic of the tank as it looks now?

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Lwalloch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lwalloch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2015 at 12:02pm
Well since the self proclaimed master of reef keeping has demanded it, here is your picture.

In response to your comments if you were to remember right I had only 1 fish in that tank and the other fish were with the urchins in my other tank.

And what you see here were moved over from that other tank along with the coral seen here. Just so you don't get further confused.
Thank you mr Aloha

Edited by Lwalloch - April 19 2015 at 3:42am
LHW
Pete Moss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete Moss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2015 at 1:21pm
Snap. Tank looks great! Nice!
125g 90g 2x33g 34g

Member of GCFB
Trevor40 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trevor40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2015 at 4:50pm
This was a fun read;)
Call or Text (801)834-3119
rmw2g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmw2g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2015 at 11:26am
Ha ha great news, however, good luck with that Strawberry Pseudo. I give it about 3 days till it starts attacking everything in that tank lol. Beautiful little guys but, damn, the last time I had one, well, that'll be the last time I have one. It now lives in Paul's 220. But who am i to talk I got dominos. 
Less Technology. More Biology.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic